What Size battery for higher compression engine?

jefffoxsr

I don't know what my compression ratio is, but the block has been decked a little and so have the GN1 aluminum heads.

The battery is new. It is rated at 875 CCA.

The alternator is brand new.

Both of these have just been put in the car.

There is NO draw on the battery when the car is off. I just measured with the digital volt meter.

Here is the problem. When I go out for a ride and stop at the has station, the car won't start after and I need a jump. The battery turns over super slow.

I check voltage before I leave the house, etc. The old battery was good and so is this new one.

This has been a problem since the rebuild 9 years ago although I only have about 1,500 miles on the car since the rebuild. (just Sunday driving)

If I don't stop at the gas station the car will start fine the next morning.

I now a hot engine won't turn over as easily, but my thinking is that I need a stronger battery.
Do they make a stronger one than 875 CCA?

What other factors do I need to look at?

Put a load test on the battery after driving it and also check charging voltage, if both are ok it sounds like you have a heat soak problem with the starter. are you running the stock starter or do you have a smaller starter installed? If your running the stock unit I would think your starter is getting too hot and that is the cause of your problems...hth

How long will the car sit and still start normally without a jump?
Can you go for weeks without running the car and it still start without a jump?

Thanks for the replies.

The starter is stock. I can't remember when I put it in, but there's only a few thousand miles on it at the most.

Does a starter get heat soaked if it it's old, or broken?

The car can sit for a few weeks and turn over fine.

Should I just get a stock starter, and if not, what is the advantage of an LT1 starter or another type?

In looking around on this forum it looks like the LT4 starter would be a good option. They are $118 locally.

Is this one still a good one to get?

The LT1 and LT4 starters are far smaller in diameter, thus keeping them a bit further from the heat sources, also have a gear reduction built in them...

bigal6142@yahoo.com

He's a supporting vendor and has the mini starter with correct bolts.

This would be the first GN with a heat soak issue but it's possible.

But I'd bet your motor is 8:5:1 compression and I believe the chips have either 0 timing at startup or retarded so you don't need a lot of cranking amps as long as the battery is good.