What Shock For The Factory Ride?

Linewalker

Right now, I have KYB shocks on my car. The ride is too stiff for my old body. What shock provides the smoothest (factory) ride?

TIA

Have you thought about getting some adjustable shocks? That way you can have it soft for the street and stiffen it up a bit for the track.

Personally I like the range of the Varishock QS2s, but they do cost a pretty penny.

Qa1 and Viking both have cheap single adjustable shocks that should be able to give you a softer ride.

What is the spring rate in your car? That also has an affect on the ride stiffness.

You can get A/C Delco from highway stars or a Delco dealer. I have them on my cars and like them.

Delco is now made in Mexico and I tried a set. Junk, my previous ones were made in the USA. I like the Monroe Sensatrac for a stock ride and made in the USA.

Really? Junk? I was about to order a set. Thanks for the advice. I guess I dodged that bullet, thanks to you. I like products made in the USA. Most of the time it's quality stuff.

X2 on the Varishock! crazy adjustability! I have the Vikings on my Mustang and with DA u can really tune them to how u like to drive. When I first got the car I had them on the super soft street settings. Car ran so smooth then I tried tp take a corner and my tire rubbed so I just backed out the settings a little till I got em right.

The adjustability on the Vikings and Varishocks are similar and so easy to get to. U def don't need ur car on a lift to do it. I can go from street settings tp track in less then 3 minutes for all 4 wheels.

There is NIGHT and DAY difference in adjustability. Like super stiff track settings to super soft don't take any corners settings and rids like a Camry! If I'm going on a long hi way trip I put them to the soft settings and the ride is like a stock car but better!

Have you thought about getting some adjustable shocks? That way you can have it soft for the street and stiffen it up a bit for the track.

Personally I like the range of the Varishock QS2s, but they do cost a pretty penny.

Qa1 and Viking both have cheap single adjustable shocks that should be able to give you a softer ride.

What is the spring rate in your car? That also has an affect on the ride stiffness.

Last edited:
Right now, I have KYB shocks on my car. The ride is too stiff for my old body. What shock provides the smoothest (factory) ride?

TIA

I replace my original shocks over 20 years with KYB ,and your right they were very stiff. Six years later I had enough
and replace the KYB with 4 Bilstein and 15 years later i'm still happy, and I have and old Body as well to.

<scratching head> I trashed KYB's in favor of Billsteins because the KYB was not firm enough.
My guess is something like the Monroe will give the closest to factory ride.

Hey guys! What rating on spring weight for Front and for Back are you running on Vikings and may be others like AQ1 if spring rates are similar?? So lets say that for street and track coil-over all corners setup? Thanks

Billsteins for over 20yrs now. On two GN's & they still not only look good..... they ride good. My 83 yr old dad thinks so too!

If you want a factory ride, there's more to it that just shocks. You'll need some skinny squishy tires too.

..and no poly bushings.

Has anybody tried disconnecting their shocks to see how the car rides just on the springs? Would be a good experiment. If still too firm then you need softer springs.