what radiator to get ???

BMF_Racing

ONE B.M.F.
I have the ESP FMIC that will be going on soon with the 6776 and was going to do a rad/fan swap while is all out. I was looking into a 32"x19" Griffen (not sure if it will fit a gn ?, fits in my other g-body, '82 olds cutlass) alum. universal with the larger dual 1 1/4" tubes with dual 13" 2500cfm fans and custom alum shroud.

what combos have worked best for everyone?:confused:

I want the car be be able to sit in traffic, with a/c on, on a 90 + degree day and not get above 170 to 180 degrees.

Is it possible ? :confused:

thanks in advance,

Brad

Brad, my car has the fbod radiator and a 3000 cfm 16" Spal fan mounted on my homemade shroud. In the heat, with my V1 fmic, my car will not go above 160* at idle.

Be very careful with the plastic F Body Rads, I have run them but got scared after seeing the end tanks explod on one:eek: Get an aluminum one and be done with it......

f body...if you get unlucky and the tanks blow out you can buy 2 more for what some of these alumimum ones cost...

I just put an aluminum radiator from gbodyparts.com in my car last week. I haven't fired it up yet (no transmission) but it fit perfectly and has the trans and oil cooler fittings in the stock locations. Very easy to install.

Jim

f body...if you get unlucky and the tanks blow out you can buy 2 more for what some of these alumimum ones cost...

Maybe its just me but i dont think this way.Stop being cheap and do it right the first time.:wink: I sure as hell dont want one of those end tanks coming off when im going down the track @ 110+ :eek: . Blowing an end tank at that speed is not safe period.:mad:

Maybe its just me but i dont think this way.Stop being cheap and do it right the first time.:wink: I sure as hell dont want one of those end tanks coming off when im going down the track @ 110+ :eek: . Blowing an end tank at that speed is not safe period.:mad:

Just make sure the tanks on an all aluminum radiator are welded on because some are glued just like the fbody radiators.
I can't tell how the pts is but the gbody and the TR custom are welded. I was thinking going to an fbody but those look pretty sweet.

Scott

PTS has welded end tanks as well. Who in there right mind would glue the end tanks?
14201d1150347924-radiators-all-aluminum-bolt-replacements-radiator-008sm.jpg

14198d1150347801-radiators-all-aluminum-bolt-replacements-radiator-003sm.jpg

I think gm would have to going from plastic to aluminum, but I have seen aluminum radiators that use some sort of epoxy instead of welds at my brothers shop. I'm sure it's just a cost savings.

Blowing any fluid out at that speed isn't safe. I've had mine for a year and no problems, as a matter of fact this is the first time I've heard of an f body rad blowing the end tanks off.

I'm far from cheap when it comes to my car,ask my wife.

Who says an f body swap isn't "doing it right". I can't make my car get over 180 and I have a PTE front mount.:cool:

PTS has welded end tanks as well. Who in there right mind would glue the end tanks?
14201d1150347924-radiators-all-aluminum-bolt-replacements-radiator-008sm.jpg

14198d1150347801-radiators-all-aluminum-bolt-replacements-radiator-003sm.jpg

I know that years ago Griffin Radiators epoxied their tanks. Had a leak on one of their big buck radiators in my pro street 66 Chevelle and it couldn't be repaired so I had to buy another one. Not sure if they still make them that way or not.

On plastic radiator tanks, just had one blow out in my 96 Blazer but it did have 154,000 miles on it.:redface:

Yeah lets say you are going down the track at 100+mph and it blows:eek: How much is going to cost to replace your car or your but:eek:

I blowed a headgasket one time that sent pressure back through the system, it blowed the hose off. I feel sure it would have blowed a plastic tank to pieces at high boost....