What Mic and dial bore gauge?

Don't scrimp on the mic set. Get a good name brand set. Used is fine as long as it's old enough to be quality yet new enough to be modern. A set of standards good to have too. If they aren't calibrated you can't check anything but clearances.

On the bore gauge I've had good luck with the Shars set. I've put my gauge against a Snap-On and a Mitutoyo bore gauge and the all three read the same and the repeatably was the same. If you look in the 'how-to' section where I spent way too much time going over my rods you can see the exact tools I use.

The ends arent supposed to be fine, they have a blunt radius ground on them. I suggest watching a youtube video of how to use the gauge just so you get the gist, its tough to explain in words but itd take me 15 seconds to show you haha.

OK, I'll go mechanical, it's cheaper anyways.

So how's this one? http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...2-3-x-0001-od-micrometer-enamel-ratchet-w-std

And then the telescopic bore gauge

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...re-gauge-sets/2-1-4-to-3-1-2-telescoping-gage

Well this be a good combo for what I want to do?

Thx

Mitutoyo makes some quality tools. I have both Mitutoyo and Starrett I like the Mitutoyo better but only for the price. I try to buy American when all else is equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ends arent supposed to be fine, they have a blunt radius ground on them. I suggest watching a youtube video of how to use the gauge just so you get the gist, its tough to explain in words but itd take me 15 seconds to show you haha.
Yeah it looks to have a slight radius, I suppose the closet the radius matches the bearings radius or caps, the more accurate. I know the pointy ends can scratch the bearings and actually make it read larger.

I will buy the 2 in my previous post since it seems to be a good combo. I appreciate the input!

And thank you to everyone who has helped.

Should be fun, I always wanted to put together a engine. I have a friend who has put together a lot of engines so the other tools required he has.