What is your oil pressure after making a few WOT passes at idle?

boostmaster

Just trying to get an idea about what is normal. My oil pressure is good around 15-20 psi at idle after warm up and regular driving but after making a few WOT blasts it drops down to around 7-10 psi at idle and the valve trane is pretty noisey. Not tappety tap noisey but almost sounds like I have a solid lifter cam in it but I have a flat tappet hydraulic in it. So what is normal and should I be concerned?

Thanks, Pete

What weight oil and what brand/# filter are you running ?

10w -40, oil filter is Purolator I don't remember the number right off hand but it's just the standard line filter. Also I run the extended length filter that fits the I think Chevy V6 or LeSabre not the standard short length filter.

10-15 is normal but have seen lower. Unopened or rebuilt engine?

As long as oil pressure responds quick to rpm your ok. I would switch to some vr1 20/50 racing oil and get a wix or mobile 1 filter. That may help.

Just my $.02

10w -40, oil filter is Purolator I don't remember the number right off hand but it's just the standard line filter. Also I run the extended length filter that fits the I think Chevy V6 or LeSabre not the standard short length filter.

As a cheap and easy test switch that filter out for a Purolator Pure1 filter. That might make enough of a difference to quiet the vavletrain down at idle. Even better would be to switch to a biggie kit.

And if the counter person can't find a part when you give them a part number (it has happened to me more than once) tell them you have a '94 S-10 with a 4.3L. That will get you a long filter.

If they can't find the part After you give them the part number... Quickly walk away and never come back. :eek:

Before I bought my GN my daily driver was a TVR. Back then Autozone was the only game in town and it was even a bitch getting a set of NGK BR8ES as they go by the little 4 digit part number that I've NEVER noticed before.

I can still here those goofy 'partsmen'.. 'What kind of car?"....

Just trying to get an idea about what is normal. My oil pressure is good around 15-20 psi at idle after warm up and regular driving but after making a few WOT blasts it drops down to around 7-10 psi at idle and the valve trane is pretty noisey. Not tappety tap noisey but almost sounds like I have a solid lifter cam in it but I have a flat tappet hydraulic in it. So what is normal and should I be concerned?

Thanks, Pete

I tried some Edelbeock 10-40 High Performance oil with high zinc content (non synthetic), and my oil pressure stays higher after a few runs than with regular 10-40 like Castrol with a ZDDP additive added. It's made by Torco Oil Co. It costs as much from Summit as Mobil 1 costs from the local auto parts store, but I think it is worth it.

Boostmaster: I got an e-mail from the forum with your question, but it did not show up in this thread. To answer your question "And what is the pressure after your runs?" , my oil pressure is usually 18-20 at idle with Castrol 10-40 after running hard. With the Edelbrock oil, it's 23-24. The pressure through the lights is 70-75. I had to adjust it down a little with the adjustable regulator because it was around 80 after the change in oil. Probably any brand racing oil will hold viscosity when hot better than plain old oil.

Boostmaster: I got an e-mail from the forum with your question, but it did not show up in this thread. To answer your question "And what is the pressure after your runs?" , my oil pressure is usually 18-20 at idle with Castrol 10-40 after running hard. With the Edelbrock oil, it's 23-24. The pressure through the lights is 70-75. I had to adjust it down a little with the adjustable regulator because it was around 80 after the change in oil. Probably any brand racing oil will hold viscosity when hot better than plain old oil.

Yeah I don't know why that happened. I didn't respond to your post in an email. Anyway thanks for your reply, I got the Napa Gold filter and some 15w-40 Rotella I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I'll report back with the results.

Yeah I don't know why that happened. I didn't respond to your post in an email. Anyway thanks for your reply, I got the Napa Gold filter and some 15w-40 Rotella I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I'll report back with the results.
Hey Bud ! What's up? Are you back home? My 109 block with a TA Perf frt cover and 10w30 Mobile #1 and pf 52 A/C filter I am 25-30 lbs and 60-70 at w/o at the track. With yours that low I'd try some Lucus oil Stablizer. I 've used Rotella 30 for break in but not as a regular oil. I like Mobile #1. Are you useing ZZDP with that hydraulic cam you need too.
Give a description of the engine you are running currently. What turbo , times at the track etc. I ran mine a couple of times on an upprepped track ran 120 mph with out hooking going to try it again Sat. A friend of mine loaned me a set of drag radials on 4" back spaced wheels. I'm useing 28" tall Micky's on my 31/2 " back spaced wheels and need a lot of air in air bags to keep body off the side walls 60 fts suck. See ya! John

Hey Bud ! What's up? Are you back home? My 109 block with a TA Perf frt cover and 10w30 Mobile #1 and pf 52 A/C filter I am 25-30 lbs and 60-70 at w/o at the track. With yours that low I'd try some Lucus oil Stablizer. I 've used Rotella 30 for break in but not as a regular oil. I like Mobile #1. Are you useing ZZDP with that hydraulic cam you need too.
Give a description of the engine you are running currently. What turbo , times at the track etc. I ran mine a couple of times on an upprepped track ran 120 mph with out hooking going to try it again Sat. A friend of mine loaned me a set of drag radials on 4" back spaced wheels. I'm useing 28" tall Micky's on my 31/2 " back spaced wheels and need a lot of air in air bags to keep body off the side walls 60 fts suck. See ya! John

Yeah John, just got back last week end. I haven't ran the car at the track yet been trying to get the bugs worke out. I'm planning on running in a couple of weeks. I had been battling overheating problems the last time I fired it up before I went back to Afghanistan. So I put a bigger radiator in it with a larger internal oil cooler and also ran a bigger external oil cooler in series. I'm running a 4.1 with a TA6365 turbo, 1.65 roller rockers with a crane 218-226 hydrualic flat tappet cam. I'm going to try the Napa Gold oil filter and the new oil if the results don't pan out I'll look into getting a new front cover. I'm getting about 60-70 lbs at WOT also.

120 mph? Man you're flying 10's are on the way, post it up when you hit the mark.

Yeah John, just got back last week end. I haven't ran the car at the track yet been trying to get the bugs worke out. I'm planning on running in a couple of weeks. I had been battling overheating problems the last time I fired it up before I went back to Afghanistan. So I put a bigger radiator in it with a larger internal oil cooler and also ran a bigger external oil cooler in series. I'm running a 4.1 with a TA6365 turbo, 1.65 roller rockers with a crane 218-226 hydrualic flat tappet cam. I'm going to try the Napa Gold oil filter and the new oil if the results don't pan out I'll look into getting a new front cover. I'm getting about 60-70 lbs at WOT also.

120 mph? Man you're flying 10's are on the way, post it up when you hit the mark.
Pete with the 4.1 are you getting oil to both sides of the lifters. We had to put a crossover pipe at the back of the block to oil both sides. Maybe that was only because of the roller cam we used no oil hole in the front cam brg. Pull your valve covers and make sure both sides are getting oil thru the push rods. See ya! John