What is your Grand National/GNX worth?

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
First of all I want to apologize to all T-Type, Turbo T's, Limited etc owners this comparison is for GN's and GNX's only. I added the GNX because as it goes up in value the GN's are right behind it and then the rest of the TR community.

With all of the prices going through the roof here lately two GNX's selling in the 6 digit + range the prices are going up and I don't know where they might level off? I'm seeing GN's already in the high 20's to low 30's or more.

I took a look at NADA classics and here is what I found. Note all of these had factory air as a option to check off (I don't think a GN was ever made without air?) I'm sure others like Kelly Blue book etc will be different.

Some interesting numbers I thought.

1982 GN
Low $6,588.00
Avg. $10,290.00
High $18,795.00

1984 GN
Low $7,260.00
Avg. $11,275.00
High $ 20,680.00

1985 GN
Low $6,902.00
Avg. $10,340.00
High $17,930.00

1986 GN
Low $14,410.00
Avg. $30,030.00
High $49,830.00

1987 GN
Low $14,410.00
Avg. $30,030.00
High $49,830.00

1987 GNX
Low $60,060.00
Avg. $85,690.00
High $121,990.00

I'll take $40k for mine right now lol. I'd say given the resto-modness and miles, mine lines up around $25k or so. Not ready to take that.

At this point only the low mile stocker GN's and GNX's are worth good money. Whether or not the others go up in value or not is a question of time.

It would take high 30's to get mine... 44k miles, original engine and tranny stored from right at 43k.

Bryan

same here but it take 40 to get my GN and prolly 45 for my dads 13k mile astroroof car

Dads car

13k miles has fac tires and wheels with like 5k miles on them

this is mine 48k miles on body danstrezo heads on stock bottom end .. Dad bought his a week after I bought mine an took him for a ride! lol

Last edited:
Cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay.....Throwing numbers out are usually a pipe dream. I know what I have in my car, but I would get no where near it if I tried to sell it.

Cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay.....Throwing numbers out are usually a pipe dream. I know what I have in my car, but I would get no where near it if I tried to sell it.

I believe that is most people here. I have had my GN for 20 years and have over 50K in the car but it's worth probably half that. It's just numbers yes but you have to have somewhere to start.

Well said.

I think one of us should take our cars to Carmax and see if they agree with NADA. I'll call my buddy who wants to sell his clean 11k mile GN and see if he's willing to waste their time for fun.

Well said.

I think one of us should take our cars to Carmax and see if they agree with NADA. I'll call my buddy who wants to sell his clean 11k mile GN and see if he's willing to waste their time for fun.

Doesn't carmax use Kelley Blue book? Just sayin... Plus they are buying to resale not to keep so you won't get top dollar. I think you'll basically get trade in value

Someone waves $16k at me and the can have them both....I'm at that uninterested stage we get at after a while.

I've noticed the "values" and asking prices going up as well. However, I don't know what the actual "selling" prices have been.
I've got both of mine for sale.
86gn 89k
86ttype 73k
Either for $18k. (BTW, I think that they are worth significantly more) Asking price is WAY less then I have dumped into them over the years. Still not sold.

I think they're priced to sell but when you get other members chiming in about how they found a low mile, mint condition car in some out of the way place owned by a little old lady, for only $3k- it fuels the idea that these "finds" are commonplace. Of course, most of us know that this is simply not the case.

Most of the people looking for a car on a "budget" are looking for a car under $10k and while I know that they exist, most cars under $10k have a few issues- usually paint and body and if you want it done right you can get into the $10k range pretty quickly.

I like the idea of our cars having some value and I'm sure I'll kick myself when mine are gone as all the experts I've heard have said that they predict the TR to be one of those cars like the mopars that were cheap until they weren't and are now basically untouchable.

I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Remember the commercials, where is list cost and then saying hitting a hole in one is priceless. Owning a GN, priceless. My 86 GN, with just pictures was appraised at $12,500. I paid $13K for it. I've been offered $20k for it. Sure if someone offered me $50k for my GN I would take it and buy another one. My car is insured for $30k.