what is the difference between paint and dye?

brittken

Crazy for Sonya!!!
I have a blue dash pad in excellent shape that I would like to redo in dark claret (burgandy) to match my turbo t intierior. There is nothing wrong with what i have now i just want to see if i can redo this one to match just to have as a spare. Has anyone ever done this. I have seen people paint dashes and it looks tacky. Does dye actually change the color of the dash so if something was to scrape or nick it it wont peel off.? I would like some suggestions on how to do this. I do not want to paint it.

There is no way to dye your dash. You can only paint it with vinyl paint. SEM vinyl paint looks exactly like original finish, so the tacky jobs you speak of, are just done incorrectly, with the wrong product. It's pretty resillient but could be scratched, but is easy to repair. I've done complete interiors with it and it looks original. It's lacquer based and will come off when wiped with a lacquer thinner soaked rag. Here's six or seven photos of how it looks......

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/Image.asp?s=cano&u=1715313&a=1318916&i=10066257

Wow!!!

That is a shrp looking interior. What kind of seats are those? I have used sem color spray before and have found that it works well with hard plastics with a good primer. I just am not sure i want to put it on the dash. Why can't the dash be dyed? I just dont want anything peeling off that i have to touch up.

i woudlnt try to paint the dash at all
BUY ANOTHER

i tried to paint my pull straps and they turned out horrible... i tried to dye a light gray one burgandy and it was ruined... i correctly primed it with vynyl paint and then put 2 coats of vynyl paint on it then 1 coat of vynyl clear/sealant and the paint was taken/worn off within a week

30$ spent and all wasted!!

im sure with a dah you would use much more paint too!!

I had good luck painting pull straps.One of the keys to painting interior parts is cleaning the parts.I use dish soap and water.Paint doesn't like anything thats got ArmorAll or similar protectants on it.And most interior has been treated with ArmorAll over the years.If you don't clean properly first your going to get fisheyes and runs.Prep work is the key.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
There is no way to dye your dash. You can only paint it with vinyl paint. SEM vinyl paint looks exactly like original finish, so the tacky jobs you speak of, are just done incorrectly, with the wrong product. It's pretty resillient but could be scratched, but is easy to repair. I've done complete interiors with it and it looks original. It's lacquer based and will come off when wiped with a lacquer thinner soaked rag. Here's six or seven photos of how it looks......

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/Image.asp?s=cano&u=1715313&a=1318916&i=10066257

I have used this stuff for years on everything and anything vinyl or plastic without any negative results. Get the right stuff and you won't have a problem. ;)