What is the best et/highest horsepower on E85 and stock fuel lines?

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
Also how fast do you go before you cut off the fitting on the fuel rail and weld a -8 or -10 on?
Lastly how fast/hp before you run the duel feed?

Tom J is the guy to PM on this, I believe he still runs the stock line with a chopped feed fitting. He's also making madd bags of Popcorn with his E85 GN. :cool:

Ounce you cut of the end of the fuel rail measure it. Mine measured at .625in. Ounce I seen that I new there was no reason to change the stock rail to aftermarket one or dual feed it. So the cheapest way was to weld on a -10 fitting and be done with it. That with the weldon 2035 I didn't think I would have a probem. It was good enough for 132mph in a 3400lb car with 120inj at 90%dc cycle@10.8afr. The car should of gone faster , but I was fighting a converter issue. Thats just my experience I can't speak for the stock componets because I never used them with e85.

^ not if their alum

I was under the impression that all that talk about E-85 being corrosive to Aluminum was a bunch of BS??? People have dropped Al parts in E-85 for extended periods of time with 0 problems. It seems like the only time people have problems is from when the E-85 draws water in. Then again that doesn't make much sense either since I don't think water messes with Al unless it is many many years.

Tom,
With those stock lines.. did you make any mods to the fuel lines at all? I was thinking about modifying the fuel filter area.

I'm set up with a double pumper, stock lines, annodized aluminum rails, 120's and a fuel pressure transducer is going on the rail so I can log it on the powerlogger. It will be interesting to see if the system can maintain fuel pressure without stepping up to a -8 feed line. Will find out this spring....

Theres nothing wrong with using aluminum rails, fittings, fuel cells, etc with E85. Not only have guys been using these items for YEARs on stangs and fbody turbo cars, but they have been running STRAIGHT METH / Ethenol / Alky through these items without problems either (far more corrosive than E85 alone).

Tom,
With those stock lines.. did you make any mods to the fuel lines at all? I was thinking about modifying the fuel filter area.

I'm set up with a double pumper, stock lines, annodized aluminum rails, 120's and a fuel pressure transducer is going on the rail so I can log it on the powerlogger. It will be interesting to see if the system can maintain fuel pressure without stepping up to a -8 feed line. Will find out this spring....

I ran -10 feed and a -6 return.

Theres nothing wrong with using aluminum rails, fittings, fuel cells, etc with E85. Not only have guys been using these items for YEARs on stangs and fbody turbo cars, but they have been running STRAIGHT METH / Ethenol / Alky through these items without problems either (far more corrosive than E85 alone).

There are guys here that have had problems with Raw aluminum look a few posts down and you will see the pics they have posted from non anadized parts its the raw aluminum that is haveing trouble I may just have to drop some aluminum in a jar of e-85 today and see what it does over time.

There are guys here that have had problems with Raw aluminum look a few posts down and you will see the pics they have posted from non anadized parts its the raw aluminum that is haveing trouble I may just have to drop some aluminum in a jar of e-85 today and see what it does over time.

I have seen those posts, however I have talked to a couple manufacturers of aluminum fuel cells and aluminum fuel system components who all have said there are no issues (other than if the cell has foam the foam must be removed due to the water content in ethanol based fuels). Additionally like I said in my previous post, there are hundreds of guys outside the turbo buick community who are using E85 with aluminum cells and fuel system components without issues. I was walking around the pits at one of the E85 index races at 41 last year and talking with a number of guys racing the class and they all had not heard of any issues like the ones mentioned on this forum from running E85. Nearly all of these cars also had aluminum fuel cells, standard braided fuel lines, aluminum fuel rails, etc.

SShhh! Cliff be quiet... you're going to let the cat out of the bag!:eek::eek:

There is lot of air in the sytem depending on how full your tank is. When I was looking up the gunk problem there were a few post on other boards that had the same toruble with aluminum so its not just guys here. Ive never done any testing on my own so maybe I will. But there is always going to be serface to air contact in the tank. As for the hole aluminum problem I asked here once before if its a problem then why are we not seeing bad fuel regulators start to show up funny thing is no one said a thing not one reply.

There is lot of air in the sytem depending on how full your tank is. When I was looking up the gunk problem there were a few post on other boards that had the same toruble with aluminum so its not just guys here. Ive never done any testing on my own so maybe I will. But there is always going to be serface to air contact in the tank. As for the hole aluminum problem I asked here once before if its a problem then why are we not seeing bad fuel regulators start to show up funny thing is no one said a thing not one reply.

Thats in the tank. Unless your pump was sucking air, that should have no effect on the components down the line.

Not to say you wouldn't see some corrosion inside the tank. Like you said, depending how full you keep it and how much outside air is allowed to enter the tank.