what is needed to drop a turbo 3.8 in a camaro

86brick,
I suppose anything is possible with enough expertise.
The 9.5 compression would make up some power. Also, the lockup converter will help with ETs and MPH, if he actually locks up under boost. For sure, newcomers should take note of this combo, because I haven't read of or seen many turbo buicks running those times on iron heads. Not for long. One other point should be noted here is the fact the Formula in the article has a stock crank. The stock turbo crank doesn't seem to last long in the low 10s, but then again, expertise will help.

Brad, that is crazy fast for a 3900lb car with a stock style suspension with an LT1 block:eek: So far I've heard the fastest LT1 is running in the 8's with a carb setup and a BIG shot of nitrous and it was built by Agostino Racing in Canada, so I guess the LT1 block is a pretty strong piece (btw it was mentioned in GMHTP a while back). I guess the LT1 is a pretty strong block if it can handle over 1000hp..... I think if I was building a turboed V8 the LT1 would be a very good choice, but I'd still think a Bowtie 4 bolt main block would be my pick cause Conley has made over 2000hp with it :D

G McCall, I know what your saying about running deep in the 10's with ported irons cause usually most guys that don't have big cams and high compression LC2 motors are running 30+ psi like Marty Green who ran 10.87 @125mph with 33lbs of boost with a 1.47 60' (this was with a TA61 turbo, ported irons, 3800 stall LU converter, 206/206 billet roller cam, stretch IC, etc.). The aluminum heads like the GN1's, M&As, and hopefully the TA are much better for running in the 10's with less boost.

It can be done,just be more realistic

Sorry but you will not find a motor and trans for $700.Runnning anyway.You will have to get a complete doner car.You really need all the odds and ends.Computer,harness,etc.And dont bother contacting Steve,Ive called him many times and he keeps telling me the same things,that he will be resuming work on the swap stuff in a few weeks,and this was 2 months after I first called him.
You had better know how to weld or have someone close to you that can,because Im sure fabrication will be needed to get that motor in there.

I wouldnt give Geroge Baxters car as an example to keep this car and mod the LT1,as just the cost of the motor alone is high enough for someone to buy a Low miliage mint GN:eek: Believe it.You will be better of calling the vendors on this board and most likly Mike Mcoy might have some complete blocks n stock.Give them a call ,this will get everything in perspective,as soon as you get a price.:D

I agree with Darren that George Baxter's badass blown LT1 SS Camaro is a bad example cause I'm sure with all the money he has in that car you could build a Stage II GN like Cal Hartline's which I'm sure once he gets all the bugs sorted out will go in the 8's (it's gone 9.20's already I believe). If it were me I'd just look for a clean T-type or GN, but it's a pretty cool idea I must admit cause it would make for one hell of a sleeper! BTW, I think the swap would probably be easier with a 3rd gen f-body.

The TTA was a completely different setup than the TR.
Heads
Manifolds
Radiator - no other radiator fits - maybe you can get some thing custom made.
A/C compressor

Originally posted by Roger
The TTA was a completely different setup than the TR.
Heads
Manifolds
Radiator - no other radiator fits - maybe you can get some thing custom made.
A/C compressor
True, but a TR set up will work IF you understand that you will lose the A/C and have to fabricate a new down pipe. I remember TTA89's friend Randys Custon Shop converted his that way.
You can also use the existing radiator, but you lose the engine oil cooler, which isnt that big of a deal as you can run and external or eliminate it completely.

well rigth now im saving all i can till about winter then take it from there, if i find a motor tranny for what ive got by then, then i will for sure go the turbo v6 route.

i would like an 87 gn engine in my 1994 camaro

i really cannot afford another car nor do i want to buy one. i would also like to have the bragging rights to say that i have a kick azz v6. i just wanna know what is involved in putting the engine in the car and wireing it up to run. does anyone know the parts ill need to collect?:confused:

I think your best bet would be to give Steve Kaminski a call and speak with him about the swap cause he has done this swap with the car that was featured in GMHTP ('93 Formula with LC2 motor and 700r4 tranny). His Ph. # is 610-622-4606.
HTH:)

If you want a real kick ass V6 and don't mind taking out a loan for a year or two, wait until TA Perf. releases the alum. stage block and stuff it with good parts before slamming it in your car.

Or wait until I go to get my TA block and you can buy my drivetrain, all bolt-ons included. :)

Keep in mind this might take a LITTLE WHILE. 4 more years isn't too long is it?(college student here) :D

turbo the lt1

If it were me I would turbo the lt1. I have a friend with a t66 on a lt1 but he is useing a t56 trans and made over 600hp and 600fbs. The car is also very street worthy but has not been to the track for numbers yet. I also have another friend with a L98 and twin to4's with a 700r4 that is well over 600hp and fbs on 14 psi. The car runs 11.00 at 131 on radials[nittos] it would be hard to do that with the same money in a buick engine. Trust me I know it is all I can do to keep up with 30psi.

twin T04's on a L98, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

i'll eventually do something like that on my next GTA :):):):)

sweet is wright

sweet is wright drive to the track run 11.00s drive home most of the time. Did I say stock sup. and 1.57 60ft.

Re: sweet is wright

Originally posted by malibuick231
sweet is wright drive to the track run 11.00s drive home most of the time. Did I say stock sup. and 1.57 60ft.

very nice, what car is it in?

tell him to check us out at www.nethirdgen.org

we're a weird bunch but we like to have fun :D

Re: i would like an 87 gn engine in my 1994 camaro

Originally posted by needtobefaster
i really cannot afford another car nor do i want to buy one. i would also like to have the bragging rights to say that i have a kick azz v6. i just wanna know what is involved in putting the engine in the car and wireing it up to run. does anyone know the parts ill need to collect?:confused:

I only have experience with one intercooled V-6 Buick that has 5 speed manual transmission. My opinion is that you are NOT going
to have a "kick azz" Camero. This has already been mentioned in this thread, but you can go and spend lots of money to reach this same conclusion. The Buick turbo and 5 speed is a BAD match for drag racing.

To answer your question, you need a complete GN engine with all accessories and complete the wiring harness. After it is in the car, make sure you have access to someone that can integrate the wiring into your car if you are not very good at electronics. As an alternate to factory wiring and ECM, you can get an aftermarket DFI for $3000 or so.

twins

this is a 87 corvette it belongs to Jerry Myers and was built at turbo specialties.The same place I built my car at it helps to be friends with the owner.

Re: twins

Originally posted by malibuick231
this is a 87 corvette it belongs to Jerry Myers and was built at turbo specialties.The same place I built my car at it helps to be friends with the owner.

bah! its a vette :rolleyes: :D ;)

turbo cars

I would have done a v8 but the owner is big in buicks and helped me out with a lot of parts. Dont get me wrong I like the v6 they are still fast cars but too many mustangs have also found out about turbos and it is hard to keep up. So before long I am going to the v8 also.