what is needed to drop a turbo 3.8 in a camaro

needtobefaster

i've got a 94 camaro 5spd, and get this i think it runs in the high 15's low 16's well then that is unacceptable. :mad: im gonna pick up a turbo 3.8 cause well the GNs rule. soo what all is needed. i saw a few good running motors in your for sale forum, around $700. maybe with a trans. what else is needed. how much stuff will i need? how much loot will i have to save?:( thanx guys

Moving this thread to the "Tech Section".

Good luck to you on your possible swap. :)

hey hey, im doing the same thing here! cept im ripping out the LT1 and hunting down a turb buick motor. now my only concern is holding on to my t56:confused:

Originally posted by needtobefaster
i saw a few good running motors in your for sale forum, around $700. maybe with a trans. what else is needed. how much stuff will i need? how much loot will i have to save?:( thanx guys

Not to put down your idea, but when you can get a GN engine and trans for $700, or even just an engine for that matter, let us all know.;)

You will also have to dump that 5 speed. It will melt from the torque and also these engines do not like manual trannies

Your going to need between $2500 and $5000 to do the swap. $2500 if you find the parts cheap and do all the work yourself. $5000 if you pay someone to do the swap. I bought my GN with a brand new engine and tranny for $5400

Steve Kaminski is the guy that built that Trans Am in GMHTP. He's done several other cars, and does nice work. He's located in NJ. Do a search on this board and you might be able to find his contact info.

As mentioned by several others above...
- A running motor for $700 is going to be really hard to find.
- $700 for motor & trans... forget about it (1 in a million chance).
- Forget the 5-speed, use an auto (200R4, 4L60, etc.).

-Banning.

Originally posted by 93formula
hey hey, im doing the same thing here! cept im ripping out the LT1 and hunting down a turb buick motor. now my only concern is holding on to my t56:confused:

Can I ask why?

There is a huge aftermarket for LT1 cars. They can make great power. Why would you spend all that money just to put an LC2 in it? :confused:

Originally posted by 93formula

The car will be SLOWER with the GN motor and a t56. These motors absolutely need an automatic to spool up the turbo. If you don't want an auto, you don't want a GN motor. Simple as that.

I'm with you on this one Kenny.

I would rip the lt1 out, rebuild it to lower the compression, and slap a turbo on there. George 30th aniversery SS is putting out well over 1000 hp in his LT1. 650 HP is the max for a LC2, anything above that will send the crank through the bottom of the block.

G McCall, when the Formula with the Buick motor ran 10.20 @130mph this was with a 1.43 60' and the 20lbs of boost is very possible when you consider the combo is a PT70 4 bolt turbo, fully ported iron heads with port matched intake, a PTE FMIC, Accel DFI with 75lb injectors, and last but not least a custom grind cam, which I'm sure is a 220+ high duration cam and also the car has 9.5:1 compression ratio motor!!!:eek: If you check out the Buick Products section on the PTE website www.precisionte.com Joe Harrington(spelling?) is running a very similar combo with a PT72 turbo, fully ported iron heads and intake, PTE 220 roller cam, PTE FMIC, DFI with big injectors (75lb or 83's), and this car also has 9.5:1 compression ratio and has run 10.60's @126mph with only 18lbs of boost in a full weight GN!

Brad, is George Baxter's convertible SS really making that much horsepower with the LT1? Last time I heard the car was making 750hp with an Aftercooled Y-trim Vortech and was running deep in the 10's (maybe high 9's). I'm not sure, but I think 1000hp is pushing it on an LT1 and I'd think if he was running low 9's with 1000hp it would be with an aftermarket Chevy block like a Motown or Bowtie (4 bolt main block).

Brick,
I haven't checked him out lately. Last I heard, probably about a year ago, he was running 9.70s with stock tires on the front. You had me questioning myself, so I did a little investigating...

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injuneerzz@aol.com/PhotosF/fGeorgeWS.jpg

Last November at Cecil County, MD. The car ran a best of 9.04@155mph, on an LT1 block and stock style suspension, and it weighed in at a hefty 3,900# with stock leather interior

More info:

I don't know if anyones reached the destruction limit of the LT1 yet.

I know George Baxter was making 1124 hp at 6800 rpm and 917 torque at 6200 rpm.

This was on the LT1 block.
He was running 9.043 at 155 mph and 122 mph in the 1/8 on a 1.377 60ft.