what is max oil pressure i can run and...

85 conversion

the 9's are in my reach!
after max oil pressure what should you be running at wot? My engine is rebuilt with new hi vol. cover that has the mods done. with 10w40 gtx oil i have 20-25 at hot idle. but at wot it starts at about 60 and drops to about 50. does this sound right? Im assuming i might loose alittle pressure do to the extra heat generated at wot but 10psi or so? what you all think? I do have the 70psi bypass spring in and that is what its at with cold start.

Sounds a little low to me. I'd figure it should be 78-80 when you hit it. Not staring at the oil pressure gauge, I don't know what it should be sitting at at WOT. Probably never looked. :eek: Maybe you're going to have to be the 20W50 guy.

I think my roller lifters are bleeding of oil pressure under throttle. I noticed they are clacking when i start the car almost everytime so i know they are not staying pumped up.

new hv gears and new oil filter adaptor with 70psi spring. fantastic cruising oil pressure but still drops under full load.. idle 25....2krpm cruise 60... wot drops from about 65 to 40. COULD THIS BE CAM BEARINGS!??

Oil Starvation is probley what is happening before you change the oil put an extra quart in (ONLT AS A TEST)and make a pass if it doesnt drop you know it it starvation.Do not do this to just drive around.

Oil Starvation is probley what is happening before you change the oil put an extra quart in (ONLT AS A TEST)and make a pass if it doesnt drop you know it it starvation.Do not do this to just drive around.

That is not a good test. If that extra qt of oil touches the crankshaft you'll DEFIANTLY see a drop in pressure!

i think its a lifter issue. after running it pretty hard a lifter or two start clacking and the oil pressure issue gets worse after driving easy for a few miles lifters get quiter and the oil pressure goes back up.

It sounds more like your lifters get loud because you have low pressure. Not the other way around.

Hot idle 10 psi is acceptable, each 1,000 rpm the psi should go up 10 psi. Many do not recomend high volume oil pumps, puts excessive strain on the cam gear/timing gear/front cam bearing. I don't use a high volume pump myself.

Chuck