What is a fair price on a gutted, mostly rust free 87 GN roller

El Corvino

I found someone who has a few parts I do need... but they also have a hard top 1987 Buick GN roller that was GUTTED.

No interior at all, no motor or trans, and they took the 8.5" out for their build and dropped a 7.5" in there.

What would something like that (minus the title) be worth if someone wanted it for parts or to make a race car?

Also, if able to (they lost the title), would it be worth it for my to have them hunt down the original guy and get a title reissued to sell with the VIN?

2 grand with a title? Or is that irrelevant because someone buying something like that is either interested in making a race car or a parts car?

..........Also, if able to (they lost the title), would it be worth it for my to have them hunt down the original guy and get a title reissued to sell with the VIN?

My max offer depending on condition of body parts would be $1000 max, but the starting point is $500.

I am confused about a "reissued title to sell with the VIN"?

In this state that would be a felony as you cannot tamper with or remove a VIN plate?

You cannot even sell body parts or the frame w/o a dismantle title.

Since GN's were built before the Fed's required all body panels to have the VIN etched on them, we are not normally subjected to that part of the law.

Just having a car in your possession w/0 a title could pose a legal issue for you?

No no, I'm not sure if it is different in other states? But in Florida if you lose your physical copy of the title, you can go to the DMV and for a fee, they reprint it for you. They did for me at least back in the day. I just had to prove it was my car / registered to me.

And I'm an ICU Nurse with a second degree in law. I'm definitely not trying to lose my livelihood over a $500 - $2000 car shell. haha

I re-read what I had typed and it sounded odd. I meant re-issue the lost title so I had one that matched the VIN on the car.

No no, I'm not sure if it is different in other states? ............

Oh, it is a LOT different in California as I was licensed there to buy and sell cars years ago, and the DMV and enforcement officers give you no slack at all. :(

California.... enough said. Many states in the South East only require a bill of sale.

There was a guy by my house in Fort Lauderdale that was selling "numbers matching" big block Corvettes back in that... He got busted re-stamping. No way in heck would I ever consider doing something stupid like that - like you said, that's Federal, not a slap on the wrist.

If he can't come up with the title, my brother is a cop. I'll have him run the VIN number just to make sure there's no funny business.

You sound like a smart guy and will not get "scammed" by anyone, and hope to meet you at one of the Buick Cali events or "get-togethers" in the near future! :)

Why thank you. It'll be a few months. My last G-Body frame off build (an El Camino) took about 9 months.... but I mini tubbed, powder coated the frame and every nut and bolt while the body was off, had a corvette motor and tranny swap and the motor fully built, and so forth. On this build, since it is a grand national, I am doing a frame off... BUT don't want to modify ANYTHING that can't be put back to stock down the road.

And I grew up in South Florida and lived in Miami when I went to UM for one of my degrees... I know how scummy people are and pretty much trust no one. haha

There was a guy by my house in Fort Lauderdale that was selling "numbers matching" big block Corvettes back in that... He got busted re-stamping.

Surprise, Surprise - Image someone re-stamping numbers on a Vette :rolleyes:
The only real surprise here is he got caught...................

Last edited:
Just stupid things that can get you in trouble. I wanted to replace my Analog dash (mine is beat down for the miles), but want it to reflect MY actual mileage. It isn't a low mile car and I'd never sell it as such (it's actually exempt), but I have bad OCD and that would bother me. I know I COULD spin the odometer forwards or backwards to reflect MY miles... I want to / have to find out if that's illegal on a mile exempt car.

I found someone who has a few parts I do need... but they also have a hard top 1987 Buick GN roller that was GUTTED.

No interior at all, no motor or trans, and they took the 8.5" out for their build and dropped a 7.5" in there.

What would something like that (minus the title) be worth if someone wanted it for parts or to make a race car?

Also, if able to (they lost the title), would it be worth it for my to have them hunt down the original guy and get a title reissued to sell with the VIN?
If it comes back clean I am interested, I'll even cough up a small finders fee to you. Let know.

No no, I'm not sure if it is different in other states?

This, like basically anything not explicitly regulated and licensed by the Feds, is different in each state. You are a nurse, so if you have ever looked into moving to other states you know how each state has different education and experience requirements to be licensed as an RN, and some states don't reciprocate with other states if they feel their requirements are tougher. Same with vehicle registration, inspection at sale, annual inspections, tag on front or not, landlord-tenant disputes, where you can buy beer, wine, hard liquor, and a million other things that vary state to state and even town to town. The only way to get an accurate answer is to ask the DMV or a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

All of the above is correct... except the nurse part. We take a national license exam. If we want to travel else where, we just have to pay to play in their state. Scope of practice may vary by institution... but not by state. I'm only stuck in Delaware until my contract is up and then I'm going back to what I call "society". haha :)

Sorry I was wrong about the nurse part, my grandmother, mom, older sister, and niece were/are nurses but it's been 35 years since my sister got her license and I never talked to my niece about the current rules when she graduated, I just remember my sister complaining because she changed states a couple of times. I'm glad at least one profession has gotten that worked out.

It hasn't at all - if I pay the fee to get my license to practice in California (who is the worst in terms of time) I'm looking at 2 months for them to say "Okay, you showed us that you are currently a Registered Nurse. You can practice in our state."

Yea its easier if it's a COMPACT state but the NCLEX exam or whatever is nationally recognized. My wife just got her RN a year ago