What is a calpak?

Powertechn2

I am still slowly trying to figure out what is going on.

I get a code for calpak error.

I searched "calpak", but didn't find out what it is or what it does.

Google listed something about parking lights which just confused me more.

So, what the fark is a calpak and what does it do?

Could this be pointing to an issue with the old Red Armstrong chip?

I swapped ecu's with a known good one, didn't change anything.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance as I bet my question is fairly stupid.

Calpak is the base "limp mode" calibration chip. In the GN's, it's the smaller chip under the ECM cover, as opposed to the PROM "Chip".

It's basically a series of precision resistors in a matrix, which bypass and "hardwire" the engine's sensors and base functions. When the ECM can't read the PROM chip program due to data corruption or missing EPROM, it will default to the base values stored in the Calpak.

In your case, either the chip is missing, not seated in its socket, or has gone bad. I have only documented three defective Calpaks within the Buick community in the last 30 years, so take a good look at the connection between its socket and the chip.

For further reading and to see how I decoded the Calpak, check out this article:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/16036503_calpak_tech.pdf

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

By my means of thinking. The ecu would only look at the calpak if it was trying to go into limp mode, correct? I just would assume unless it needs to access it, it wouldn't care.

I have had several issues which I have tried to trace. Found a bad crank sensor. Before that replaced the coil and module. Was not magnavox/delco parts though.

Since replacing the crank sensor, car started and ran fine, until 10lbs of boost or so. While driving with a snap-on modis ultra in play, got odd readings. One was over-boost, when the car never went above the 16.5 it was set to.

Before this the car was in limp mode and ran worse.

Thinking the ignition module and coil (aftermarket, only thing in stock locally) might maybe be an issue then?

In winter it is cold, and I am busy installing/repairing plows. In spring and fall I am busy repairing equipment. In July everything green burns up and this seems to be the only time I get a chance to try to work on the car.

Could a bad chip be the cause of all these issues?

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

By my means of thinking. The ecu would only look at the calpak if it was trying to go into limp mode, correct? I just would assume unless it needs to access it, it wouldn't care.

I have had several issues which I have tried to trace. Found a bad crank sensor. Before that replaced the coil and module. Was not magnavox/delco parts though.

Since replacing the crank sensor, car started and ran fine, until 10lbs of boost or so. While driving with a snap-on modis ultra in play, got odd readings. One was over-boost, when the car never went above the 16.5 it was set to.

Before this the car was in limp mode and ran worse.

Thinking the ignition module and coil (aftermarket, only thing in stock locally) might maybe be an issue then?

In winter it is cold, and I am busy installing/repairing plows. In spring and fall I am busy repairing equipment. In July everything green burns up and this seems to be the only time I get a chance to try to work on the car.

Could a bad chip be the cause of all these issues?
I've got a known good NOS AC Delco module if you decide to try another module. Its not the crap modules they sell today but the good one made by Magnavox for AC Delco.

The ECM looks to see that the Calpak is in place. If it's missing, it will kick the code. That's because the car is expected to run on default if the main PROM doesn't checksum properly, but it won't run at all without the Calpak in that scenario.

If you're getting a Calpak code, the chip isn't being read as present.

I've got a known good NOS AC Delco module if you decide to try another module. Its not the crap modules they sell today but the good one made by Magnavox for AC Delco.

Thanks, I still have the mag module and coil I removed, and last fall I ordered a mag coil online, I think I ordered a delco module too. Have to look in my box of parts.

Guess I will check the calpak now that I know what it is, make sure it is there, remove, clean and re-seat it, see what happens.

Thanks again for all the help ;)

I'm a little late to the party but............

Calibration Package (CAL-PAK)

Some of the early mid generation ECM's (1984-1988) has a separate chip known as a CAL-PAK. This is part of the back up or "limp home" mode in case of a faulty ecm was unable to run the engine. It only requires throttle position and ignition reference pulses from the ignition module for calculations and will allow the fuel pump and injectors to keep the engine running. The CAL-PAK, just like the PROM, needs to match the vehicle specifically and must be swapped to the new ECM, when replaced.

A faulty or missing CAL-PAK will set a code and will not allow the vehicle to start.

If I'm not mistaken, you can run one of Eric's newer Turbo Tweak chips without a cal-pak, but I could be wrong.

My car, when I got it, would intermittently run bad. It was going into batch mode. It turned out to be a wire going to the ECM which had a nick in it. So it could be a similar problem for you.

If I recall, the presence or absence of the Calpak is determined by the hard-code ROM, so a missing chip will completely disable the ECM.

the car should run without the calpak, the ECM code only checks if the calpak is in the socket, it doesn't read it. The ECM code is hard coded to not allow the calpak code to be disabled using the usual bits. But it can be disabled with a workaround.

Bob

My car, when I got it, would intermittently run bad. It was going into batch mode. It turned out to be a wire going to the ECM which had a nick in it. So it could be a similar problem for you.

Thanks for the info.
I am thinking that might be an issue. I got the original ecm from the previous owner. As it turns out it has been replaced before he bought the car, likely trying to fix an issue at that time. The ecm he gave me has a sticker on top of a sticker. I lightly wet the sticker to get the adhesive to lift and underneath it has a reman by gm sticker with the barcode markered out.

Being as I now have tried 2 different ecm's, and still had issues, and now have a third ecm I can swap, and have, and still had issues. Before swapping to the current reman ecu it had a code 42. I did find the static wire tucked into the heater box, and have reconnected it. Not sure that has anything to do with this calpak error though. The 42 didn't pop back up while driving the car last week, however only went a short distance.

Long of the short, I am now believing this issue has been ongoing since the car was stock. Buddy I bought it off is the one who modd'd the car and did a frame off.

I decided I am going to just start replacing all the questionable items. Planning on replacing the translator, maf, injectors, chip, fuel pump, re-do the rigged ass hotwire kit. Have an entire engine side harness too. The car was built before 10% ethanol, so the chip needs an update anyways. The fuel pump is old, and in winter I had to give the tank a gm thump to make it work (was about 5° that day). Injectors have been in the car since about 2000, so they could use a cleaning, but might as well just replace them as I have no idea what lb they are.

Previous issues brought up a few posts that the maf could be causing an issue.

Now to search what pump and maf I should get.

Last edited:
I'm certain you are aware of this, but do each of the changes you plan one at a time or you're just asking for more trouble.

One change, test and verify it worked/works..... next change......

BTW, the ECM currently in the car does have a cal-pak chip, yes? Are you swapping that chip from ECM to ECM?

I think I have an extra, known good one if you need. I KNOW I have a known working ECM w/ cal-pac chip for testing, if needed.

Last edited:
I'm certain you are aware of this, but do each of the changes you plan one at a time or you're just asking for more trouble.

One change, test and verify it worked/works..... next change......

BTW, the ECM currently in the car does have a cal-pak chip, yes? Are you swapping that chip from ECM to ECM?

I think I have an extra, known good one if you need.

All 3 ecm's I have have a calpak in them, and all are from an 87. Until I asked what it was I had no idea what a calpak was. I have not swapped the calpak chip itself around, just the main chip. I assume all 87's should have the same calpak chip, correct?

I figure I have no idea what parameters the current chip is, other than it has 93 wrote on it in pen, and what looks like a small 98 or 99, I am guessing that is the year the chip was burnt.

The harness will be the last thing I swap. Will have to address leaky valve covers before I throw a new harness in there.

The new chip and injectors will be matched, so I will have to swap those together. Before I do anything I will swap back to the first ignition module and coil before doing anything else just in case the new module and coil pack I installed are defective.

So yes, I know I should only do things one at a time, but some things have to match.

The car ran ok, and drove mostly fine until the night it went into limp mode. I say mostly as if you were in the throttle and let off it would stumble and die instead of idling, but restart fine. Then the limp mode and all sorts of running poorly (limp mode tune vs modifications). But the stall after throttle was an issue the owner before hand told me about after I had the car a while.

Not sure how the iac works, or if it could be the stalling after throttle issue. I assume it could be. Going to search iac and see what I find on that too.

If I get nowhere I will see you about the known working ecm. Thanks for the offer too btw.

Last edited:
You're saying 3 different ECM"s each with a different cal-pak chip and it continues to kick a 52 cal-pak code?

You're saying 3 different ECM"s each with a different cal-pak chip and it continues to kick a cal-pak code?

No, the calpak code was new the last time I had the car out. Previously it was a code 42. The 42 didn't pop back up last time out, but was only a few mile drive from last storage site. This was with the ecu that was given to me and told was out of the car when it was stock.

Was going to take it out tonight and see what codes pop up, but didn't get out of work till 8:30.

If I can't get anywhere I might seek out some help either locally, or a shop that knows Turbo Buicks near Auburn Hills Mi, but I know everyone will agree that a car that sat mostly unused for 10 years will need these items addressed, especially as the chip was before 10% ethanol was introduced.

Who knows how much gunk was ran through the car only getting driven once or twice a year during those 10 years of sitting...

No, the calpak code was new the last time I had the car out. Previously it was a code 42. The 42 didn't pop back up last time out, but was only a few mile drive from last storage site. This was with the ecu that was given to me and told was out of the car when it was stock.

Was going to take it out tonight and see what codes pop up, but didn't get out of work till 8:30.

If I can't get anywhere I might seek out some help either locally, or a shop that knows Turbo Buicks near Auburn Hills Mi, but I know everyone will agree that a car that sat mostly unused for 10 years will need these items addressed, especially as the chip was before 10% ethanol was introduced.

Who knows how much gunk was ran through the car only getting driven once or twice a year during those 10 years of sitting...

Or what you have gone and added to that murky fuel mess...... :D

Good luck, please know the offer is out there for you.

Too bad I gave an old Eastern Performance early 90's upgrade chip out to another guy in need of it about a year ago. It sounds as if it would fit the bill on this car perfectly may have helped you chase down a nasty gremlin.

You should call Eric at Turbo Tweak and order up a chip that you and he BOTH know is in sync with your car and mods.

Last edited:
Or what you have gone and added to that murky fuel mess...... :D

Good luck, please know the offer is out there for you.

Too bad I gave an old Eastern Performance early 90's upgrade chip out to another guy in need of it about a year ago. It sounds as if it would fit the bill on this car perfectly may have helped you chase down a nasty gremlin.

You should call Eric at Turbo Tweak and order up a chip that you and he BOTH know is in sync with your car and mods.

Thanks again (y).

I sent him an email. Need to figure out how much the mph is off. Not sure if he needs to know the size TB or not.

Was going to call him, but didn't see a number listed on his site. I might have overlooked it.

Been meaning to try to work out the bugs, but work gets in the way. Had to move the car as the location the car is stored in is currently under renovation. Was offered a decent price for the car, so figured it's time to shit or get off the pot so to speak.

The car is kind of beater-ish. Body has some rust. Interior has flaws etc. Figure try to make it run right, then worry about the rest later. Would be kind of embarrassed showing up to a shop with it.

The calpack assumes stock injectors and associated DC for gasoline.

Anyone of you gurus ever determine a limp solution for larger injectors besides a PROM and don't limp? LOL