What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the ATR when I was a newbie. So didn't even think of logging the temps back then. I just remember the boost spiked up the day I switched over.

I had a PTE unit then I saw my buddies with RJC unts logging 20-30 degree lower temps than me on the same day and same setups/boost, etc. . So I since switched to the RJC 315. The car still ran pretty much the same but I figured it was a good time to upgrade. :)

There's some Ebay china vertical ones but the inlet/outlets are only 2".
If you know of anyone with any data please share it. As with just about everything Chinese it's a cheap copy of something that at one time probably worked well. We know the cfm flow of a 2" round pipe and it's not enough for what we would be doing. Chances are the core flows more than the outlet pipe. This is typical with cheap Chinese product. No thought or r&d at all. Just a copy of something that is marketed to grab a few $$$ from dumb people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27"width, 6.25"high , 3"depth
51 rows, 2" in/out and 2.5" pipes
This core with a better designed tanks and outlet diameter would work extremely well in a alcohol application. E85, methanol, meth injection

This core with a better designed tanks and outlet diameter would work extremely well in a alcohol application. E85, methanol, meth injection

Im pretty sure atr used a spearco core back then, worked real good on my old set up with a 60-1 and alky, only down fall was the 2"in/out and the heavy/noisy/small steel pipes .

I always liked the vertical cored intercoolers even though I never really had any data to back it up. I bought one of the "normal" horizontal flow FMIC's years ago and it did bother me that it had 15 long rows which was the same amount of rows as the old ThunderFab SLIC that I replaced with the FMIC. I considered making a vertical flow intercooler using one of the IC's from Treadstone. I got a chance to look over one of the Treadstone cores at a buddy's shop(417 Motorsports) and it looked to be of good qaulity. My buddy uses thier cores in lot of his builds including the Crusty Nova if anyone follows Dragweek. Crusty Nova now runs a 417MS A2W intecooler that is made to fit the Holley Hi Ram intake but the car ran Mid 8's with the A2A also.

https://www.treadstoneperformance.c...=63&prodname=TRV25+Series+Intercooler++1000HP

stock cleaned out intercooler with a dutt neck

1. its cheap
2. its stock looking
3. soon to be e85

I went with a Precision FMIC for a few reasons:
1. Low pressure drop (less restrictive)
2. outlet temps at 25# are 10-15 degrees over ambient air
3. It cleans up the engine bay and is easier to work around
4. Looks cool too

Im pretty sure atr used a spearco core back then, worked real good on my old set up with a 60-1 and alky, only down fall was the 2"in/out and the heavy/noisy/small steel pipes .
actually 2.25 in/out

27"width, 6.25"high , 3"depth
51 rows, 2" in/out and 2.5" pipes

Thanks for the info,
Here is some food for thought. Looking at core flow data on an equivalent available core, that size would flow in about 1500 CFM. Now we tend to fall in the "Bigger is better" hole so all of us using the a popular large 27x17x3 core would flow a estimated 650 CFM. I'm sure the horizontal flow may drop more temp but I'm willing the bet the a vertical flow and lower pressure drop would pick up power and even at the expense of some effiecincy.

Now for application specific, If I was running an E85 car, or injecting large amounts of alky I would lean heavily towards the vertical flow. I'm convinced we could build a larger vertical flow since there is a lot of flow margin to gain back some efficiency. I believe this would yield a more perfect intercooler for our cars.
AG.

Thanks for the info,
Here is some food for thought. Looking at core flow data on an equivalent available core, that size would flow in about 1500 CFM. Now we tend to fall in the "Bigger is better" hole so all of us using the a popular large 27x17x3 core would flow a estimated 650 CFM. I'm sure the horizontal flow may drop more temp but I'm willing the bet the a vertical flow and lower pressure drop would pick up power and even at the expense of some effiecincy.

Now for application specific, If I was running an E85 car, or injecting large amounts of alky I would lean heavily towards the vertical flow. I'm convinced we could build a larger vertical flow since there is a lot of flow margin to gain back some efficiency. I believe this would yield a more perfect intercooler for our cars.
AG.

That's sorta the approach I am trying on my car but I am using a A2W intercooler in the stock IC location since a A2W core has very little pressure drop due to the way the core is designed. The manufacturer claimed a 0.1 psi pressure drop across the core at 700 cfm. I am going to be running e85 and Alky so I figured cooling capacity would be less important than flow for my application.

Car is being put together with Dutt neck stock I/c with alky based on te44, based on 10.5" 2500 tc, based on small stockish ft cam, based on wanting a quick responsive street setup and knowing a small tight combo will get me there.. hopefully

Also its light, fits well & doesn't interfere with larger sway bar or any of the frame bracing, trying to keep it cheap and simple.

Seems like this thread is focused more on air to air, im surprised since id imagine A2W seems to be the best option for pressure drop and performance

Seems like this thread is focused more on air to air, im surprised since id imagine A2W seems to be the best option for pressure drop and performance
Air to water cores are great for reducing pressure drop but require plumbing and another heat exchanger for the water. Therefore are nowhere near as practical as air/air. If I had a quarter mile only car that ran on gasoline id absolutely use an air to water Intercooler.

Air to water cores are great for reducing pressure drop but require plumbing and another heat exchanger for the water. Therefore are nowhere near as practical as air/air. If I had a quarter mile only car that ran on gasoline id absolutely use an air to water Intercooler.

I was reading up on A2W, and apparently its not that bad for the street, i mean thats what is used on the bugatti Veyron.

I was reading up on A2W, and apparently its not that bad for the street, i mean thats what is used on the bugatti Veyron.

All of the Shelby supercharged Mustangs, ZR1 Corvettes, ZL1 Camaros and many of the forced induction Mercedes Benz cars are A2W from the factory. I love the 417MS system for the LSx engines. The 417MS set up has gone low 8's on street cars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 288
I don't think it's wise to draw parallels between Bugattis and Turbo Buicks.

All of the Shelby supercharged Mustangs, ZR1 Corvettes, ZL1 Camaros and many of the forced induction Mercedes Benz cars are A2W from the factory. I love the 417MS system for the LSx engines. The 417MS set up has gone low 8's on street cars.
At a certain power density or if the rules allowed in a restrictive race class it would be worth going to air/water. One good reason to do it would be to clear the front of the car and eliminate the radiator. Looks like over 200hp/hole for a g body racer. It would be difficult to do anything even remotely cost effective for a car capable of being driven thousands of miles on the street that will outperform a properly engineered air to air.

Status
Not open for further replies.