What head gaskets are good these days?

ijames

I vaguely recall reading over the years that GM and FelPro (the stock replacement 9441PT) had both changed their gaskets and they weren't as good as they used to be. Anything to that? What do people recommend these days for iron heads on a mid-11 sec car?

I've ran 3 types, O Ringed, RJC and Cometics. While the Cometics in my Talon are rock solid, they've been a leaky bitch in my GN and my cooling system is like Cookie Monster on the GM tabs it needed to slow down the leaking.

I'd rather run the RJC's vs the Fel Pro's personally and if I were to run 35+psi I'd go back to the O-Ring head and block.

Used 9441pt gaskets this summer. No issued with them. My Cometics didn't leak. I caused one to blow using too much timing.

mid 11 car I'd stay with the stockers.. good fuse if ya ever have a problem. :cool:

Felpro 9441's, Victor's, stock all work great into the high 10's with no detonation. Haven't heard of the new ones being worse. Went LOW LOW 11's with a stock long block car with a TE44 at 28 to 31psi on 9441's from last summer. Still going strong on Q16.

I never had a problem with Cometics. Tune for no detonation and you won't need a fuse. Q16 and C16 by the drum!!!!

Loose the stockers an fel-pro's an go Steel Shimmed,You'll never blow another head gasket, But!! in return you'll melt a piston or bend a rod instead, if something goes wrong.

Enjoy!

I have several pretty strong street cars out there with 9441PT gaskets and ARP studs, no problems. All are running 22-23 psi with 91 and Alky while watching the knock closely.
I've seem melted Cometics so it's up to the operator to have the proper tune.

Its been recommended to me by those with more experience than most of us combined to use the Felpro's. just my 2 cents...

Nate

Loose the stockers an fel-pro's an go Steel Shimmed,You'll never blow another head gasket, But!! in return you'll melt a piston or bend a rod instead, if something goes wrong......Enjoy!

Guess you have not been around turbo Buicks very long, as I have a few steel shims in my pile of blown head gaskets I have replaced over the past 20 years! :biggrin:

Just to verify: :)

Attachments

• Blown head gasket.jpg
    Blown head gasket.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 469
well ill be going with whats cheap... my turbo getting sent to get rebuilt,.its blowing oil like i just struck it. so while thats going over to get rebuilt ima change the head gasket.. and i will be going with whats cheap... lol...

Thanks, guys. I want the "fuse" and don't want any sealing issues, which is why I wanted to go either stock or 9441. I just wanted to make sure they hadn't gone and changed them on me.

Thanks, guys. I want the "fuse" and don't want any sealing issues, which is why I wanted to go either stock or 9441. I just wanted to make sure they hadn't gone and changed them on me.

Carl, you have a built-in "fuse", it is the fact that you only have 8 bolts holding down the heads! :biggrin:

I have seen every type of head gasket available that has blown which is because the head and block will lift or deform and take them out.

With well over 1000 passes on my alum block and 14 bolt heads, I never have blown a head gasket, but I do have some wrecked pistons from the early years when experimenting and "learning" the right combination. :eek:

I vaguely recall reading over the years that GM and FelPro (the stock replacement 9441PT) had both changed their gaskets and they weren't as good as they used to be. Anything to that? What do people recommend these days for iron heads on a mid-11 sec car?

Carl,

Are you getting the engine back together? Hope to see you this year with it at some of the events !!!!!!!!

Chuck

My block is cut for o-rings...do my heads need to be too?

3 common combos
1) O-Ring Heads
2) O-Ring Block
3) O-Ring both

Different engine builders have methods they prefer about O-ringing so it's all about who you're working with if you go that route.

BTW, the Cometics have a RA (roughness average) to ensure a leak free seal, unfortunately I've seen this number all over the range, 25RA pops up a lot and Aluminum vs Iron heads have different numbers.

So the verdict is??????

I'm running cometics. Mine weep antifreeze and oil leak from the layers.

The RJC gaskets look interesting.

Which Gaskets

The next time my heads come off - RJC gaskets will be installed following their implict instructions and the new Arp Studs (with allen hex at the top of all of them) to allow installation in the car, 12 point nuts on the studs.

I believe this would be the best combo short of o-rings and the RJC head clamps.

This from and old injected fuel (Nitro) racer 7.41 - 196 back in 1973.

YMMV.

JG