What happens when a torque converter goes out?

87gnguy

My buddy was driving his GN yesterday and comes to a red light. When he started to leave, his car acted like it was in neutral. He tapped on the gas and it finally caught and started to move then it shifted fine from 1st to 2nd. When it came time to shift to 3rd, it was like it was in neutral again so he played with the gas pedal again and it went into 3rd. He kept having to baby it to get it to shift all the way home but when it did shift, it shifted and drove like it was supposed to so I don't believe any gear was slipping. He said there was a whining sound coming from under the car when the transmission was acting up. I know when my transmission went out, it was a slow process with gears that started slipping worse and worse. When I got it rebuilt, I bought a new PTC 10" non lockup converter and after I installed it, it was too loose and would do almost the same thing his is doing. I had it tightened up and it was fine after that. He has the same converter I do and I was just wondering if this could be his problem. This transmission might have only 3000-4000 miles on it and it's basically a stock rebuild with a shift kit. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, :)

I blew my tq in my jeep and your description matches. It felt like it was in neutral but after tapping the gas it did move. I limped to a parking lot and then nothing- felt like it was in neutral.

I blew my tq in my jeep and your description matches. It felt like it was in neutral but after tapping the gas it did move. I limped to a parking lot and then nothing- felt like it was in neutral.

Yeah, it just happened with no warning so I was thinking torque converter.

Yeap,the convertor is burnt,check fluid level,smell the dip stick,I've done the same thing with factory convertor,Was coming back to FL from D.C. (late 80's) an almost back into S.C. at must been 110mph, Speedo was buried (I made Orlando to Wshington D.C. in 8 hours!!! 3 days before) The car red lined an had no forward momentum any more,got it to the nearest Buick dealer an they put temp unit in to get me back to FL...(i had the 10year/unlimited mile warranty they offered in 87').....heheh 8^)

If burnt the Convertor, the trans need rebuild,Cluches sound worn too, you need the larger kevlar bands

Enjoy!

The governor spring popped out. Drop the pan and it'll be there, all mangled up. Get a new one or 3 from TCI's website. Check the bushing at the tailshaft for play. My yoke wasn't perfectly smooth and wore the bushing out, which then made the governor spring pop out a lot, and of course mine was missing the pin that held the spring in place too, which didn't help.

I can remember if these are vein or gear pumps but when the pump in my old trucks 4L60E got some nasty scoring it did something similar.

,Dan

Yeap,the convertor is burnt,check fluid level,smell the dip stick,I've done the same thing with factory convertor,Was coming back to FL from D.C. (late 80's) an almost back into S.C. at must been 110mph, Speedo was buried (I made Orlando to Wshington D.C. in 8 hours!!! 3 days before) The car red lined an had no forward momentum any more,got it to the nearest Buick dealer an they put temp unit in to get me back to FL...(i had the 10year/unlimited mile warranty they offered in 87').....heheh 8^)

If burnt the Convertor, the trans need rebuild,Cluches sound worn too, you need the larger kevlar bands

Enjoy!

Thanks, (Damn!!! 8 hours from DC to Orlando!!! That's insane...) I once did Panama City, FL to Myrtle Beach, SC in 6 ;)

When he had it rebuilt a couple of years ago, that builder said he put Kevlar bands in it. He was also supposed to put a billet servo in it too, however, looking at it, it looks stock to me :confused:
Thanks for all the responses. He has a call into Jason White who's not far from here we are just waiting on a call back. He built mine and did an outstanding job so we will see. I just thought if it was the converter, I have a spare Orange stripe at my house we can try out. I should also note one more thing though. He started out with lockup converter and switched to a non lockup without changing that piece inside the transmission up near the pump (I don't know what it's called) but Jason said that without changing that piece, his tranny is running hotter so he may have fried it. I just thought about that...

Thanks, (Damn!!! 8 hours from DC to Orlando!!! That's insane...) I once did Panama City, FL to Myrtle Beach, SC in 6 ;)...

Was from Orlando to D.C.,Blew the tranny on the way back 3 days later, The speedo never came down from pegged 85mph but 3 times an that was to get Gas...hehehe 8^)

Y'all sure ant making me feel any better about this.
Thanks for all the expensive info.lol

Shaun