what gauges should i have

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
in the process of purchasing new gauges because the ones that came with my car are cheap and dont match plus the only one that seems to work is the oil press. i also plan on purchasing a scanmaster soon, what all readings can i get off of it? so far i have already
purchased an autometer boost/vac gauge and have a friend that has a matching new indash 0-100 psi fuel gauge that im going to buy so what other gauges should i get? also wondering if a tach is recomended for a street car

The scanmaster will tell you what your water temp is (going off whatever the sensor in the intake says), engine rpm, battery voltage (going into the ecm), speedometer reading off the vss.....plus it will tell you air intake temp, 02 sensor cross counts, blm and integrator readings....a few others I can't remember.

Do you need a tach in the car? I don't have one....I let the trans shift itself, and I can always look at my scanmaster if I need to know how many rpms the engine is turning.

I like to keep tabs of what's going on inside my engine. The Scanmaster and Casper's knock gauge should be at the top of the list because those will help you to keep from blowing up your engine !!! Water temp, oil pressure, boost gauge too. I am not a fan of the boost/vac gauges because I really don't care what the vacuum is while I am going down the track, plus with a boost only gauge you get a full 270 degree sweep of the needle so you can accurately see what boost you are at, instead of a 135 degree sweep of the needle on a boost/vac gauge.

I'll just reiterate what others have said.

I have boost and water temp in an A-Pillar gauge and then oil pressure and knock in the center console pod. I was going to put the knock gauge in the a-pillar pod but the green "on" light would have been irritating. I actually replaced a fuel mixture gauge with the knock gauge. The fmg looked like KITT talking and wasn't of much use.

If you are the nervous type I wouldn't do a oil pressure guage. We only run a boost, tach, and a scanmaster. Knock guages give a lot of false knock an will drive ya crazy. I don't care for the 10 guages in the car console, dash, windshield pillar, hood fuel pressure and now the ones that hang from the t top roof :rolleyes: BUT IF YA NEED THE "KOOL GUY LOOK" go for all of them !! Of course this is my own "opinion" :p

Pics

Can we get some pics of the gauges installed.Not trying to hi-jack just more info.:cool:

Kevin

anyone still selling the ciggaret lighter tach mount ? I just have a sport comp II boost gauge an like the look of it. I think im going to get the oil an water gauge for the console.

I think it looks like to many gauges BUT some need more than others :p looked better in person :biggrin:

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 262
Is there any benefit to using an audible knock indicater versus one you have to see?

Yes...it's one less gauge to have to look at, can be hidden under the dash (I mounted mine under the drivers side of the radio pod), frees up the interior to run another gauge and (in my opinion) doesn't go off as often as the knock gauge.

anyone still selling the ciggaret lighter tach mount ? I just have a sport comp II boost gauge an like the look of it. I think im going to get the oil an water gauge for the console.

I think it was Arizona GN that used to sell them.

I agree - you can have too many gauges.

I have Scanmaster, tachometer,fuel quanity,& speedometer.

I like a boost hold gauge & the KR hold of the Scanmaster & EGT hold gauge for tuning. The Powerlogger is also a good tuning aid.

Grumpy might have some gauge ideas, however aircraft often have a copilot & need GPS (or some direvative).