What gauges do you NEED?

Hi all,

I'm new to the turbo cars and am curious what you need vs. what is extraneous/ cool looking. Does the boost gauge and egt do just as much as a scanmaster? at what point do you need a laptop?

My goal is an 11 second car that is easily street driven, with a trip to the strip 2x per year.

Thanks in advance.

EW

I once read a magazine article that said you don't need no stinking gauges.

if it's steaming- it's hot
if it's smoking- it needs oil
if the lights are dim- low voltage
if the head gaskets blow or the crank is on the ground- it's to much boost :biggrin:

seriously about the only gauge you need is a boost gauge. a knock gauge will sometimes show false knock, when I first started I had one , everytime that damn thing would light up I'd let out. a friend told me the next time I let out he was going to smash the gauge. after that I took it out & never looked back. a scan tool is a must weather it be an (old school) OTC or direct scan. it can save you a lot of headaches & $.

I would just go with a pillar mount boost gauge, then oil press/water temp in the center console. They have a nice mount that sits in the console tray right under the stereo/climate control. I would use the Scanmaster for daily driving, but for track time, go with either Turbolink or Direct Scan. That way you can see what's going on in more detail. Better safe than sorry, that's for sure. A digital EGT is also good to have, but if you are only going to the track once in a while, I wouldn't worry about it.

Boost and Knock located on the A-pillar. My eyes are on those 2 more than anything going down the track. If your getting false knock of more than a degree or 2, find out what it is and fix it, probably something banging against something else when the enigine moves for the torque change during shifts, or the tranny banging into the gear. A scanmaster can substiture for the boost gauge, and is a very helpful tuning tool not just for WOT blasts. Next on the priority would be an EGT for the serious tuner.

EGT , Boost, and a tach ... I hate guages ..like others have said other problems will will know right away ...oh if you are the nervous type I wouldn't put in an oil pressure guage :eek: :rolleyes: 11s sec street cars are no problem ... ask my wife and daughter :p