What Downpipe Coating Is This????????

i dont think it was coated - just polished stainless steel.... i thought i saw more recent photos of the car...i'll try and find'em

It's the heat that turns them gold...

i dont think it was coated - just polished stainless steel.... i thought i saw more recent photos of the car...i'll try and find'em

Same thing happened to Cal with his turbo V8 headers, they turned gold with the heat.

i think they are coated because even the welds are exactly the same color but im not sure:confused:

Thats a very good polish job and then it heats up and turns like that.Happens to mine evreytime.

Looks like polished stainless that's been heated to me too. BUT it's strange how it's so uniform. And it's also curious that his fittings and clamps are the exact same color.... so it all may very well be some kind of coating.

Looks like polished stainless that's been heated to me too. BUT it's strange how it's so uniform. And it's also curious that his fittings and clamps are the exact same color.... so it all may very well be some kind of coating.

it could be that the photo was altered; either digitally through Photoshop or by some sort of polarizing filter/lense[?].... look at the breather filter too... its about the same strange golden hue...

I've personally looked at tons of high temp coatings
and I don't have a clue about what that is.
I am thinking photoshop coatings also.
There are some tinted clears that could give you that look
but they are only good to 500 deg.

I'm thinking that is a real process coating of some type. The fuel fitting are also the same hue/tint. I really don't think that it is photoshop though. Unbelievable motor compartment. It is just too even in coloring to be only polished stainless, cleared, & heat cycled. As Ronnie stated, maybe some type of tinted clear coat & artificially heated / cured such as a oven & not many miles or heat cycles on the exhaust piping?

I can make one look just like that........
Just do not ever drive it down the road or let it run for any length of time......:biggrin:
That piece is not one that has turned with heat.

Gary, If you used a couple layers of thermal barrier, the tint-able hi-temp clears would
live short term.

different angle....

.... IMO definately NOT coated - just polished

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 232
Look at this picture and you can see right at the 90 bend its turning red,purple and blue were it heat up the most.I still thinki its just polished.

Hth...

Here are some pics of Cal's turbo V8 motor, notice the headers before and after. They had been coated before (not sure what coating though) & turned gold with the heat, there's a thread where Cal himself says it.

5_28_07__2_.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

I don't get why people choose to leave the dp exposed.
Seems like a no brainer to wrap it with heat wrap and drop engine bay temps.