what does it take to go 10s

pitbulls 6

was wandering what it would take to runs 10s.,.iam workin with 87 intercooled t type.with a t 60 turbo.

any help will be great thanks

I would say atleast a 3200 stall, bigger turbo, injectors, big intercooler, slicks, sway bar(traction is a must) low 60'foot, and if you are running a stock block 26-30 psi. If you have ported heads and cam it will be much easier, i would say around 23-26 psi. Lightening up the car helps too.good luck

13's - less than 100 bucks.
12's -500 bucks
11's -1000 bucks
10's -Thousands of bucks
9's - Take out a loan.
8's - Mortgage the house
7's - Re-mortgage the house again

The above my not be true in all cases as there are a few super tuners that can go 10's just by raising the boost level.:p :p :p :p :D

was wandering what it would take to runs 10s.,.iam workin with 87 intercooled t type.with a t 60 turbo.

Go fast major hardware would potentially include:

TE45A turbo
3600 ArtCarr non lock converter
Champion ported irons
60 # Motrons
TurboTweak Chip
Walbro 340 pump hot wired
scantool
good exhaust/downpipe
good intercooler
28x10.5 slicks

This should get you in the mid to high 10's just about all the time with a 10# launch.... 60' times sub 1.60..... mid 20's on the boost and a good tune with either 116 race gas or pump gas and alky. Two center steel main caps or a stud girdle would be good peace of mind.....Obviously the tranny has to be up to the task as well.

This all adds up to $$

My recommended parts list is definately not the only way..... there are probably several corners you could cut... but it might put you in the low 11 sec club most of the time with a 10.9 every blue moon.

to touch tens can be done pushing stock stuff , upgraded turbo ,injectors,fuelpump and a good understanding of your tune and a means of changing it (good relationship with your chip maker or aftermarket ecu like DFI fast XFI BS3)

but 10s all the time and at a track and be somewhat prepared for the abuse you are about to put your car to so as to have something to drive back home
gauges and monitors for KR , and logging (DS,powerlogger) , the more data the better you can tune for better performance and address troubles before it becomes fatal to the car
aftermarket axles , c-clip eliminators , wheel studs, HD eaton posi or spool
hd driveshaft , joints and yokes
SFI flywheel
SFI balancer
fire jacket
rollbar (5 point at least) , 5 point harness
steel screw in valve stems
trans sheild
traction devices (sticky tires be it MT drag radials or slicks , rear swaybar , control arms , shocks )
brake upgrades to hold the boost or a transbrake
air intake upgrades
exhaust upgrades since most organized events require a chambered mufflered system

and say a prayer before every launch

If you want a true street car go with a lock up trans and a lower stall

If you want a true street car go with a lock up trans and a lower stall
I agree with the lower stall but the locking converter will beat on the trans internals a lot harder causing potential failures causing yet more $ spent on upgrading or fixing it every time it breaks. I would go with a small shaft ball bearing turbo for the street. 10's can be easily had with one. If you plan on running 10's all the time reliably at 3600 lbs, plan on spending $10k or more. You could occasionally dip into the 10's for a lot less but you will have more consistent and expensive breakage trying to do so, especially if you want to do it all the time. Plan exactly haw fast you want to run and how much reliability you want then we can give you better figures. It wont be cheap in the long run.

13's - less than 100 bucks.
12's -500 bucks
11's -1000 bucks
10's -Thousands of bucks
9's - Take out a loan.
8's - Mortgage the house
7's - Re-mortgage the house again

The above my not be true in all cases as there are a few super tuners that can go 10's just by raising the boost level.:p :p :p :p :D

THATS SO TRUE... lol:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i second that, i'm building a 9sec combo now and it definitely costs! like they say, if ya wanna play..ya gotta pay!

Here is an article that I wrote a few years ago, Chad still has it on his website. I re-wrote it back in 2005 and it got published in Fastest Street Car Magazine. Most all of the info is relative today, with the exception of ever changing turbo, fuel injector, intercooler and alky technology.

RU's 10 Sec TR Buildup

I guess I need to go back over it and make changes relating to todays technology.

Technology is like time, it waits for no one.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

I agree with the lower stall but the locking converter will beat on the trans internals a lot harder causing potential failures causing yet more $ spent on upgrading or fixing it every time it breaks. I would go with a small shaft ball bearing turbo for the street. 10's can be easily had with one. If you plan on running 10's all the time reliably at 3600 lbs, plan on spending $10k or more. You could occasionally dip into the 10's for a lot less but you will have more consistent and expensive breakage trying to do so, especially if you want to do it all the time. Plan exactly haw fast you want to run and how much reliability you want then we can give you better figures. It wont be cheap in the long run.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with lock up converters in a car in the tens. You don't have to lock it up at the track but it is nice to have on the street for normal driving.

It takes 400 RWHP (Mustang Dyno) in a 3550 lbs car to run 10.7's with a 1.50 60ft.

As far as cost. Who's doing the work? You are a shop? Are you rebuilding your motor? And hows your trans? There is no real $$$ without knowing you car. Anywhere from 5K to 12K depending on the above.

Hope this helps,
CC