What does "below 0" weather feel like?

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious how bad that is....

I wear a jacket when it's in the 60's here!:D

Get a pitcher of ice water and dump it on your lap. That's only about 32*. I would rather 3' of snow than this cold snap.

I bought ski-type clothes for the first time yesterday so I could shovel my driveway. It's really a biting cold - but still not like the folks in NH.

It's REALLY windy, too. both my furnaces and my electric heat are running non-stop. Can't wait to get the utility bills this month :rolleyes:

Jim

Originally posted by Geoff87

YOU would not survive! It sure isn't fun, it's so cold that ice melt doesn't do much good. We have water mains breaking in one town in CT that flooded out some streets. Furnaces running non-stop and there was a concern about power usage from the utilities. They were even talking about roving blackouts so they can meet the power demand. So far that hasn't happened. Supposed to warm up in CT this weekend to a balmy 30 degrees.:)

It was 7° last Tuesday here, wind chill -13. Any exposed flesh feels like gasoline in a cut on your finger. It stings. I was covered completely except for my eyes and they were stinging in the wind. Best way I can describe it. Makes you appreciate 30° weather.

Supposed to get down to 1-2* tonight with a 15-20mph wind, -25 below:eek:
You just can't stay outside for more then a couple of minutes with this wind, it goes right through almost any clothing you wear.
Was out shoveling the snow for 15min yesterday and just from the cold(no wind) I got a massive ear ache.
Larkin is right, it was 35* here the other day and it felt like spring:rolleyes:
Its probably like being in the desert when its 130+*, just nothing you do will keep you from overheating while being outside in the elements.

Chuckling under my breath....

I can usually tell whenever the temp is 10 degrees F or colder: My cheeks (the ones next to my nose ;) ) begin to sting.

At about minus 10 degrees F, my ears get sharp stings like an ice pick sticking through them (thats when they froze after an hour outside as a youngster.)

I chuckle when the media goes non-stop about the weather on the East coast if the weather turns cold or snowy, or rainy, or when cars slide on the ice....It happens in this region on a regular basis, but, it hardly merits a mention back East ;)

Once, while living in Alaska, the pizza man came to the door with an awesome 24 inch pizza....I saw a car sliding down the driveway on solid ice....I asked with a moving gesture, " Is that your car sliding down the driveway?" His car slid 40 feet down the driveway, across the street, and, into the ditch on the other side. Poor guy tossed the pizza to me and ran after his car :eek: Five minutes later, he came to the door for the money :) The cold and weather is a real daily challenge out West :)

Below zero feels like time to run that little space heater to keep things from freezing in my attached garage. Other than that, life just goes on pretty normal.

It is just Mother Nature telling Al Gore to get a clue.

Originally posted by Silver 6
It is just Mother Nature telling Al Gore to get a clue.

Truth....From the mouth of an obvious genius :D

The earth has been warming for 100,000 years....Give me a break ;)

sub zero temps

Hey Geoff old friend I guess I should have planned that trip out to see you about now..
I would anomaly tell you to bite me with your lows in the 60's but I am now a solid so you would break your teeth. :D You know it is cold when you walk out to start you car and the snot freezes in you nose from the house to the car. Paul Ferry and I had breakfast this morning we were discussing how nice Florida would be with those frigid temps in the low 50's right now and then I come on here and you rub in those 60's and 70's ... Hope all is well with you and yours this cold winter Geoff. Drop me an email one of these days.. Take care all and stay warm...

WHAT does 0 feel LIKE?

A LOT OF MONEY$$$$$$$$$$ My furnace has run NON stop the past few days.

I run around the house with a mini disc heater to try to bring the cold spot up to par.

Today I have a frozen pipe that I am chasing :(
I have 1 pipe that froze up on me, but can't figure why?
It is a hot water pipe to the sink in upstairs bathroom. Yet the shower
has hot & even the toilet was plumbed with hot to keep it from sweating in
summer & warm in winter. I may have to find acess to the eave & pump in heat.
I tried hair dryer at the valve hoping it would radiate down the copper behind the wall.

Like I said before 30 would be a heat wave & I could wear my shorts :D

Up to a scorching 19 here in CT at 12:30pm. Getting pretty warm out now, maybe I'll take the GN out for a cruise this afternoon with the windows down.:D Spring can't get here soon enough. Then we can make fun of everyone down south when it is 100 out with 100% humidity.

My parents always call up this time of year to rub it in about how cold it is. They are in FL. I give it back to them in the summer.

It's winter in New England, cold happens! I am just grateful that we haven't lost power like they were talking about last night. That would have been nasty.

Guys, I went outside around noon to smoke a cig in my short sleeve shirt and started shivering. Its pretty cold here too! Its only 69* here. I had to turn my heater on last night cuz it was supposed to get down in the 50s.

I grew up in indiana. I had enough of that cold stuff and got smart and moved to florida when I was 18. I don't think my body could handle the cold anymore. I was out throwing the frisbee with my brother last weekend with a sweatshirt on. An hour later I had an earache from the cold. It was in the high 50s that day.

This morn it was 1 degree at 5:35 a,m and I went out to start my car. It started fine but had a falt. Ever try to change a flat in -14 with wind chill weathr? wow it was painful:(

Got this forwarded to me this morning. It is pretty accurate. By the way, for those curious about the single digits and below, beer at foxboro stadium during the Patriots game last Sunday would start to freeze in under 5 minutes.

FY I New England Temperature Conversion Chart

60 F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England
sunbathe.

50 F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. People in New England plant
gardens.

40 F: Italian & English cars won't start. People in New England drive
with the windows down.

32 F: Distilled water freezes. The water at Moosehead Lake in Maine
starts getting cooler.

20 F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People
in New England throw on a flannel shirt, buttons open.

15 F: New York City landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New
England have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0 F: All the people in Miami die . New Englanders close the windows.

10 below zero: Californians escape en masse to Mexico. Girl Scouts in
New England sell cookies door to door.

25 below zero: Las Vegas disintegrates. People in New England rummage
around the attic to find some winter coats.

40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England
let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Some New Englanders
are frustrated when they can't start their "kahs".

460 below zero (absolute zero on the Kelvin Scale): All atomic motion
stops. People in New England start saying . . . "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below zero: Hell freezes over. Red Sox win World Series.

I've been in -100F and below before. (Wind chill,...ambient was around -65 or so) It Sucks.

And before you ask. Antarctica.

well below 0 here at 6:30 this morning and still cold as heck. supposed to be 32 tommorrow, summer here we come.:D

Originally posted by Geoff87

Hey Geoff, Go _____ yourself:D
Otto

You need not know waht it feels like.
By the way what does it feel like to be 60 in january?
LOL