How do YOU feel about the TTA?! ---

• Bastard Child Step Kid ( dont like it ) ---

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Dont like or dislike it ... its just there ---

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Same Heart as the Buicks, must love it ---

Votes: 105 80.8%

• Total voters
I've always had a love of f-bodys, the 3rd gen in particular but what always turned me off about them was the engines particularly between 82-86, wasnt anything good then. The 87-92 GTA was always the one I liked best. I would never EVER buy anything with a carb, maybe I'm too young to appreciate those cars but all I see is inefficiency.

Being a younger fellow in my 20s I'm more of a FWD 4 cylinder tuner. Its what I grew up with its what's familar to me and its what I could afford to insure. In spite of my love for the GTA I always found them to be weak for a V8. I'm sure for their time they were quite competitive but 210hp from a 4 cylinder NA is nothing these days much less boosted. I also like to do my own tuning with a laptop. I do most of my stuff with HP tuners and since I'm familar with that its hard to convince myself to get a pre OBD2 car that doesn't work with it.

The TTA was appealing to me because its really a cross between two worlds. Its the traditional muscle car formula but with a unconventional and very high tech for its time engine. I've always been a sucker for unusual cars that people underestimate.

My other car which is my daily is a modded 07 Supercharged Cobalt SS which has 298whp. I can take this car to all the import type events and hang out with the younger folk. Or I can take my TTA out and hang with the old musclecar guys. Oddly enough though the TTA recieves alot more attention at the local car meets of 20 year old somethings than what the Cobalt does. I'm quite proud that I've educated most of the locals on the history of the TTA :)

Having owned 5 TTA's throughout the years,I would say I am quite fond of them...Well,At least the look of them.

Then unfortunately,I have to drive the car,Being a person that really hates Rattles,Squeaking panels,And bone jarring rides,I come to dislike driving them very fast.At least if the road is not super smooth.I do like the Handling/braking..Its nice to be in a LC2 powered car that can turn and actually stop.

I know I may get the legion of TTA guys telling me how there car is so quiet...Doesnt make a peep while driving...I think you just get used to it,I have had many people tell me there 3rd gen is nice and quiet,Then you drive it,And its a rattle trap just like all of them.

Anyone who thinks a TTA is better built,Or has a better build quality than the GN/T should get back on there meds!It is still a 3rd gen,Which the build quality on was Horrible.

Its a real Love/Hate relationship with them for me...I have trouble staying away from them,And then cant wait to get rid of them...:biggrin:

Just my opinion...And for the record,I almost bought another TTA recently,And Im still considering it..:D

ps...The exception to the rule is the hardtop,There was a reason why you couldnt get a 87 GTA with the 350 in it with T-Tops...It had to be a hardtop.Im sure they thought the uni body wasnt up to the Hp/tq of the 350,Without the roof as support.Then they throw the LC2 in it...And let it twist away with the T-Tops in it.

Drive a hardtop 3rd gen...Its like a Completely different car.

I like them, but unfortunately, they weren't available in Canada in '89. :(... but every year, I see some which attend the "Buick Performance Weekend" in Englishtown, NJ....BUT for some unknown reason, they're always running slower that GN's. I never saw on running in the 10's, much less 9's...

Claude. :wink:

You guys just gave me a NEW LOOK on this site.

I was at work today thinking ( crap, I may have started a war ) ... then you were all very respectful and civil about things.

I am more proud today to be a part of the "family" than ever. Thanks guys :) ---

I think that they are pretty bad a$$. I was thinking of buying one some time ago. I believe I will think about it again in the future.

I like them, but unfortunately, they weren't available in Canada in '89. :(... but every year, I see some which attend the "Buick Performance Weekend" in Englishtown, NJ....BUT for some unknown reason, they're always running slower that GN's. I never saw on running in the 10's, much less 9's...

Claude. :wink:

I'd really like to own one as well, I think the TTA's are nice. I didn't realize they weren't available in Canada, any idea why?

I'd really like to own one as well, I think the TTA's are nice. I didn't realize they weren't available in Canada, any idea why?

Dunno why...but it happens quite often that when a "special" car is released, they're only for the US market...:eek: :mad: For example, the TTA, GNX, '04-'06 GTO, etc...

Claude. :frown:

I like everyting about the TTA but the ride. I know it can take corners an the GN cant. The GN rides like a caddy down I-95 though

That was my biggest complaint when i purchased my first tta with 48K, i learned more about them and the 26x10.5 et streets made my back feel better. I ran a softer rear tire and the car actually road better, no kidney punches is the way i describe it. Ive had 3 ttas and over 20 turbo regals.
I have owned 3 tenth anniversary trans ams, and probably over 12 other 78-80 trans ams over the years. Had a blue 70 trans am, and my dad had a 73, we still have his 67 firebird since 1970.

By far the 89tta feels best to me, i know sometimes they can be a bitch, but what car isnt?

They are good cars, i have a couple gold diecasts that most never purchased.
BW :)

I've hated them since 1990 when I lost to one in the finals at Raceway Park.:mad:

It was during one of the many Buick events that the track held on Friday nights. I was winning rounds like crazy by drilling the tree and staying consistent at 14.00 (bone stock on Eagle GT's) all night long. It comes down to me and a TTA with personalized plates that read "Race RN". It turns out my opponent is a woman nurse who also bracket races alot. This was my first shot at getting the BIG trophy and it was in my grasp. I kept my dial-in the same as the night got cooler, but we were starting to hot-lap it as we neared the last few cars.

A dry burnout to clean off the street tires and I crept to the beams....shallow-staging to cut another clean light. I glance over and see her dial-in. It's 13.60 so I know I get the jump and she has to chase me down. The adrenaline was flowing, the palms sweating, the tension building.
Slowly building boost to about 2 lbs ready to side-step the brake. Yellow, yellow, RED! Dammit!!! Oh well, that's racing.:redface:

Honestly, I think they were the best of both worlds. A GN that cornered and braked and looked good doing it.:D

I feel they are a good fit with this board and many members own both anyway....just like the SyTy dudes.

Well, growing up watching the Knight Rider, I always had a hard on for the TAs. While going through high school, I was saving up my money to buy a Trans Am GTA then I went to the auto show in 1986 where I saw this black brick that looked like Darth Vader’s chariot. The Buick rep told me it was the fastest American production car. I asked him, with only a little V6 and a hair dryer with an auto tranny to boot? He said yes. I was big V8 and a stick shift guy.I said to my self he is out of his mind even though I liked the sinister look of the all black GN. Few weeks went by and my buddy and I ran into a GN with my buddies IROC. We got tore up so nasty that I was hooked for life.

Back in 1986 there was no TTA so I got a T type but I still wanted a GTA, so later on I bought my buddies 1987 SBC twin turbo GTA to make up for it. I figured my chances of getting my hand on one of 1555 was very slim until few months ago I was able to pick up a basket case TTA#785. I need to put her back together soon.

I still say with all the toys I have, GN receives the most attention and instills the most fear in the mind of the opponent than any other car.

I love both of them but I will take GN over TTA if I had to pick one, just a personal preference!!

Prasad:D

LOVE em! One day, I intend on adding one to be a stable mate to the GN. Knowing me, it will get a color change. So it will probably piss off the purists. But a GNX styled TTA will look sooooo bad ass. :D

hahaha, you and me both, thought i was the only one.
i have the same plans, will own one someday and it will be painted black.

It comes down to me and a TTA with personalized plates that read "Race RN". It turns out my opponent is a woman nurse who also bracket races alot.

Her name was "Becky" .. Believe she had Virginia plates ?? DAMMMM that was a long time ago. In all the times we ran down there in the TTA I only ran her once.. Both of us were in the very low 12s. She red lit and then hero here breaks out.. Did I tell ya bracket racing sucks :p Ever since then we always run flat out :cool:

I've always loved TTA's. I know they must be a little harder to work on but I think it's worth it for the handling and braking. I'd own one for sure.

I suppose if someone gave me a TTA for free, I'd take it. But otherwise....I'd have to pass. I love the GN's so much more for their style, comfort, class, and all around sleakness. The TTA's are cool because of their rarity but not a fan of the body style.

Being I have always been a pontiac guy that is the one car I would strongly consider trading my T-type for if it was of equal value. [ Have a ton in my T ] I have a 68 400 firebird, and a 79 trans am. The TTA would fit right in and be in good company ! Daniel

I suppose if someone gave me a TTA for free, I'd take it. But otherwise....I'd have to pass. I love the GN's so much more for their style, comfort, class, and all around sleakness. The TTA's are cool because of their rarity but not a fan of the body style.

So, you take pride in being the ONE negative vote huh?! ;) ---