What do scan tools read?

TurboLink and Scanmaster will read the data stream being sent to the ALDL port.

DirectScan on the other hand connects to the ECM itself and as such will display more data, though I don't think crank position is included.

Here are some links to give you and idea of what each scan tool will display, there are also big differences in the frame rate of the data:
-Scanmaster 2

-TurboLink

-Direct Scan

Hope this helps,

Hey Lance

Lance, the links were helpful. I tried a Friend's Turbo Link today. I'm so used to my Scan Master though. I'm thinking about buying it, but I can't see all the benefits of it. It doesn't even record peak boost. I have a hard time with the O2 count too. You have to look at the shifts for O2's on this system right? Thanks, Ted :eek:

Re: Hey Lance

Originally posted by Cool87GN
Lance, the links were helpful. I tried a Friend's Turbo Link today. I'm so used to my Scan Master though. I'm thinking about buying it, but I can't see all the benefits of it. It doesn't even record peak boost. I have a hard time with the O2 count too. You have to look at the shifts for O2's on this system right? Thanks, Ted :eek:

I don't understand what you mean by "peak boost". With boost sensing hardware you get manifold pressure along with the other sensor data in each frame. I find it extremely useful to reference boost pressure to O2's to MAF, etc.

I mounted scanmaster up on the dash, next to the boost gauge, at eye level. That way I can watch retard as I head down course. I watch boost and retard exclusively during the run, if I see more than 3 degrees in 3rd gear - I lift. Thru 1st and 2nd I just gather the car and get it headed straight - then all eyes on the gauges.

TurboLink is then saved to the drive for a more detailed review of the pass in the pits. Spend some time with boost vs. O2's, vs MAF vs. RPM and so on. Do we need to add fuel, add air or reduce both?

I love scanmaster for the street, but Min O2's, Max retard and their associated MPH's just isn't enough data when you are really leaning on it at the track IMO. Though, I might add, it's a heck of a lot better than no data :)