What Do I Need To Convert To Vacuum Brake's???

Been there, felt that! :D I was tickled to death too when I first changed mine. Waaaayyy better. Glad you got 'er done. :cool:

So are you saying as far as overall stopping power a vacuum set up stops better/quicker than a power master?

Personally, It feels like I have more feedback as too braking. It does grab better than the PM, plus...my peace of mind has increased 10 fold knowing that the PM won't leave me with the dreaded hard pedal at the worst possible time. 2 big thumbs up on this mod, especially for safety sake!!

Cool. It seems some believe the PM gives you more pressure to hold the brakes as opposed to a vacuum unit.

red regals stuff

i got red regals kit last year & works great. i installed it myself in 2/3 hours & while the brake pedal is a pain, the rest was easy. i took the seat out (only 4 bolts) so i could fit my fat ass(6ft/240lbs) under the dash. do it ,you'll never look back.

OK did the conversion today. Found a brake pedal out of a cutlass at the wrecking yard..$10.20 Other than all the blood rushing to head and my sweat running in my eye's stinging the heck out of em, mission accomplished, not too bad. About 30 min to get it out, seat was close and I was tring to wiggle my big frame down below.

New Booster/Master Cylinder from Oreillys...$140. It should be noted, Napa, Advance and Auto Zone had nada here in OKC...could not believe it.

2 Hours later, everything installed, brakes bled. To bad I don't have a finger icon for the powermaster!! Ahhh vacume brakes ROCK!!! This is the way to go. It really is not that difficult, other than you need to be flexible..haha

Best darn mod for these cars!!!

Steve

And I was quoted $300 for all the parts.:mad: My problem is that I really don't know what Im doing and with my luck lately I would not trust the car if I did the job.Im very impatient with things I never did before.I just got that Italian temper.:mad:

Reading back thru your posts there Real99, is it the brake pedal swap you are uncomfortable with? You sound as if a swap for another Powermaster is a walk in the park for you, but to have to get up under the dash and swap the pedal is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

And I thought it was the Irish with bad tempers.

Reading back thru your posts there Real99, is it the brake pedal swap you are uncomfortable with? You sound as if a swap for another Powermaster is a walk in the park for you, but to have to get up under the dash and swap the pedal is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

And I thought it was the Irish with bad tempers.

I think neither would be a walk in the park for me.I never fooled around anything relating to the brake's.Just got rid of my Mustang GT and am selling my old muscle car now.Oh I forgot to mention I do have Irish in me but I have the Sicilian Italian in me but I never get out of control.:cool:

I guess I've never been afraid to tackle anything because I usually read or ask a bunch of questions before I proceed. Even then, with a digital camera, I take a ton of pictures so that I can reference if I get lost. This board has been a great help as well as the gnttype.org site for information.

Steve :)

I guess I've never been afraid to tackle anything because I usually read or ask a bunch of questions before I proceed. Even then, with a digital camera, I take a ton of pictures so that I can reference if I get lost. This board has been a great help as well as the gnttype.org site for information.

Steve :)

I talked to 2 guys on this board in the past 4 weeks.They were very helpfull but just don't live that close to me.Im a little afraid to tackle this because I have had about the worst luck in the past 2 month's as I have had in a while.My Daily Driver got totaled.Im selling my 69 396 Camaro but to many pretender's calling about it.Also a while ago my 69 Camaro failed to brake and I hit a car across the street.There's nothing worse then trying to stop a car with no results:eek: .Luckily I just was slowing backing out of my driveway but the 69 caused $500 worth of damage to the other car.

Dang talk of bad luck. Why did the brakes on the 69 give way?

I agree with GS toy, first time I tried putting in a shift kit in a TH350 I was scared, not sure what to expect, so I took a bunch of pics of the trans valve body before unbolting it. Turned out installing a shift kit was easier to do that I thought.

I've been down that road of bad luck..it really bites, but just keep pushing forward. The GN I just bought had been sitting for 6~7 years, #4 exhaust valve had a chunk missing so I pulled the engine. Since I was pulling the one head, I figured might as well check the other side a put new HG's on. Anyhow, I had the engine in the car for less than 24 hours, got onto the main drag and blew both HG's after the engine backfired real hard...talk about being ticked off.

Anyhow, doing the swap is really easy. The hardest part was getting the brake pedal off the doner vehicle, pull my pedal and replace. I'm 6'3" 260 and not as flexible as I use to be, but it's not bad.

I'm in the middle of doing a complete frame off restro on my 72 Buick convertable, have I ever done it before...never, but I have over 1000 pics of how everything came off, service manuals, and best of all, the support and encouragement of fellew Buick lovers, just like this board. :)

Steve

I've been down that road of bad luck..it really bites, but just keep pushing forward. The GN I just bought had been sitting for 6~7 years, #4 exhaust valve had a chunk missing so I pulled the engine. Since I was pulling the one head, I figured might as well check the other side a put new HG's on. Anyhow, I had the engine in the car for less than 24 hours, got onto the main drag and blew both HG's after the engine backfired real hard...talk about being ticked off.

Anyhow, doing the swap is really easy. The hardest part was getting the brake pedal off the doner vehicle, pull my pedal and replace. I'm 6'3" 260 and not as flexible as I use to be, but it's not bad.

I'm in the middle of doing a complete frame off restro on my 72 Buick convertable, have I ever done it before...never, but I have over 1000 pics of how everything came off, service manuals, and best of all, the support and encouragement of fellew Buick lovers, just like this board. :)

Steve

I like working on cars but on certain things.I just got rid of my 89 Mustang GT because it needed alot to look good.Im selling my 69 Camaro because I can't afford to jeep it.I never blew a head gasket but I did mess up the rod bearing's in another car.Thats not to lucky blowing the head gasgets in less then 24 hours but at least no engine damage was caused.:cool:

Real 99, how did ya make out with this?? BTW, I live in Sinking Spring, maybe 10 minutes (Tops) from Maple Grove, and I'd be HAPPY to help ya with ANY Buick related issues!

I decided to go with a remanufactured Powermaster because of the extra braking power when power braking it.Can't really drive the car the way it is so I should have a new unit in there in a few weeks.I got alot of big and little things to fix other then the Powermaster unit.

Help please. Will the brake pedal work off any G-Body work for conversion? The only junkyard cars I can find are an 81 Regal and 82 Cutlass both with power brakes of course. I have searched and read so many different years. Thanks, in advance guys.

Jimmy

I had too many issues with vacuum brakes & went with 84 hydroboost.

With the issues I had, if you really want vacuum - I suggest a lobotomy.

Do the conversion to vacuum. My powermaster failed me twice. I switched over to vacuum and never looked back. I keep the powermaster in a box in the garage and I kick it evertime I walk by.Makes me feel good.