What do boxed control arms do???

90TGP

I hear this all the time and know a few members here have them, but what do boxed A-arms do? Do they help with steering/ suspension???

Boxed control arms on the rearend: Helps keep the rear from flexing under heavy acceleration and cornering.
I think tubular a-arms are used mostly with the bigger brakes. Helps improve steering geometery and I'm sure they are a lot stiffer than the stamped steel units.

No more rear hop is right!!! The proper rear sway bar helps out too. I bolted on the giant ATR rear sway bar, only to have my LCA's begin to fold up like tacos.

My vote was to box my rear lower and upper control arms. But, after pricing the box-in-kits and realizing that I needed new bushings too...I opted to go with the HRPartsNstuff control arms. The difference is negligible, and the units are a direct bolt on vs you trying to cut and weld and order the bushings separately. Hint: Order the bushing "tool", I know I'm going to.

However, there are a few guys here on the board that have used "home made" kits for little to no money. And they work fine also. The only difference, besides price, would be cosmetic appearance.

Erik

Cosmetic appearance...? Who's going to be able to look at the control arms when you're blowing by them in the first place!? ;)

definate difference

A buddy of mine just put some boxed LCA's on his GN, he said he can feel the difference. One thing I do know, your stock LCA's are pretty flimsy, if you lock one end in a vise and put a screwdriver through the other end you can flex it with your bare hands! Shameful. - BB

90 is right,
Not too many people care about what their LCA's look like under the car. But you have some guys (like TurboGN) who have an under side as pretty as the interior. Or the guys that have a vanity complex while the car is on a trailer.

And BB hit it right on the head. With a serious combo, they suck. The stockers are fine if you stay mild...but go wild, and you'll end up like me. They just don't like the super duper high torque/high boost launches for some reason :p

Erik