What Direction What Parts?

clonestocker

We now have a GN in the family. I'm a Mopar Man (10sec small block) but the deal my brother threw at my son we couldn't pass up. Don't know anything about computers, injection and Turbos but they intrigue me.

The car my son bought has 160,000 miles on it. The car was parked for a few years. My son flew out to drive it home. As he put it "It's a Smoker". Well today he found the problem. If he saw this in Texas he probably wouldn't have driven it home. Turbo is trashed. Impeller is hammered and the shaft has at least a 1/4 inch of play. Motor make some noise inside not sure what it is. Can't oil burning cause detonation?

A total rebuild is out of the question at this time. But, what direction does one go? Should he get one of those scan tools? I'm sure he'll want to upgrade the Turbo, Injectors and so on. If the turbo and intercooler are out. I think it should have a new timing chain and water pump. I'm not sure what he's thinking but I don't think it's wise to lean on the original short block that hard. I can't wait to see how these think tick. thx matt

The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Start here. Make it a reliable daily driver then toy with it.

I agree. Give it a good spring cleaning and find out what is ticking first. Since the turbo is shot it is a good time to upgrade to a better turbo that you can play with in the future. I really would not start spending money until you find out what kind of shape the engine is in. A scanmaster will help with tuning but may not be at the top of the list at this time.

Good luck and keep us posted.