What could the problem be?

87GNattyKid

Hey guys, i just bought a turbo t and when i took it out today it did something strange. Every now and then when i hit the gas hard or do a burnout theres a loud popping noise (like a shotgun), it almost sound like the thing is backfireing...im not a master mechanic so im not really sure what this could be...any help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, the car doesnt seem to have any mechanical issues...it runs great, idles strong, hasnt stalled, even after the loud sound. The car has a larger intercooler and a 3 inch down pipe but other than that its pretty much stock...Thanks in advanced!

-Joe

found the mods list from the sale section...here's what its got:

stock trans and converter
stock turbo
oil filter relocation kit
3 core aluminum rad
3inch downpipe
2.5 cat back
19 row intercooler
42.5 green top inj and commander chip
ls1 mass air meter
210-215 non roller cam
new timing chain
lt1 springs
rear mounted battery

Check to make sure that your IC hoses are all secure, check for any vacuum leaks, and also check to make sure that your plug wires are on correctly. You might also want to check the condition/gap on the plugs. Is there a check engine light?

Also, aren't those injectors a tad too big for a stock setup?

im probably gunna have to bring it to a shop as im not familiar with these cars and dont want to get in too deep with something that could be a major problem...anyone know of any GN performance shops near long island?

Hey guys, i just bought a turbo t and when i took it out today it did something strange. Every now and then when i hit the gas hard or do a burnout theres a loud popping noise (like a shotgun), it almost sound like the thing is backfireing...im not a master mechanic so im not really sure what this could be...any help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, the car doesnt seem to have any mechanical issues...it runs great, idles strong, hasnt stalled, even after the loud sound. The car has a larger intercooler and a 3 inch down pipe but other than that its pretty much stock...Thanks in advanced!

-Joe
lean from over boosting or bad fuel pump. gte a fuel pressure gauge and verify 1:1 ration with boost. fuel should be 43 +- 5 line off. you should be running 12 to 15 psi so it should rise to 55 to 58 depend where it is boost and fuel settings. get a scanner should not own a turbo car with out one.

lean from over boosting or bad fuel pump. gte a fuel pressure gauge and verify 1:1 ration with boost. fuel should be 43 +- 5 line off. you should be running 12 to 15 psi so it should rise to 55 to 58 depend where it is boost and fuel settings. get a scanner should not own a turbo car with out one.

He told me he is seeing 20 psi at WOT and there is some whitish smoke coming out of the exhaust... and the overflow tank was almost out of coolant.

He told me he is seeing 20 psi at WOT and there is some whitish smoke coming out of the exhaust... and the overflow tank was almost out of coolant.
i guess he ate a headgasket from overboosting. is this on 93 and no alky? he is burning the coolant. tell him to pull plugs and look at them you should be able to tell

i guess he ate a headgasket from overboosting. is this on 93 and no alky? he is burning the coolant. tell him to pull plugs and look at them you should be able to tell

Ditto... still having him check a few things and get back to me.

took the boost up to 18 with no problems...and its running on 93 atm. i didnt floor it when i took it out however so i didnt give it a chance to get well over 18 but i did take it through every gear gradually with no problems?

the problem now is did you blow a headgasket since you are using coolant and burning it

Check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake.. wouldn't drive it until you get it sorted out or you could ruin all your bearings.

Lower the boost and see if it still does it... under the turbo is the wastegate that's where u lower it by pulling the end of the rod off the downpipes and turn the end of the rod so that its longer then put back onto downpipe..leave boost low until u have some way to keep an eye on knock