What color is this car?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I think it's Dark Garnet Red Metallic. But the body shop couldn't find the body tag. Looking at the list it looked like Dark Garnet Red Metallic is the only one that makes sense. The red-like options in 1987 are:

Carmine (is this red?)
Flame Red Metallic
Med Garnet Red Metallic
Dk Garnet Red Metallic
Med Rosewood Metallic
Lt Rosewood Metallic
Dk Rosewood Metallic

Here's the original faded car:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/87t_paint.htm

They sprayed some Dark Garnet Red Metallic and said it looks right. But they had also sanded the whole thing down - door jambs and all. The original decklid is not around so they couldn't compare the underside of it.

Did I guess right?

Jim

Well, if anyone cares the car is a color not listed on the gnttype site for 1987 Buicks. It is indeed "DARK RED", not a dark garnet red metallic like I had assumed. It's code 79 which is a dark red 2-stage "pearl". Using instructions in this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150244 I was able to find the code on the decklid. I also was able to tell the body guy where to find the tag on the cowl.

They've already 'edged' the car in the '76' (Dark Garnet Red Metallic) color, meaning they've put 2 coats of base on all of the edges. Then they assemble the car and paint the whole thing. This way they get enough paint in the nooks and crannies. Now they either need to sand that down and repaint it with the '79' color or paint over the '76' base with '79' and see how it looks.

I feel bad because a friend of mine manages the shop and took the car on as a favor. They only do high-end stuff and the owners were skeptical. He called me yesterday to ask for the paint code and I pulled the one that made sense from the gnttype site ('76'). He's already underwater with it even after adding $500 to his original estimate. This additional labor is going to make it worse. I can tell he's stressed about it but he's too nice to say anything.

In any event they're going to make sure it's the right color and that the edges look right.

Jim

turbojimmy said:
In any event they're going to make sure it's the right color and that the edges look right.Jim
Damn, I want him to repaint mine when the time comes. He must be one who really cares about his reputation as being the best he can be. '

I would think that any of the dark red type colors would look good when new. Post some after shots so we can see the results.

Good Luck!

zeus87gn said:
Damn, I want him to repaint mine when the time comes. He must be one who really cares about his reputation as being the best he can be. '

I would think that any of the dark red type colors would look good when new. Post some after shots so we can see the results.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

I found some pics of a Dark Garnet Red '87 - it's a really nice color but it's quite a bit darker than the Dark Red Metallic. They mixed up some Dark Red Metallic and said it has more of a purplish hue than the Garnet, too. They re-scuffed the Garnet and re-coated the edges with Dark Red Metallic. It added a couple of hours to the job, but it will look right.

They'll be painting the rest of the car this week. We'll put up some pics.

Jim

Here's a link to a couple of pics with the correct Dark Red Metallic (code 79) applied to the doors and deck lid. It's nice and dark, but more 'purple-ish' than the Garnet. You can also see the great job they did on the 1/4s. They had to put new metal in them in front of and behind the wheel.

Caution: Big Pics.
http://www.turbojimmy.com/87t_paint_page2.htm

Jim

You should be able to paint the right base coat right over the first color and go from there.

That's what we used to do when we started to paint one the wrong color. It didn't seem to be a problem.

1ARUNM said:
You should be able to paint the right base coat right over the first color and go from there.

That's what we used to do when we started to paint one the wrong color. It didn't seem to be a problem.

Yeah, that's what they did. I was talking to a buddy of mine who manages the shop - he wasn't sure what to do. When the paint guy got there he said not to sweat it - it'll look fine. And it does.

They put the first base coat on the entire car today. I'm going to try to snap more pics tomorrow.

Jim

They cleared the jambs, edges and underside of the decklid yesterday. They also put the first couple of base coats on the body. Attached is a pic of the jamb. It's going to look nice, I think.

Jim

Attachments

• 87t_012006.jpg
    87t_012006.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 311
Looking good!

Jim, I had a friend of mine that had GS (I think it was anyway) back about 10 years ago that got the 'purple' looking color your shop started with. It was sharp even though it wasn't original.

I have a feeling you will be quite pleased with it when they are done. Can't wait to see the end result. I like the blackness of the GN, but the variety of colors available on the standard turbo regals are great. Vareity is the spice of life!

RE: Paint Color

Nice color. But if you where looking for the stock color. The code was mentioned in trunk with option codes. Also code should be on drivers side,
Can't remeber where just now. I did the same thing. So I wouldn't have to do door jambs and trunk. Gave my friend a break.

By the way nie color. Car should look real nice. I'm happy with the original.
Hope this helped some. ...........................Rob

RobV6 said:
Nice color. But if you where looking for the stock color. The code was mentioned in trunk with option codes. Also code should be on drivers side,
Can't remeber where just now. I did the same thing. So I wouldn't have to do door jambs and trunk. Gave my friend a break.

By the way nie color. Car should look real nice. I'm happy with the original.
Hope this helped some. ...........................Rob

Thanks. We ultimately did find the stock color on the decklid and on the tag on the firewall/cowl. So the color in the pics is the correct color. He (it's my brother's car) had the jambs and trunk painted anyway so it would all look new.

The car is done - I'm trying to get pics of it. Neither my brother nor I have seen it yet. They're going to flatbed it back to my brother's house tomorrow so he can put it back together (bumpers, lights, interior, badges, etc.).

Jim

Looking good!

Might I suggest some detailing. Your doorjambs would look great if you would replace the striker,seat belt release and vent valve with some new parts. I hope you are replacing the weatherstrips too? All of this stuff is still available from GM.

The 86 Limited I'm using for parts has good weather stripping. It's a chrome trimmed car but the track for the weather stripping is all black exept for the edge along the back of the window. All I need is to paint that one peice of the molding black. I also need to fiqure out what kind of sealant to use between the weather strip track and the body of the car?

Re: Paint Color

It's either DRK> metallic rosewood, Or mediun Rose wood. My friend has the
exact car. In a Limited 87. As I mentioned, Your choice in colors is yours.
Keep in mind that there is so much body work to do the jams and the trunk,
on what ever color you decide.

I came to that point, as we where taking the car apart. What color do I want. And how much overspray will I get trying to make this look stock.
My decision was this. Car is 1987 Limited white with blue interior.
Needed a trunk. GOD I found a white one. Rest is history.Only thing,noone says what color was this...............................SMILES :)

SOmetimes things work out. Make it easy on your self...

Should be real nice. Went over your color. Degree in Illustration. Appears a little redder, but really cool. Did you pull the windows out?
Car should be a real looker. I have to get messurements for my Limited badges. Sides and trunk. If anyone owns one it would hellp a great deal.
Would like to show photos of mine.

One last thing,if you have a garage. Keep spraying with water. Hardens paint.
Wait to buff out. Hope I helped some.....Good luck......Rob

RE: Good

Just my .02 cents. But the baking, comma every body comes out good.
Your paint will be hard, the guy knows his stuff. Would like to see some pictures when you are done.
My car, I've been lucky meeting some really nice helpful people along the way. Which is what I was trying to do with you. You won't believe it when you see it painted. Real rush. Keep me posted