What Can You Tell Me About This TA???

Rivical

Growing Member
This TA is sitting in a local salvage yard, complete. Well almost;) I can't tell my from my writing if the ones in the ser# are 1's or I's, so I hope somebody else would know what character goes where... I'll just make em all "1"s,,, 1G2FW21E2JL219XXX. The door tag is really faded but it looked like build date might've been 1/17/87, not sure...

It was a tow in from a local apartment complex. Guy went to jail, never paid the storage when he got out.

Rather than join a TA forum I thought I'd ask here what the yard owner doesn't even know, cuz he's just lettin it sit in the side area where nothing can be done with em yet. I've been eyeballin it for a year now. Interior hood release is broken so I can't pop it and just look to see what motor it's got. Probly a 305. It does have an emblem on the dash for sport suspension, so I figure it's a WS6. Black/Black on stock 16" whatever they call em wheels/ look like BBS. Doesn't look like it needs much work, thought it might make a good first car project for my soon to be 14yo son.

it's got the GTA wheels, so it might be a GTA.
does it have rear discs and the big sway bars? i think the front bar is hollow on the cars with the WS6 suspension.
i say get it if it's cheap enough and you can get a title for it and don't worry about how the title decodes.. best case engine wise is that it came with a 210 or so hp TPI 350 and 3.42 gears if it's an auto, but if it's a 5 speed car then it could have had a 200 or so hp 205.

There are no TA emblems on it, just birds on the horn button and between tail lights. It's been repainted once. The 4whl disc is there, and Auto trans. But it's got T-Tops so I don't know if a 350 is even a possibility. A weak suck 305 and a good suspension is a good start to build on his skills in every direction while having a decent platform to keep it under control. But it would be nice to not have to break loose of one of my 350's for him at some point, if he started with his own.
It would definitely come with a salvage title from the yard too.

There are no TA emblems on it, just birds on the horn button and between tail lights. It's been repainted once. The 4whl disc is there, and Auto trans. But it's got T-Tops so I don't know if a 350 is even a possibility. A weak suck 305 and a good suspension is a good start to build on his skills in every direction while having a decent platform to keep it under control. But it would be nice to not have to break loose of one of my 350's for him at some point, if he started with his own.
It would definitely come with a salvage title from the yard too.

The 16" cross lace wheels could be had on T/A's and GTA's.

T roof on a 5.7 was possible until the end of the '89 model year, with a few exceptions.

4 wheel discs make it a T/A or GTA.

Highest gear available with auto was a 3.27 in the 9 bolt. 3.42 and 3.45(9 bolt) only came with G92 equipped 5 speed cars.

36mm front sway bar came on "Level 3 WS6" cars. That means GTA or G92 T/A's and Formulas. The standard "Level 2" T/A bar is 34mm.

The 8th digit of the vin is E which means a 5.0L L03 TBI engine. It's a dog but does a great impression of a real V8. Especially if you're a teenager.

It looks like it's an '88 T/A that would likely have the "Level 2" WS6 setup.