What can you do to prevent the rear quarter panel wrinkle? Fast hard launching cars.

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
Title should read : Fast Hard Launching Street Cars.

You know the spot. You can tell it when you see it. Nope that didn't happen from a shopping cart at Walmart. This car leaves HARD. How can you prevent that wrinkle? Its a shame to have a really nice car that performs well but is marred by that quarter wrinkle. Is there some sort of bracing that can be put in place to prevent it? You don't see it on caged cars so I have to believe that the bracing provided by a cage prevents it but what about on street cars that see some track duty? What about a car that you don't want to cage? What can be done to stop the wrinkle? Botox?

are you talking about the top corners of the rear 1/4 windows?

Check out the quarter right over their rear tires.
presentation1-jpg.108329

mwbc-jpg.108334

PB070107.jpg

Title should read : Fast Hard Launching Street Cars.

You know the spot. You can tell it when you see it. Nope that didn't happen from a shopping cart at Walmart. This car leaves HARD. How can you prevent that wrinkle? Its a shame to have a really nice car that performs well but is marred by that quarter wrinkle. Is there some sort of bracing that can be put in place to prevent it? You don't see it on caged cars so I have to believe that the bracing provided by a cage prevents it but what about on street cars that see some track duty? What about a car that you don't want to cage? What can be done to stop the wrinkle? Botox?

SLOW DOWN:D

Adding the rear seat braces wont hurt.. other than that there isnt much you can do unless you wanna start welding in things on the car. I chose to sacrifice some e/t and leave easier and let the car make the power down track rather than off the 60ft. Theres a fine line of power with traction you can leave with and not wrinkle/buckle a quarter.. I personally am not willing to chance it for a couple more tenths. The pict in my sig is a 4 psi launch.

Since the body is tied to the frame you need to keep the frame from bending in an upside down U. Weld some thick, 2" angle iron along the bottom of the frame under the rocker panel and under the rear quarter panel. Add X braces tying in the rear portion of the frame to the front portion where the control arms connect. Put solid body bushings (poly bushings maybe) under the body but use rubber bushings in the very back to allow some movement.

ks

Here's a video from an old school member...filmed by an old school member Pacemkr. You can see it buckle when disco takes off.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

As stated above, avoid polyurethane bushings and transbrake launches. Mine creased both in BG last year on a 1.53 60'. That hurts to see.
Is there a way to fix them? I don't know

The frame and body are weak to say the least Clay. The only real way to prevent damage like you're talking about is a roll bar or cage. It connects the middle and rear of the frame so they don't flex as much and cause damage.;)

Anyone ever check to see if the right side bulges out? :)

Trade, put your hand here.....ejected into stands.;)

Well that's not the right answer. You really aren't going that fast when you make that dent.;)
Nasty, after replaying that video 50 times, he wasn't even moving when it gave. Lol..... It almost sounds like i heard the metal pop out.

You should have seen his face when we told him!

That was Buick vs Ford 2007 Noble OK.

John hadn't started that car orvdriven it for a year. Slapped in on the trailer and that video was the first pass with the new combo!

The more important question is:
How do these guys get away with racing that fast and no cage??

ks

Good info guys. I have no use for a caged street car. IMO it takes the enjoyment out of the leisure cruise. You can't have a sleeper with a cage. Cage SCREAMS race car. I love watching race cars race but I do not enjoy driving them on the street. I do not look down upon our members who cage their street cars I just know that it isn't for me. Seems like there is a small market for a brace kit that could remedy this.

Good info guys. I have no use for a caged street car. IMO it takes the enjoyment out of the leisure cruise. You can't have a sleeper with a cage. Cage SCREAMS race car. I love watching race cars race but I do not enjoy driving them on the street. I do not look down upon our members who cage their street cars I just know that it isn't for me. Seems like there is a small market for a brace kit that could remedy this.
I'm the exact same way.. I don't like cages on street cars either.

ks

If you launch right it kinks both 1/4 the same.