What can you do to prevent the rear quarter panel wrinkle? Fast hard launching cars.

Re-exposureofIMG_2358.jpg

Phils car really didnt launch very straight:confused:

I unhooked my WOLF sway bar for that pic, with the sway bar it launched perfectly straight.. This car also didnt have a roll cage

Wish I would of seen this posting earlier. I have the perfect solution for you, coming from a guy that used to love low riders and added an extra 1000 pounds to a g body with 12 diesel batteries and 2 pumps. Yeah I know what you guys might be thinking but hey that was my early 20's. Lots of people in that scene had the same problem with the quarters buckling like you are referring and the way we strengthen the quarters from all the weight and the bouncing down the street was by fiberglassing the quarter panels with kitty hair fiberglass. We used to put some long gloves on and pack the glass over the crucial areas and smear it on the entire panels from the inside and let dry. This is an old friends regal that also had the quarters panels fiberglassed to prevent the creases from appearing.

I would like to hear more about this. Do you have any pictures? I was talking to my body guy (who knows gbody cars) and friend and said it's not a bad idea.

View attachment 201634

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If you can get a body man to do it would probably have the best results but make sure you try to cover most of the quarter to have best results. I think it took a gallon or a gallon and a half to do both quarters. Once it's applied we would paint over it with satin black to match the color of the trunk, if applied correctly most people could will not even notice. I do not have pictures of the results but I can assure that you'll almost be able to punch the panel and not be able to make a dent! The panels feel very solid and does not make the hollow sound we are all familiar with. Hope this helps in my opinion it the best option for a street car that only sees a track a few times in its life, or you can always do reinforcing and the fiberglass for added insurance.

If you can get a body man to do it would probably have the best results but make sure you try to cover most of the quarter to have best results. I think it took a gallon or a gallon and a half to do both quarters. Once it's applied we would paint over it with satin black to match the color of the trunk, if applied correctly most people could will not even notice. I do not have pictures of the results but I can assure that you'll almost be able to punch the panel and not be able to make a dent! The panels feel very solid and does not make the hollow sound we are all familiar with. Hope this helps in my opinion it the best option for a street car that only sees a track a few times in its life, or you can always do reinforcing and the fiberglass for added insurance.

Are we talking about the whole inner side of the quarter panel or just in the area that usually buckles?

Thanks
Prasad

Correct. The entire visual part of the inner panel and the part that is over the wheel well. I would also suggest starting from the inner most front portion, right under the rear quarter glass because its the hardest to get to. Covering most of the panel would help to keeping its strength and rigidity.

Correct. The entire visual part of the inner panel and the part that is over the wheel well. I would also suggest starting from the inner most front portion, right under the rear quarter glass because its the hardest to get to. Covering most of the panel would help to keeping its strength and rigidity.

Thanks, at this point the last thing I need is for the quarter panel to buckle after I get my paint job. I am going to do anything and everything if it helps ! I don't want any regrets!
Thanks
Prasad

Haaaaaaa Nice, you got me there! Who knows if my turd would ever be completed. I am a great project starter but then I get side tracked and put things on the back burner. We will see!!!!
Prasad:D

Haaaaaaa Nice, you got me there! Who knows if my turd would ever be completed. I am a great project starter but then I get side tracked and put things on the back burner. We will see!!!!
Prasad:D

I'm confident that you'll put together a very stout machine. I don't know that you'll have to worry about buckling the quarters unless you decide to put it on a track though. I've never seen a public street prepped good enough to stick that kind of power to the ground. I've only seen a car pull the front wheels up on the street once but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

I got all braces and poly bushing along with anti roll bar and mine does the same thing at 10 psi launch. Lower boost with slicks

I got all braces and poly bushing along with anti roll bar and mine does the same thing at 10 psi launch. Lower boost with slicks

Is your frame notched?