What can I do to tune our T?

TABuickMike

Michael Tomaszewski Jr
I've been wanting to get our T-Type tuned for a long time because I know it isn't. Its all sock except for the chip (so no sure what there is to tune) but I know the chip doesn't match this car. Most of the stuff on the car is original or is getting old so what are the things I should look at to do a tune up on a turbo car? I dont know if its running rich or if the cat is just bad but the exhaust smells really strong. I've also noticed a lot of the rubber hoses on the engine have surface cracks on them so I figure ones that are vacuum could cause a problem if they leak. Soo what should I look for and do to tune the car up and what would I need to do so? Also any recommendations on a new chip?

Thanks! If pictures of things on the car to show their condition would help I can take pictures.

I've been wanting to get our T-Type tuned for a long time because I know it isn't. Its all sock except for the chip (so no sure what there is to tune) but I know the chip doesn't match this car. Most of the stuff on the car is original or is getting old so what are the things I should look at to do a tune up on a turbo car? I dont know if its running rich or if the cat is just bad but the exhaust smells really strong. I've also noticed a lot of the rubber hoses on the engine have surface cracks on them so I figure ones that are vacuum could cause a problem if they leak. Soo what should I look for and do to tune the car up and what would I need to do so? Also any recommendations on a new chip?

Thanks! If pictures of things on the car to show their condition would help I can take pictures.

No one at TA can help you?

No one at TA can help you?

Haha dont get me wrong dad goes above and beyond the call of duty to help me and answer my millions of questions, which he always does, he's just one person with his knowledge and opinions. In my quest for additional knowledge, I come here for others knowledge and opinions to add onto his. The more info and experience I can get the better, no?

DAMN!, Get Nick Micale over their to do it!!!:D

That's my problem and semi purpose of the post, being a full time mechanical engineer at ASU eats up my entire weekday (7:30am-5/6pm sometimes later m-f) and then I usually spend the weekend studying or catching up on chores/homework so as much as I'd love to swing by Nicks and all the things that go through my mind that I want to go over there and do, I just don't have the time. I'm on a knowledge hunt right now, stock piling info and ideas for the summer when I'll have time :D

You cant knock me for wanting to learn as much as I possibly can ;)

Replace all rotted hoses and check valves that are bad. Probably needs a new o2 sesor.
Follow the spring cleaning on gnttype.org
Make sure you have a good new fuel pump and hotwire kit & Adj fuel psi reg

When are you going to have time to work on it??? LOL

Get a Turbo Tweak chip

Deleted original post.

X2 with Otto!
I truly belief the best way towards fast learing, is to get someone to show you.
Sure, you can read countless hours (like I do :eek:) and ask questions, but nothing beats "hands on teaching".
The time you will spend reading, Nick M. could have shown you that and more in 10% of the time.

If all the sensors are giving the correct voltages and everything is working properly, then there is really nothing to "tune" since the chip takes care of everything.

"but I know the chip doesn't match this car."

Jr, can you elaborate? This would be #1 on my list.

This board has a wealth of info as well.

Warning though......ya get the "T" running nails, ya may not wanna play with the GS. :eek: :biggrin:

I thought it was just my son..........:confused:

All kids (young men) think their dads Know nothing..........:biggrin:

No disrespect intended. Just funny.

And you are correct more info is good.

one step at a time

These cars are very different animals than the carb'd ones. (obvious I suppose) I bought my car from a 'GS guy" that wanted to try the turbo cars since he'd seen them at the GS Nats. After trying it he sold it to me and bought another Skylark....

At any rate, take a bunch of pics and post them, we can help identify what work has been done, and what needs to be done.

The dryrotted hoses by the turbo control the boost. they connect boost pressure into the wastegate actuator causing it to open and let exhaust bypass the turbine side of the turbo, thus controlling the boost pressure. If the hoses fail, you can have an overboost condition which will cause lots of detonation and break things. Detonation on a turbo car kills engines, its very different than in the V8 world.

The stock fuel pump was barely adequate for the stock car when it was new, if your pump is original, plan on changing it. If the plug wires are old, plan on changing them.

You need a fuel pressure gauge, a boost gauge, and access to a scantool to properly set up or diagnose one of these cars.

The "Spring Cleaning" procedure that people refer to is a good starting point. Get everything working as it should be before you start modifying and 'tuning'.

I agree that an experienced pair of eyes is a good thing, either a local guy on the boards, or make arrangements to meet with someone like Nick Micale (or other equally capable guru) after hours or on a Saturday.

Good luck with the project!

Bob

I thought it was just my son..........:confused:

All kids (young men) think their dads Know nothing..........:biggrin:

No disrespect intended. Just funny............

Yes, that IS funny, my kid has done it too! :D

I have known Mike Jr. since he was a baby, and he is now a fine young man. :)

We have had a few sessions going over his car, but in this age of "instant" information, patience is hard to find. ;)

I sent him back to do some turbo Buick research for a few hours, and we will have another session soon! :cool: