What are the recomendation for injector upgrade?

J Speak

I have an 86 T-type . Here are the mods.
Stock heads
Stock cam
Precision gt6152 turbo
Powerstroke intercooler
Tin man cold air kit
009 injectors 42lbs
ATR 3"DP
ATR 2.5 SS Exhaust complete
Upgraded valve springs
Hot wired fuel pump
Walbro 340 fuel pump
Turbo Tweakchip

What is the biggest injector I can safely run with this setup?

Wrong question.

The question to ask yourself is:

What is my performance goal, and the best injector to meet that goal?

If you plan to keep the stock turbo, heads, converter, etc, I'd go 60s with a TT chip.

I'd also add alky (only cause I'm an upgrade whore, and I realize that the goal I plan to hit will only last a short while - I'll want more power, Scotty!:cool: )

When I swapped from stock injectors someone on here said something like, "go with the TT 60#ers, they'll work with a stock setup and give you plenty of room to grow whatever direction you go."

Needless to say, they work great and support my alky and 22#'s with my 61. I don't plan on going any bigger on my turbo. They fit my goals well.

All of the mods I listed are on my car now. I put them there. I went with 009 for a ta 49 I had. I moved upto the gt6152 a few years back and never upgraded the injectors. This is the reason the the injector upgrade. I know 60's would be great but will I have a problem if I run 72 or 83lb with this turbo. I paln on a larger turbo in the future but date is unknown.

Can't go wrong with the larger injectors- but you'll also need a modded ECM (low Z drivers). Remember that it's not only fuel quantity, but octane.....
on a street car, the 60s and alky are an almost unbeatable combination..

When you go biggger, plan your upgrades again...it's a never-ending game:eek:

There are high z 79's out there which require no driver modification. Have not seen much feedback on them yet.

The 60's are the way to go IMO. Perfect idle, better than the stock injectors. You can expect plenty of mods with those without maxing out duty cycle.

Peeps in the low 10's with'em. Affordable.

Injectors are rated for Horsepower.

So how much boost and timing you running with what you have now? :confused:

Do you race the car at all? If so what boost and timing? :confused:

If you are driving around with pump gas even 100 octane you will never reach the limits of the injectors you have now, even with a 70 p-trim upgrade. :p

Alky. kits would also help extend the use of those injectors.

Depends on the HP goal and how you use the car or will use it.

60's would be a final upgrade for any stock head cam. car one would think.

And as mentioned modded ECM's needed for the real big injectors, although there are some hi-Z ones coming out in larger sizes.

If you don't like those 009 injectors, as some don't, then an upgrade for the 60's would probably meet most long term goals.

What weight and mph do you plan on? I dont run anything smaller than 83lb/hr on my engines anymore.

I believe stock timing but I need to check my chip and 25lbs of boost. Full weight car. I only plan on 10's with this car. If you guys think 60 are good for low 10's I will go with those. I currently run an alky control setup, that is the only reason I can run 25lbs of boost on pump gas. The 009 feel great but at 25lbs of boost I am affraid to hold it the whole length of the 1/4 mile on the 009's.

With that goal, go bigger than 60s. Before you do that, though, get out a pencil and calculate the cost of building a car for the low 10s....I think you'll find that the injector sizing will be the least of your challenges...

I believe stock timing but I need to check my chip and 25lbs of boost. Full weight car. I only plan on 10's with this car. If you guys think 60 are good for low 10's I will go with those. I currently run an alky control setup, that is the only reason I can run 25lbs of boost on pump gas. The 009 feel great but at 25lbs of boost I am affraid to hold it the whole length of the 1/4 mile on the 009's.

If its holding on the 3rd shift it wont be a problem later unless your pump cant keep up. The DC is higher at peak torque. Ive gone 124mph with alky and 6 42's.

If you plan on 10's, regardless of low or high, the 60's are plenty with alky since you can go twin nozzle to add more room for the injectors.

And that Walbro is probably going to be a bigger issue than anything and there are other fuel pumps out there that will give you the volume needed for 9's so go 60's and boost away.

I love the 60's. They idle and drive well, and go well into the 10's alone.

I've tried the high z 79's and I like those too. But with enough pump, and alky, 60's will take you pretty far.

I'm one of those that do not like the 42's. And if I upgrade injectors from a stocker to a car that does not exceed the potential of the 60's, that's what I'll use.

yeah your pump will be the next issue. my fast showed 98% percent duty cycle on my 60's while on the dyno in dallas. i ran out found some 83's and bought them and fast showed 90% duty cycle on them. During my build I bought Reds double pumper and now I have all the fuel I could ask for

bison what was the injector dc at 124mph with those 009's and alky?

Not exactly sure. Im sure they were just about static though. I had the fp around 48psi baseline also. So actually had 45-46 lb/hr for each injector. That was back in 99. The alky was supplying a lot of the fuel needed. I also had a volt booster.

Keep in mind the Denso 280 and Bosch 044 are much stronger pumps than the Walbro with the 044 barely falling off at high pressures. ;)