What are the best street tires for GNs

Big Kahuna

I'm new to this game -- so please bear with me.

I just bought a 34K mile 86 T-Top from a guy by the name of EJ Howe in Conroe, Texas. Someone by the name of Puddin did some tweaking (see the Drag race forum -- maybe you can help me there too) and the car shift hard from first to second.

http://www.thecybermuseum.com/86grandnational.htm

It came with some no-name tires and the car gets out of shape on the first to second shift when getting on it on a dry road -- and is down right dangerous to drive even easy in the rain.

I have some Centerlines with MT Street ETs on it right now because I took it to the track last night (disappointed!)

gn3404s.jpg

I need to get some decent street tires for the car. I'l most likely not put 5,000 miles a year on the car - but I want to be ready to make Mustangs sick if required. I'll use the Street ETs when I visit the track (my brother has an 87 so there will be some grudge racing).

So what are the best tires (make, model and size) that y'all have found work on the rear of these cars?

Thanx for the help.

BK

gn3404k.jpg

B.F Goodwrench Drag Radial 275/50 R15
By the way tell me you beat the mustang you were racing in the picture.
:D

Street tires wise you will have problems in the rain with most of them. I run nittos drag radials 275/60/r15 and love them. They have pulled a 1.73 60 ft and are great in the rain so far. The major downside is how fast the tread has worn, but i have been to the track 5 times on them averaging 4 runs per night with big burnouts.

street tires

I,too am interested a a good set of street tires--I don't race the car. On an earlier post someone mentioned Futura tires at Pep Boys did a decent job for a daily driven street car. Tommy

The street ETs will work for now to drive the 80 miles to the track, run the car, and drive back -- and I'll consider the Nitto and new MTs when it comes time to replace them.

However, right now I'm looking for good street tires to put on the stock rims for around town, that will work in the rain and not put my car out of shape when it shifts from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration on dry pavement. My rear street tires right now must be too hard as there is no way I can safely get on the car on dry pavement. As soon as it bangs into second (if I'm on it) the car wants to break loose. I have a brand new Eaton Posi and the car won't do that with the Street ETs. It is a tire issue for sure.

Who has a 12 second (I'm 13 -- but working on it) streetable GN with stock rims -- and what street tire (not street slick) are you finding works for you? I need for them to fit a stock (not tubbed or flared wheel openings) GN's stock rims.

Thanx

I ran a 235/60-15 with good success for about a year and a half.
I cut low 1.7's at the track and they worked pretty well on the street. At the time the car was running 12.6@105-106mph.
I've been running ET Streets for the last year, on the street and at the track. I'll be going to a Hoosier QTP in the next few months. I drive probably less than 5k/year and make about a dozen trips to the track in an average year.
S.

I run the BF Goodrich Radial T/A 275/50/15's on the rear with stock wheels on the street,they will work just fine on the street.They'll look to big, but just slightly rub on the right side when turning sharply.They really fill out the rear of the car also.They don't hook to good if you build alot of boost before taking off but hook better than most "pure street tires".I use the same tire on the front but in a 235/60/15.Then you have the white letter or black wall debate:rolleyes:

Nitto's all the way,they have more tread ,handle as good as any that I have had on my car,and hook and last longer than BFG's

I thought BF Goodrich recently stopped making the Radial T/As.

I have never heard of Nittos. I guess I need to log onto tire rack.

I have the stock rear suspension -- and not air bags. Are 255s as wide I can go without rubbing at all? I might have someone in the back seat once or twice a year and don't want to deal with rubbing. Do 255s come in 55 or 60 (50 is just a little too Bling Bling for me) and would that be too tall?

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I was at Discount Tires today and they can get the Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. The May 04 Hot Rod Magazine tested them against the MT Slicks and they performed better in the 60'. Now these are the ones to run! Check them out at DT on line or at the local stores! Gene

I've been waiting to see these, they sound like they just might be the hot ticket....

Gene,

How's the daughter car comming along?

:cool:

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I was at Discount Tires today and they can get the Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. The May 04 Hot Rod Magazine tested them against the MT Slicks and they performed better in the 60'.
Do the M/T DR's require tubes?

no! never use tubes in a radial tire. the m/t radial et streets will rock but as compound gets softer they will wear away even faster than the bf drags. the nittos are still gonna be the best street tire for the money.

I LIKE BF Goodrich...... JUST THEY WORK VERRY GOOD ON THE STREET TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! BUT WHEN IT COMES TO TIRES YOU NEVER KNOW.....................:D

I have just changed the tires on my GN to Remington Performance GT's on the back in 255/60-15 and on the front in 235/60-15. Both are mounted on the original wheels. I have a good amount of mods and I ran 95mph in the eighth mile at 7.99 with the 215/65-15 Eagle GT's. My 60 foot time was 2.01...Traction sucked! I have not been to the track yet, but traction seems to be greatly improved, but just to a point. You will never get street tires to hook while leaving under boost woth a stall converter! I have a PTE 52 with a 2800 converter with a host of other mods. After putting the tires on, I attempted to leave the line on a deserted stretch of road with 2 to 3 lbs of boost. I got all silly and spun for about 75 yards! The only reason that it stopped was I let off the throttle! Sure was fun though! The bottom line is that the slightly larger tire and a not to awful hard compound did improve the lack of traction, especially on the 1 to 2 shift, but, under full power, still leaves alot lacking in the traction department.Also, the combination of the sizes looked way better than the oem size....

I have Dunlop GT Qualifiers 265/50/15 on my high 12 sec GN. They are great in the rain, on the highway and get good traction on the street. I have not raced with them yet.

Scott

I run cheapy futuras 255/60/15s on the stock rims and they do alright. My cars mostly stock and is somewhere in the 13s. They do spin if you really get on it, but much less than the 215s I took off of it. They do very well in the rain and do not rub at all. They seem to wear well too.

I ran the Futura 295/50/15s on my V8 S10

They worked really well for $57 each. Good in the rain, good traction dry, lasted well too. Not on par with BFGs, Nittos, or ET Streets, but hey, whaddaya want fer 57 bucks? :D :cool:

Hey Guys,

I have a set of pretty worn out BFG Drag radials in the back and it's pooring rain out here...I have a 35 mile trip back home mostly on the Hwy....Am I safe...Should I brake sooner than normal??

What have been some of you guys' experiences?? I've heard some horror stories....

T