What are perma dry plus gaskets

corymc

what are the perks of perma dry plus gaskets made by felpro. and what are they. are they worth getting of should i just get basic cork?

I just purchased a Perma-dry pan gasket for 109 engine. The gasket is made out of plastic with a silicone bead embedded in it. Looks real nice. BUT..............It does NOT fit the block or pan. It is made for a FWD engine, NOT the 109 (stock GN) block. Maybe it was mis-boxed, though. The Perma-dry gasket was $28. Aftermarket cork gaskets are available from the vendors or they are also available from ROL and Detroit brand gaskets. The part number for the ROL is the same as Fel-Pro blue rubber one. I prefere cork with a light film of Ultra-Black on both sides. Evenly torque the pan down a little at a time to help prevent squeeze-out/tear-out.

perma dry

:D I used them on my valve covers. You will have to trim some of the extra metal with tin snips to get them to fit. Not a big deal! Worked great! They tighten up so they can not be overtightened. Leak free install:D

i have aftermarket ta valve covers but that should cause no fitment issues right

I put them on my buddy's 87 GN (stock valve covers). No trimming necessary. Just lay them on the heads, bring the valve covers over the top, and run the bolts in.

The proper orientation is stamped on the gaskets. They are to be installed dry, no exceptions. Proper torque is also stated. They do have torque limiters. FWIW, Strezo recommended them to me. Really nice gaskets if you ask me.

strike

I had to trim the corners to get them in my stock valve covers. Small price to pay for guaranteed no leak!

bob

I earlier had the perma-dry, but they needed some metal trimming for stock VC's. My last two sets were "cheap" cork ones, w/ some silicone sealer & no leaks. Last cork set replaced just for insurance--rather than re-use.

Beauty of Perma-Drys is reusability.