Went to a car show....

TWISTER

The wife decided to leave me at home with the kids on Sat. (2 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl). So instead of watching kid shows and eating nuggets and fries w/ juice I cleaned up the GN and loaded them in the back and headed to a car show. I only go to about one or two a year. Just too many idiots. I got there about 3 hours after it opened and had to park i the grassy field. My car is no trailer queen but it still can hold its own at a show. To get the good parking spots on the pavement you have to be there the nite before or very early in the morning. Most cars in these slots are street rods and customs. After pushing a double stroller through the grassy fields looking at cars I needed a break and decided to check out the pavement parked queens. After looking at a few fine examples. One of which is an early chevy panel delivery w a GN drivetrain I spot the guy w the mustang..... You know which one he is...It was a 2006 or so GT w Cobra wheeels on it and that was it. Had to keep polishing that grey paint to make it shine at the show. If I had to guess this car could be bought for $15k and used a s a daily driver and nobody would give a crap about it, but this guy thought it deserved the best care he could offer and had to wedge it in with the $50k street rods that came in trailers. Just makes me chuckle I guess. Ive heard it here before about cars at car shows that are still in the new car lots down the street and they were there also. The new Camaro is old news. Dont buy one and call it a show car please. If you must at the very least wash the brake dust off the wheels and dust it off or something. Thanks for reading my little rant and now I dont need to read this at the top of the page all the time.

Hello TWISTER it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

We have one of those mustang guys around here. He has the Roush mustang and he parked next to me at a show and was telling the kids that a supercharger was better than a turbo because he could create boost faster. After listening to him say this a thousand times I had enough. I asked him how much boost he could get and how much hp he stole from the engine to get it. He then got dumber. After he said something stupid I called his bluff in front of the five or six teenagers he was pukin up his bs to and said I would run him. He declined and I bit harder by saying his supercharged v8 didn't want and turbo'd v6. I was in a win win situation. He had a v8 and a big mouth and more to prove racing a little v6 that was 23 years old at the time.

I hate car shows anymore. The judging or voting is bias to which car club or buddies system. I prefer the cruise in's. I don't care if I win anything but when a PT Cruiser gets an award over a 63 chevy II convertible I get pissed. Seriously a friggin PT cruiser! It didn't even have a sound system or anything special. It had a tv under the hatch and seat covers. The nova was not only old but looked great. That was the same show as mustang mouth by the way.

Funny you guys mention this... I was just chatting with a friend of mine today and complaining about this very same thing...

I'm really not sure why people bring new cars to car shows...:confused:

Similar to the idiot in the mustang, I came up on a new SS Camaro with dealer tags still on it while in traffic on my way to a big show. I opened my exhaust and blipped the throttle as a little invitation as we were coasting to the red light. I was open for both of us. He stayed a car length behind me... After I got to the show and parked, I found his car there for the "show"--- idiot...:rolleyes:

I also see lots of newer corvettes at shows these days as well. And I concur about the pt cruisers... WTF is up with them? I used to go to a cruise night in San Diego and those stupid little cars would swarm the area and hog up a whole block!

I think, however, my favorites are Ferrari guys... They always have to have the matching jacket or hat... I still fail to understand how they're the only ones that can't see what D-bags they are...:p

Oh, I agree with you guys on the new car thing. I don't even give them a second look at car shows. It means a lot more to me to see a super clean car that is over 20 years old because that proves the owner cared enough to keep it up. If you can't keep a new car clean going from the dealership to the show, you've got some problems. :)

I do get nervous when people are around my car. One guy was pointing out on my car, with a ball point pen, where his own Regal had cracking B-pillars. I didn't say anything but I was inside. :) Another guy was wallking around with his ballot in a clip board with a metal top for hanging it up. He was letting that damn thing get a little too close to the cars he was looking at, including mine.

Its also the only time I would like to SMACK idiots in the back of the head for leaning on the header panel up front. I dont stay around my car anymore for this reason. Like I said before just too many idiots at car shows. I remember when it was fun years ago....Not anymore I guess.. Maybe I am just too uptight about things but when I loo at other car and people are leaning on them and digging under the hood like a backyard mechanic with no fender covers I just get a little pissed. The mustang owners are still my all time favorite. My back window reads" MUSTANG...ITS WHATS FOR DINNER"...Gets a little attention...hahaha.

We have one of those mustang guys around here. He has the Roush mustang and he parked next to me at a show and was telling the kids that a supercharger was better than a turbo because he could create boost faster. After listening to him say this a thousand times I had enough. I asked him how much boost he could get and how much hp he stole from the engine to get it. He then got dumber. After he said something stupid I called his bluff in front of the five or six teenagers he was pukin up his bs to and said I would run him. He declined and I bit harder by saying his supercharged v8 didn't want and turbo'd v6. I was in a win win situation. He had a v8 and a big mouth and more to prove racing a little v6 that was 23 years old at the time.

I hate car shows anymore. The judging or voting is bias to which car club or buddies system. I prefer the cruise in's. I don't care if I win anything but when a PT Cruiser gets an award over a 63 chevy II convertible I get pissed. Seriously a friggin PT cruiser! It didn't even have a sound system or anything special. It had a tv under the hatch and seat covers. The nova was not only old but looked great. That was the same show as mustang mouth by the way.

Does that PT Cruiser have flames on the side???? If so...I have had that same one get an award over my GN also!!!!LOL

While on the "idiots at car shows" topic, last weekend I had a guy ask me (while staring at my engine), "Is that the standard configuration?" Some people don't have a clue what they're looking at. I felt like asking him if he goes to the dollar store asking prices. Tim

Funny you guys mention this... I was just chatting with a friend of mine today and complaining about this very same thing...

I'm really not sure why people bring new cars to car shows...:confused:

Similar to the idiot in the mustang, I came up on a new SS Camaro with dealer tags still on it while in traffic on my way to a big show. I opened my exhaust and blipped the throttle as a little invitation as we were coasting to the red light. I was open for both of us. He stayed a car length behind me... After I got to the show and parked, I found his car there for the "show"--- idiot...:rolleyes:

I also see lots of newer corvettes at shows these days as well. And I concur about the pt cruisers... WTF is up with them? I used to go to a cruise night in San Diego and those stupid little cars would swarm the area and hog up a whole block!

I think, however, my favorites are Ferrari guys... They always have to have the matching jacket or hat... I still fail to understand how they're the only ones that can't see what D-bags they are...:p

Yeah I've seen a few GN guys with the matching shirt, hat, etc... I mean they own the car already do they really need to go all out... kinda tacky..

I really dot like new cars at car show unless the new cars are parked away from the classic cars and are there because a new car dealership is the sponsor.

I will be on the Power Tour in less than a month and I imagine I will see plenty on brand new cars.

Yes as a matter of fact the PT Cruiser had flames.

My wife just brought up a great idea. We should take the new Regal Turbo to the car shows. When the PT Cruiser won the award I yelled out that next year we will bring our 2008 4 Runner. They didn't care for my humor. I would rather see someone bring a 1984 Honda Civic in good condition than a 2006 Mustang.

What is more annoying than the new cars is when you are at a show and a group from a car club stops right in front of your car sharing their other club members show registration numbers for their voting ballots. When a club holds a show and only gives awards to members of their club burns my @$$ more than a 3 foot flame too.

I only go to shows when the money is going to a good cause. That is why I prefer cruise in's.

We have a great cruise in at a place called Sud's in Greenwood Indiana. There is usually 200 cars there every Saturday night in the summer. Mrs Fastnasty goes there a lot too. It's a great time.

I will be on the Power Tour in less than a month and I imagine I will see plenty on brand new cars.

You got me. We are those people this year. As lame as we will look, it'll be nice to not take a single damn tool or spare part with us. This b!tch is under warranty! Kinda hard to steal a 2010 also.

I've had to judge the 2000-newer stock class at our local show before. Whole row of virtually new, unmodified vehicles. How the hell do you decide? I picked the cleanest ones. The guy with the 04 mustang GT who was feverishly sweating his ass off cleaning it obviously cares more than the owner of the dirty Z06. Makes for some interesting facial expressions at award time too.

Do you wonder what the 60's car guys think of our 80's junk? And the 30's street rod guys, what do they think of muscle cars? Oh wait, most 30's cars are just assembled kit cars. And more and more people are buying their dreams done anyway. Is a 2010 era kit car (or any car that somebody paid someone else to put together) any better than a 2010 model new car? Only real difference is that it's hard to tell who built the old car. A 2010 challenger that looks like a 1970 is no different than a 2010 shelby kit car that looks like an old cobra. Especially when they go ahead and modernize the whole powertrain. But they wouldn't be caught dead in a "new" car on the tour :rolleyes:

Just sayin'... :tongue:

If someone puts a kit car together, at least they did the work for the car. That is different than Ford or Chevy employees doing it 3 weeks ago. If a new car is customized that is ok but when you still have the dealer tags still on it is a different story. If someone goes out and buys a new Camero and drives it to a show the next week with nothing done to it what is the difference than me going to the dealership and looking at it? I just don't get it! Everyone has their own opinion and that is mine. I do agree I sometimes feel bad pulling up in a 87 when there are cars that are 30 years older there. But the GN isn't still for sale on the the dealer floor. I just bought the new Regal and wouldn't take it to a show.

Do you wonder what the 60's car guys think of our 80's junk? And the 30's street rod guys, what do they think of muscle cars?

Speaking of our 80's junk...

I rolled into a big cruise night where some of my buddies were hanging out in their Chevelles... I had "slow grey" my t-type... Pretty stock appearing... When I was trying to pull in for some parking I heard a woman talking to her husband asking why in the world someone would bring some old regal to a car show...:rolleyes::mad::p

Later, on the way home got challenged by some old orange Mopar with shiny stuff sticking out of the hood and I had to let them learn about old regals the hard way.;)

I do get why people bring new cars to the shows. I mean, they are really what many consider the most desirable models of the car to date. People have it in their mind that, "hey, I have the Camaro everyone has been wanting for years so I may as well show it off." Admittedly, I was really impressed by a brand new Corvette ZR1 at the last show I was at. There is no dealership around here that would have anything like that.

I just don't think new cars should be allowed in "stock classes." It means a lot more to me to see a clean 98 Cobra than a factory clean 2011 5.0. It just doesn't mean much to see a new car because you know they just took a Swiffer cloth to the dash and brought her out while I was in the hot garage for a few hours.

I agree it's interesting to see some of the newer cars sometimes... I, of course, prefer some of the older stuff but do appreciate a well preserved car- even if it's a mustang... :biggrin: I went to one show "mustang oriented" for that weekend and saw an 80's stang- don't remember the model or year, just remember that the original window sticker and plastics were still affixed to the car. This this was still brand new... Pretty cool to see, not sure why anyone would buy a new car (especially a mustang) and just store it...

I suppose if people are going to bring something newer to a show, they should bring something that people aren't likely to see... Like a Ford GT, Lambo, etc...

That being said, I don't enter the shows as I've seen how they're biased toward the sponsors... Inevitably, PT Cruisers...:eek:

Here's my pet peave at car shows.
EXAMPLE: My son and I go to a car show last week. There's a nice 1996 TT Supra. My son really likes the cars so I give it a good once over. The engine looks like a nightmare to work on and I can't even see the turbos. So I ask the owner to show me where the turbos are hidden at. He walks over to the car and starts looking around under the hood, pauses a few seconds and kinda half ass points to one side of the engine and says "there's one under there and one under there":rolleyes: as he points to the other side of the engine.
I ask him how much boost the car makes. He answers. "it makes 340hp":confused: So I reply. "No, boost. how much does it make?'' I don't really know he says. So know I'm thinking "whatever":rolleyes:

I ask him what a real world price is on the car as my son really likes them. He tells me 30-40K:eek:
If he paid 30-40 he got screwed. But he probably did. After all he doesn't even know the difference between boost and HP:rolleyes:

Of course my son has to break out the droid and look on CL and finds two TT for $2x,xxx.

New cars are fun to look at but i agree they should be separate from the older vehicles. Same bs everywhere. Car clubs will show preference to their members at shows regardless of what other vehicles are present. We have always had issues at one big show ( on a friday night once a year in June gets 700-1k cars/). They never would let you in with a TR b/c its not 25 years old but they will let a brand new Mustang in. Nonsense! We do have a lot of popular cruises in the area, one on Tuesday night every week from may to october that gets about 700-800 cars. Also you can cruise 7 days a week in Cleveland and find shows on Saturday with 300-500 at multiple locations. Im sure old school muscle car guys thinks TRs are nothing and mostly people think others are junk b/c they are ignorant and know nothing about the cars. ive seen plenty of big block chevys and mopars and fords fall victim to bone stock looking TRs but what can you do. Love what you own and try not to sock someone in the face when they tell you "your monte carlo ss wannabe should have been built with a 305 :mad:"

Two of my favorite experiences have been at local cruise in's. Caught a guy leaning on the sideview mirror of my 78 Formula. Went up politely as I could and asked him not to lean on my car. He got mad at me for saying something!!! Good for him though, he decided to walk. Another instance, I was sitting behind my Trans Am and the guy I parked beside was spitting chew on the parking lot between his car and mine. I went up and told him that is what spit cups are for. He replied that he wasn't spitting on my car, so whats the problem. Maybe he didn't like my T/A beside his 30something Ford, but have some respect. I didn't want to walk through that and I'm sure no one else wanted to either, let alone splashing it on the cars. I don't attend either of these cruises anymore. Don't like going where people can't respect you and the cars.

I'll try to make it down there soon but I am getting ready start my weekends. I sent you a pm but I hadn't looked at my shift calendar. It will be after the tour. Which you should go and hang out!!!;)