Weird damage to my car found 3 months later. How to fix?

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
On Feb 27th I was out driving my TR and getting it ready for a show the following day. Took a pic of it at a restaurant. Sat outside to eat and kept an eye on it. Left it alone for about 10 minutes to go next door. Drove it 2 miles home and pulled nose first in garage(I usually back it in) since Ill be going to the show the next day. Got up early and went to start it and the fuel pump wouldn't come on. Decided to skip the show and fool with it later. Pulled it out this past weekend and noticed this damage to the header panel. It must have happened when I left it. I called my buddy who owns the restaurant, but there is no video since 3 months has passed. If only I had seen it sooner!:mad:

Anyway, how would you fix? I know getting a factory header and repainting is ideal, but since it is fiberglass and more decorative damage than structural would you cut that piece off a beat up panel and patch it or what?

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_175313778_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160227_175313778_HDR.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_20160528_155922295_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160528_155922295_HDR.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 356
Sorry about your damage! Im not sure about fixing that piece or no? However, those wheels, that stance, the major meats all tucked under, and the smoothed bumpers make that one more fine ass ride there! Your car is perfect! Good luck with the repairs!!! Awesome car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the pic, it's the vertical part next to the dr side lite bezel??
If so, I have one that's whacked in the exact same place, only on the pass side.
I'd fix that 1..
If you want it, I can cut mine up, and send you the piece. I have one for replacement, so I'll not do a repair.
LMK...{ I have a new Sawsall, I need to try out!}:D
706-342-3152 H/S
770-265-5144 C.
Cell is best, or a text is OK.

Rob the headers on our cars are actually SMC (sheet molded composite) and IMHO it's tougher to repair than regular fiberglass. With the cost of the proper materials to repair it plus your time you may have as much in it as replacing it.
Not all repair materials are as good as they claim them to be either and sometimes after a few months of temperature cycles the repair area may start to show the borders of the repair (shrink).

Get familiar with SMC repair before you decide......this video shows how regular resin sometimes will not adhere to SMC.

Sorry about your damage! Im not sure about fixing that piece or no? However, those wheels, that stance, the major meats all tucked under, and the smoothed bumpers make that one more fine ass ride there! Your car is perfect! Good luck with the repairs!!! Awesome car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Heath Elmer built it so I can't take the credit, but I have made it meaner with the bigger meats and some other stuff.

From the pic, it's the vertical part next to the dr side lite bezel??
If so, I have one that's whacked in the exact same place, only on the pass side.
I'd fix that 1..
If you want it, I can cut mine up, and send you the piece. I have one for replacement, so I'll not do a repair.
LMK...{ I have a new Sawsall, I need to try out!}:D
706-342-3152 H/S
770-265-5144 C.
Cell is best, or a text is OK.

Thanks Chuck. I'll call you!

Rob the headers on our cars are actually SMC (sheet molded composite) and IMHO it's tougher to repair than regular fiberglass. With the cost of the proper materials to repair it plus your time you may have as much in it as replacing it.
Not all repair materials are as good as they claim them to be either and sometimes after a few months of temperature cycles the repair area may start to show the borders of the repair (shrink).

Get familiar with SMC repair before you decide......this video shows how regular resin sometimes will not adhere to SMC.

I knew it was SMC. I read up on it and it was described as more of a 'process' than the material and ultimately the headers are fiberglass.

Hell, I don't know what to think now!:eek:

I would piece it in also. When I didn't know better I bought my car with a cracked header, bought a parts regal and tossed my GN one. Dumb, it was just broken around the headlight bezel. Easy fix looking back.

That was video was a lot of help.

Thanks! (y)

I would piece it in also. When I didn't know better I bought my car with a cracked header, bought a parts regal and tossed my GN one. Dumb, it was just broken around the headlight bezel. Easy fix looking back.

I think so too after watching Mike T's vid.

I just don't want to take the whole front end apart.

unrealx.jpg
Only way to fix it right would be to take it off the car I would think. Vandalism or do you think someone backed into it? Guess it doesn't matter at this point. I spent a lot of time on a former H.E. car last year, we need to talk.

Chuck's piece, some resin and some kitty hair fiberglass and you will be golden.

If you're afraid to do it yourself, get and experienced body guy to do it. We did a similar repair for Nick Micale and it came out great. We fixed the FG rear bumper on Mike Tomaszewski from TA Parts race wagon, too.

To get it right you will want the Header Panel off the car.

Last edited:
View attachment 281464 Only way to fix it right would be to take it off the car I would think. Vandalism or do you think someone backed into it? Guess it doesn't matter at this point. I spent a lot of time on a former H.E. car last year, we need to talk.

Chuck's piece, some resin and some kitty hair fiberglass and you will be golden.

If you're afraid to do it yourself, get and experienced body guy to do it. We did a similar repair for Nick Micale and it came out great. We fixed the FG rear bumper on Mike Tomaszewski from TA Parts race wagon, too.

To get it right you will want the Header Panel off the car.

Yeah, you both are right. It has to come off. I have a good body guy.

Its a pretty chunky piece so I'm thinking a trailer hitch tagged it.

Mark, pm if you want to chat and it looks like a good time to get that one piece air dam. (y)

Yeah, you both are right. It has to come off. I have a good body guy.

Its a pretty chunky piece so I'm thinking a trailer hitch tagged it.

Mark, pm if you want to chat and it looks like a good time to get that one piece air dam. (y)

BTW,

NICE car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW,

NICE car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I've only put 1,000 miles on it in 12 years. I love it so much I'm afraid it may get damaged and now it did. Fortunately it is minor. The past few years I've 'let go' of worrying and drive it more now.

That really sucks. Happens to the nicest of cars. My GN got door dinged on the first trip after Heath painted it.
My header panel was broken on the mount points and I JB Welded it back together many years ago. Surprisingly it has held up even after removing / reinstalling several times. I'm sure a good body guy can take care of you.
Heath still builds some amazing cars, but I do miss seeing yours and his other TR when he owned them. I sometimes regret not buying his TTA. I wish he would build another TR, but last I heard he already has a pile of his own projects ahead of it. If I had some money for Baer brakes, Simmons wheels, Recaro seats, guages, and clean up the engine bay, I'd be right there with my car.

That really sucks. Happens to the nicest of cars. My GN got door dinged on the first trip after Heath painted it.
My header panel was broken on the mount points and I JB Welded it back together many years ago. Surprisingly it has held up even after removing / reinstalling several times. I'm sure a good body guy can take care of you.
Heath still builds some amazing cars, but I do miss seeing yours and his other TR when he owned them. I sometimes regret not buying his TTA. I wish he would build another TR, but last I heard he already has a pile of his own projects ahead of it. If I had some money for Baer brakes, Simmons wheels, Recaro seats, guages, and clean up the engine bay, I'd be right there with my car.

I would almost rather have a door ding nowadays. Those dent repair dudes do great work nowadays.

I wish I had bought the real GNX Heath did. It was on ebay. I think it went for high $50's or low $60's.