Weight Vs. AWD

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
Since All Wheels Are Hooking Up On An Awd Vehilce Would Making It Lighter Help Or Hurt Its Performance. When A Two Wheel Rear Drive Vehicle Launches It Is The Rear Tires That Hook Up Or Dont Hook Up So Rear Suspension Determines A Lot.

But In Awd Vehicles All Wheels Are Getting Traction So Is It Still Benifical To Take Weight Out? Or Would The Extra Weight Actually Help In An Awd Vehicle So All Wheels Hook Up?

Are you having problems hooking in your AWD?? If you're just asking because you're getting one, then I would run it as fast as it will go and then play with stuff. Traction really is not an issue with those things, so Im sure weight could be removed easily... you're not gaining a whole lot unless you remove A LOT of weight.

IN my experience with turbo mitsubishis you always want to try to remove weight. This is beneficial beacuse AWD drivetrain is not very strong and can easily break. I had a Talon with over 700 hp but it didnt really do me much good because I had weak links in the drivetrain. Removing weight started to help but didnt resolve the problem completely.

Taking weight does help alot but it doesn't always solve broken driveline parts. It really depends on how hard you launch the car too. You can break axles on a 300hp car with the wrong launch but a 600hp car can launch all day if you do it right. The right suspension and tires factor in too, wheel hop is a killer.

Some of the speed of the Subaru STI has to be attributed to 4 wheels fighting for grip instead of 2. Imagine the car with 4 drag radials.

Hi,
The first thing that came to my mind was the Eagle Talon,and it's brother the Mitsu Eclipse. Mitsubishi was a forerunner in AWD performance. Some of their cars can run 9s in the quarter, but,as previously mentioned, their drivetrains seem pretty light duty. 9 inch slicks can get some outragous times, you just have to treat the beast with kid gloves. As with any race vehicle,it would be prudent to limit tire smoking 360s to a minimum.
I replaced the engine on a Mitsu 3000 VR4, with all that twin stuff, and of course, had to test drive it. Naturally,it ran around a corner like a raped ape,but for sheer seat of the pants straight line performance, I thought my TType had it nailed. This was back in the late 90s;my Buick was stock. So, the point is, complication does not necessarily make a car faster, at least not in singular categories.Since then, Mitsubishi has come out, in a fight with Subaru,with the Lancer EVO. I don't like their motors at 270+ HP. The old ones,at 210, blew up with regularity.I'll give them credit for one thing;after tossing a rod, they usually keep running, at least until the oil runs out!

I have a Subaru that will pick up the front tires. So AWD sucks IMO. I installed a Supra rear diff, and other HD parts to go to RWD, but never did that.

AWD cars do not get a good 60'. Add a turbo and manual tranny, and it gets harder.

I've seen plenty do 1.5s on regular street tires. Currently the best 60' I've seen on slicks was a 1.2 by John Shepherd: ::Shepracing.com - Home::
This is an astonishing 60 ft for AWD. It is not the norm from my obsevation. the AWD cars may be more consistent on the street vs. a non slicked high torque RWD car but when a RWD car is set up for drag racing its a no brainer. The RWD will reign. The quickest and fastest cars in the world are all RWD. Ive seen many Evo's and STI's run low 1.60's but not much more than that unless highly modded. I have an STI that i will be racing in the spring unless the owner is blowing smoke up my a$$, which seems to be quite a common occurence from him. I know his cars performance is high 11's at around 117mph. He bragged to me about his 1.65 60 ft. on that run. Obviously he has now clue about our TR's. I look to crush him by 2-3 bus lengths on a foot brake low boost launch. If he decides to race me at the strip he is really going to get whipped. He also pointed out that his car was 400 lbs lighter than mine. Im not to worried. Lol!:biggrin:

This is an astonishing 60 ft for AWD. It is not the norm from my obsevation. the AWD cars may be more consistent on the street vs. a non slicked high torque RWD car but when a RWD car is set up for drag racing its a no brainer. The RWD will reign. The quickest and fastest cars in the world are all RWD. Ive seen many Evo's and STI's run low 1.60's but not much more than that unless highly modded. I have an STI that i will be racing in the spring unless the owner is blowing smoke up my a$$, which seems to be quite a common occurence from him. I know his cars performance is high 11's at around 117mph. He bragged to me about his 1.65 60 ft. on that run. Obviously he has now clue about our TR's. I look to crush him by 2-3 bus lengths on a foot brake low boost launch. If he decides to race me at the strip he is really going to get whipped. He also pointed out that his car was 400 lbs lighter than mine. Im not to worried. Lol!:biggrin:

THAT IS TRUE. THEY DON'T SEEM TO HOOK ALL THAT WELL AT THE TRACK. THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF WHEEL HOP. MAYBE FOR AN AWD VEHICLE A LITTLE SPIN IS GOOD. AT THE TRACK THE RWD SEEMS TO RULE. ON THE STREET IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THAT WAY AS THE ROAD IS NOT PREPPED. GOOD INFO THO. THANX...

The RWD platform will always win at the track. AWD is better for the street but Shep has really pushed the envelope for what a 4cyl AWD can do and still stay in one piece. For awhile he was the quickest and fastest AWD car in the world until a Aussy GTR went faster afew monthes ago.

Racing AWD cars is still in its infancy as compared to RWD cars which were the only game in town since drag racing began..