Weight reduction or put that money in motor?

boostmeup

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Hey guys I have an 87gn 109 motor ported stock iron heads,Garret 60-1 turbo, esp front mount intercooler running on pump gas and bfg 275 drs consistent mid eleven sec car.. on 22 lbs of boost.... question is I'm thinking about maybe better slightly bigger modern turbo with alky ( would love to hit mid to high tens) with awesome street manners... or is it possible to keep current combo and lighten it up without chopping it up to get into the tens... its a daily driver street terror... had faster Gn but 4500 converters don't like street driving much lol..... thanks

I would definitley do the easy weight reduction items. Aluminum Bumper inserts and mounts, lightweight starter. AL brake drums if you dont have them already.

Squeeze what you can out of the motor first. Reduce weight in areas that is no cost, then if your not totally satisfied, start spending money on weight reduction.

How much weight without going to crazy can I save?.. would want to keep interior intact

The biggest items you can save weight on are the GN rims, aluminum bumper supports, starter and ditching the spare/jack.

I have weld drag stars on them... thats my only weight reduction equipment on my gn

Next is alky and matching combo chip. What boost do you run with pump gas?

22lbs with a reds (old school lol ) 93 chip 3 inch th downpipe

That is something I've been thinking about doing and should do. Motor has forged pistons and center billet main caps it should handle alky and more boost well.. thanks brother

I've been running this combo since 2002... had motor refreshed in 2009... bullet proof thank god

Thanks for the awesome link brother... holy crap that's very informative and helpfull big time brother

Alum bumper supports, Alum bumper brackets, Backseat chute pad, spare tire and jack were good for 100 lbs. when I weighted them out.

Remove the heavy front sway bar and replace it with a hollow bar. I took my stock bar off and never installed the hollow bar and dont have any problems driving around town, I do have the big ATR rear bar though.

Remove the heavy front sway bar and replace it with a hollow bar. I took my stock bar off and never installed the hollow bar and dont have any problems driving around town, I do have the big ATR rear bar though.
Hollow bar from which year car?