weather stripping

jess70502

So yesterday I'd thought I would finally change the weather stripping on my 87 hardtop. Santa brought me some nice Metro super soft seals. Replaced both door seals and not only does the window not close all the way but I cant close the door without some help. The car has only 26k on it so all doors panels and fenders are in excellent shape. So I dont think the door is misaligned. Everything is in correctly, I realize I have to adjust the window for it to seal. But has anyone ever dealt with the super soft weather stripping?

After replacing my seals from Steele co windows needed adjustment . As for doors they will shut hard for awhile.

I just replaced my weatherstripping with the Metro's I've had laying around for several years. I even went to the trouble of removing the channels and re-taping the back side of the channels, and making sure the channels were cleaned out thuroughly! My windows wouldn't close completely either. So before I tore into the doors to mess with window adjustments, I decided to try one other thing first. Since my car is tucked away for winter storage I didn't have to worry about driving it for quite some time yet.

With the doors open I closed the windows up completely. Then I dressed the seals real good with vinyl/rubber dressing (you know, the tire dressing type stuff, brand of your choice).

Then I closed the doors solidly, knowing that I wasn't going to mess with or open them for at least a couple weeks. Or if I did open them I didn't mess with the windows, left them up.

The closed windows sitting like that for those couple weeks (and the dressing) formed the rubber with slight window impressions. So now they close with no more effort than before the job.

I just replaced my weatherstripping with the Metro's I've had laying around for several years. I even went to the trouble of removing the channels and re-taping the back side of the channels, and making sure the channels were cleaned out thuroughly! My windows wouldn't close completely either. So before I tore into the doors to mess with window adjustments, I decided to try one other thing first. Since my car is tucked away for winter storage I didn't have to worry about driving it for quite some time yet.

With the doors open I closed the windows up completely. Then I dressed the seals real good with vinyl/rubber dressing (you know, the tire dressing type stuff, brand of your choice).

Then I closed the doors solidly, knowing that I wasn't going to mess with or open them for at least a couple weeks. Or if I did open them I didn't mess with the windows, left them up.

The closed windows sitting like that for those couple weeks (and the dressing) formed the rubber with slight window impressions. So now they close with no more effort than before the job.

Awesome and cheap fix to the issue. Good thing to know. Plan on changing weather stripping soon too.

I have a pair of those Metro soft seals that I bought about 5 yrs. ago just sitting in the box. The roof rail ones. I was wondering about the fit of those seals.
Let me know how you make out with those Metro seals, and if it's worth the hassle.

Mine fit just fine, Ya gotta get those channels cleaned out thoroughly though. I start in the upper rear corner and work outward from there.

Note: A DULL putty knife works wonders for poking the inner side of the seal up into it's groove.

Mine fit just fine, Ya gotta get those channels cleaned out thoroughly though. I start in the upper rear corner and work outward from there.

Note: A DULL putty knife works wonders for poking the inner side of the seal up into it's groove.
Never changed weatherstripping before, did you use silicone with the install? or just tuck them up into the grooves real good, or both.
Do those blow out clips around the seals just push back in place?
My factory ones are just starting to tear now.

Never changed weatherstripping before, did you use silicone with the install? or just tuck them up into the grooves real good, or both.

Here's some readings I found that may help. I plan to do mine soon so i've been reading up - http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/ttopseals.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/ttops
http://www.thirdgen.org/ttopleakfix

Didn't use anything during install. I did use weatherstrip adhesive for the ends that attach to the car body. The adhesive plus the included push pins work well for the ends.
No silicon during install, just tucked them up into their grooves, outside first for a half dozen inches or so, then the inside. Then moved further along (about 6 inches at a time).

The blowout clips are riveted to the channel. Don't try to remove them, just clean out their grooves as you do the rest of the channel.

BTW, I didn't use any adhesive, only on the ends. We'll see how it works out. They seem be be staying put just fine. The inner groove is the one that you have to make sure to get the strip up into fully! Thats where my dull putty knife came in handy!!! effortlessly pushed the weatherstrip up into that inner groove.

Dedicate plenty of time for this job! I set apart two weeks for the complete job (several hours a day). Cleaning the old stuff out is the hardest, most time consuming.

BTW, I didn't use any adhesive, only on the ends. We'll see how it works out. They seem be be staying put just fine. The inner groove is the one that you have to make sure to get the strip up into fully! Thats where my dull putty knife came in handy!!! effortlessly pushed the weatherstrip up into that inner groove.

Dedicate plenty of time for this job! I set apart two weeks for the complete job (several hours a day). Cleaning the old stuff out is the hardest, most time consuming.
Yes it is. That 25 yr old adhesive is ON THERE buddy. That is the hardest part of the job. Getting the new seals tucked in place is really easy, but getting the window to seal correctly afterwards is a different story. I'll have to try the rubber dressing method to see if that helps soften the seals enough to follow the contours of the window better.