we4 ?

bryant

so yall i was wondering how many we4 hard tops were produced in 87 ive been searching the web but no clue :mad:

You're at the right place. :cool:

We have no clue either. :p

I have a WE4 roller in hardtop and the one I bought new has an astroroof.

It's a start....

Noboby has the option breakouts for those kinds of things.

If I had to guess it would be 65% hardtops. :confused:

My We4 is a Ttop so that leaves 1545..jk I would guess somethin like 600-800 hardtop WE4s. Probably no way of knowing at this point. I wonder how many WE4s are even left to date.

thanks guys

does anyone know the break down of the vin and another ?? do yall have a factory tinted windsheild that may be a crazy question but my whole windsheild is a factory tinted glass :confused:

Is there an RPO code tag inside the trunk lid on this car in question?

If so that will cover the options including the WE4 code which should be present on the sticker.

Windshield tint codes is A01 for softray tinted glass.

A02 I think is tinted upper only.

Good info in above posting. My gut feeling is of the total WE4 produced more than 1/2 would be hardtops. Reason is the WE4 was produced by Buick as a light weight example to up the gas mileage...so Buick in turn could crank out more Grand Nationals which made them more profit.

Here is the quote from the Buick Production Information flyer dated 11-15-86 "The WE4 Turbo T package will enable you to merchandise a car that is similar in appearance and yet lighter in weight, than todays Grand National. This production in weight theotically makes the Turbo T faster than the Grand National and for a lower price." end of quote.

I have owned a total of 13 WE4 examples....of which 2 had T Tops. The rarest roof option for a WE4 would be the factory astroroof.

Again my opinion based on my experience with these cars.

No break down exists I am aware of on various options related to particular Turbo Regal models.

All anyone can do is speculate.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Good info in above posting. My gut feeling is of the total WE4 produced more than 1/2 would be hardtops. Reason is the WE4 was produced by Buick as a light weight example to up the gas mileage...so Buick in turn could crank out more Grand Nationals which made them more profit.

Here is the quote from the Buick Production Information flyer dated 11-15-86 "The WE4 Turbo T package will enable you to merchandise a car that is similar in appearance and yet lighter in weight, than todays Grand National. This production in weight theotically makes the Turbo T faster than the Grand National and for a lower price." end of quote.

I have owned a total of 13 WE4 examples....of which 2 had T Tops. The rarest roof option for a WE4 would be the factory astroroof.

Again my opinion based on my experience with these cars.

No break down exists I am aware of on various options related to particular Turbo Regal models.

All anyone can do is speculate.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Now Dennis that is weird. Being in MD & PA most of my life I have owned over 30 we-4's.
3 Hard tops, 1 moon roof, The others were all t-tops.
I have a Hi optioned hard top. A real low optioned hard top radio delete & 1 moon roof currently.
You get the hard tops I end up with T-tops.
I agree most are stripped down. So when I find a Hi optioned or really low optioned we-4 I hang on to them.

Now Dennis that is weird. Being in MD & PA most of my life I have owned over 30 we-4's.
3 Hard tops, 1 moon roof, The others were all t-tops.
I have a Hi optioned hard top. A real low optioned hard top radio delete & 1 moon roof currently.
You get the hard tops I end up with T-tops.
I agree most are stripped down. So when I find a Hi optioned or really low optioned we-4 I hang on to them.

This is why it is tough to pin down how many of a certain model were produced with Buick not keeping separate records on them. However, the orignal "game plan" from Buick was to make a light weight example in order to produce more loaded up GNs which is where the money is...known as profit.

You are smart by chasing down low optioned examples and high optioned examples....both versions would be in demand....Years ago we had a 1963 split window corvette and the console was never cutout for a radio. Hard to imagine someone buying a high end Corvette and not at least getting a low end radio.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

be seeing you soon.

so whats your example of a high or low optioned car ?

Low optioned would be crank windows, non tilt (this would be rare) no rear defogger, fixed antenna, no power seat, no body side moldings, radio am or radio delete, no power seat...member options add weight which is what Buick was making an attempt to discourage.

GM did other examples over the years the 1999-2000 frc corvettes is a prime example lights of the 3 models....(I owned 2 of these)

Pontiac did GT 37s based on the Lemans back I think in 1971 had the big motor but not the GTO appearance....today are quite rare.

Ford with the Mustang every 5.0 fox body racer cherishes the notchback models...over the hatchback....

just some examples that quickly come to mind outside of the Buick world.

Loaded option WE4s wold be ones with lots of options T Tops or astro roof power windows locks, power trunk, power seat etc....all adding more weight.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Look for the black tag under the drivers windshield wiper area.

That will have embossed codes on it and give you some info. too.

Post up what it says on it for codes.

I wonder what happened to the trunk sticker? :confused:

Mines pretty well loaded and still going to the boneyard next year. :(

Gonna take a few parts off it that aren't rusty however. ;)

I don't think too many WE4's had power seats.

Maybe Brian and Dennis can chime in on that option.

I didn't get floor mats with mine they weighed too much. :eek:

To answer some of the above questions...power seat is a weighty option and I would think even back when the WE4 was new buyers of that model would be seeking a car that was advertised as being lighter therefore faster than a Grand National otherwise since both were black they would perhaps buy the Grand National.

Look how heavy a power seat is today in cars some have heater elements in them and airbags.....going one step further the new electric cars wait til you gotta remove that 400 lb battery when it needs replacing!

Body side moldings....they can be a blessing or a curse. A blessing if its the factory GM one that is 100% stick on. A curse if its a dealer installed black one that has metal in it. That version is riveted to the car meaning although it remains straight all these years...it has placed holes in your car.

No trunk sticker....while that may not be an issue for a current owner, can become a major stumbling block at time of resale. Meaning it hurts resale value.

Regardless of how your WE4 is equipped....prime examples will bring better money than most other similar T-Types or Turbo-Ts. This is probably because total production is a well known fact...and its black. Black cars seem to have great appeal.

Keep in mind all WE4s came with grey interiors.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is another quirky thing on WE4s. Again based on the several mint original ones we have owned. Had one with 9,600 miles 12,100 miles, and 3 with under 28,000 miles on them.

All should have the T block style emblem on the front fender. It appears some have Regal emblems on the rear quarter panel and some do not.

Reminds me of the body bushing/cushion errors. Parts books show only a washer was used on the lower position #3, #4 and #7. Yet most Turbo cars 1984-1987 have #7 lower body bushing. According to the 44W books they shouldn't.

Now add 25 plus years to the mix, and you can see how difficult it can be to make a Turbo car 100% correct. Do you repaint it matching the terrible orange peal or do you make it smooth and reflective?

I still have all the original parts except the front springs, cat back exhaust, and radio delete plate.

My car was pretty stripped as well. Factory radio delete, no floor mats, no tilt, no cruise, no delay wipers, no power seat, no side mouldings, no power locks, but it does have power windows, rear defrost, and front license plate bracket which I think is weird. It only has the key chime, doesn't have the "lights on" chime-which has caused a dead batter a few times.

I'm assuming if you got the radio delete you automatically got a power antenna because my car has that too.