WE4 Value Help

Venus

I'm looking at possibly purchasing an 87 WE4 that is completely stock, I mean completely except the battery. The car is Very well documented and has all of its paperwork. Car still has the original paint and has no exterior damage, and the interior is like brand new (no joke). I'm not a newbie with these cars so I know what to look for and this car has it all and passes all of the eye tests. Guy who currently owns it is the 2nd owner. Car has 16,000 miles on it. Thing is the car has been sitting for the past 5 years, so all of the fluids will have to be changed, and more than likely have the powermaster rebuilt. It also needs bumper fillers because they are clouded over and it's underside was undercoated at the dealer and so was the engine bay, they even did the plastic inner fender liners :vomit: which will have to be removed to be cleaned. So it's kind of hard to say how much mechanical work and cost the car will need to get it going again. Anyone have an idea what is a fair price to pay for the car? Hagerty says it's average value is $15,400 and a Condition 2 car is at $23,900 and condition 1 is at $32,600. I've had a hard time trying to figure out what a car like this is worth considering not many of these cars are around and haven't been sold and the work the car will need to make it road worthy again. Yea I know only 1547 of them were made, but as we all know, rarity doesn't always mean something is worth more.

Thanks for any input,
B-

What is the asking price?

D

I'd prefer not to say. I'm just looking for opinions to try and determine if the asking price is fair or not. I give some numbers above that "kind of" give an idea of where to start.
Thanks

This might help you narrow down the pricing window. Per the 8/3/16 edition of Kirbans Inner Circle - "Even though the Price Guide has no separate listing for the 1987 WE4 Turbo Regals, in my opinion you can figure they are worth a few percentage points over what is shown for a regular 1987 Turbo-T and not as high as the Turbo-T Limited. It’s one of those models that is widely recognized among Turbo collectors even though the Old Cars Price Guide has no listing for them".

Based on what you've posted, (mileage, provenance, documentation, and condition) this is not an average car.
On the other hand, based upon the issues you've mentioned, (PM, fillers, fluids and undercoat mess) this is not a Condition 1 car either. I think you've already done the research and know the answer to your own question. I'm guessing low 20k car all day long.

That said, estimates and guesses are just that. It really depends on the market for the car. If the car is as nice as you claim, it shouldn't take much to make it into a Condition 1 car. So, say you're $25k into a potentially $32k car... Not too shabby.

I think that now that we're into the 30year old range the price ranges are finally starting to creep in a positive direction. Only downside, is that the car might be too nice to drive! :eek:

Yea I agree turbo, I kind of have an idea as to the value but just wanted some other opinions. Yes it definitely falls into the to nice to drive category but that won't stop me from driving it!

I'd think $17,500 and up would be suitable, as long as it is in your comfort zone. Painted fillers, fluid exchange and goofing with the brakes could cost someone $5k if you paid for it.

I'd think $17,500 and up would be suitable, as long as it is in your comfort zone. Painted fillers, fluid exchange and goofing with the brakes could cost someone $5k if you paid for it.

Yea I Agree. The car might be "worth" 25k but it's going to take $3-5k to fix everything to make it road worthy again and safe.

Think about it this way. What would it cost to buy any decent 16 k car. Don't care the make, model, year whatever. I have a 2004 Buick with 47k miles on it, maybe I could get 5 maybe 6 k for it. If you pay in the 20's for the above car you haven't hurt yourself

I'm looking at possibly purchasing an 87 WE4 that is completely stock, I mean completely except the battery. The car is Very well documented and has all of its paperwork. Car still has the original paint and has no exterior damage, and the interior is like brand new (no joke). I'm not a newbie with these cars so I know what to look for and this car has it all and passes all of the eye tests. Guy who currently owns it is the 2nd owner. Car has 16,000 miles on it. Thing is the car has been sitting for the past 5 years, so all of the fluids will have to be changed, and more than likely have the powermaster rebuilt. It also needs bumper fillers because they are clouded over and it's underside was undercoated at the dealer and so was the engine bay, they even did the plastic inner fender liners :vomit: which will have to be removed to be cleaned. So it's kind of hard to say how much mechanical work and cost the car will need to get it going again. Anyone have an idea what is a fair price to pay for the car? Hagerty says it's average value is $15,400 and a Condition 2 car is at $23,900 and condition 1 is at $32,600. I've had a hard time trying to figure out what a car like this is worth considering not many of these cars are around and haven't been sold and the work the car will need to make it road worthy again. Yea I know only 1547 of them were made, but as we all know, rarity doesn't always mean something is worth more.

Thanks for any input,
B-

State Farm insurance put a value of 29,500$$ on mine 24,000 miles and I would put the condition at a 1 on some of the car and a 2 on other parts.
It had a high end repaint and the only item really lacking was the headliner.
And this did not take into account 30k worth of stage engine, fuel system full billet trans etc.....
pretty much treated it like it was a 100% stoker as far as drivetrain value is concerned.

It sounds like you value the repairs needed at 3-5k and at that point you have a car worth 28-32k depending
on how well the factory paint looks which is always a crapshoot.

And the car is only worth 28-32 if somebody is willing to buy it.....There was one for sale on here a year ago
that had 15000ish miles 100% stock and the fellow wanted high 20's for it IIRC....I talked with him after my mishap
and we did not put a deal together since my insurance was covering my repairs. He pulled it from sale after driving the car a few times and decided to keep it and enjoy it for a while.

30K is strong money for a WE4 car, and unfortunatley the factory paint sucked on our cars.
I would not want to be in the car you are looking at for more than 15-18k,tops knowing that the car
likely needs a 6-10k repaint to look really nice.

Nice cars tho...I always liked the we4 interior color scheme better than the GN's,
put that together with a killer black paint job and you have a great looking car.

The limiteds seem to be sought after more than the WE4 cars, I guess The WE4 cars look
too much like a GN to be appreciated for what they are.

FBR

Thanks everyone for your opinions I really appreciate it. The car's factory paint surprisingly looks really good, probably because it hasn't been outside the last 5 years and it has always been garaged. Below is a picture of the car.

WE4.jpg

I thought the WE4's didn't have the lettering on the hood?

I maybe I'm confused.

D

I maybe I'm confused.

D
Mine had the 3.8 SFI turbo lettering on the hood bump, the T emblem on each fender and a 3.8 SFI turbo emblem and a Buick emblem on the trunk lid .

Nice Turbo Buick for sure.

My 2 cents: $15-18K depending on if it lives up to its billing. Sounds like it really isn't roadworthy at this point so you have an investment to make in both time & money before you can really enjoy it. After that you will probably have a unique car you can drive, maintain, shine (show?) and maybe get your money back or more if you decide to sell down the road.

B

Nice looking car......I like the white letter tire option, was the pin stripe a factory option?

RWLs are factory. The pin stripe is not, I first thought it was as it looks very similar to a factory one, but once I examined the paperwork, the car doesn't have the RPO for it and there was a receipt from the dealer for adding the pinstripe,undercoating, and the interior protectant. I will be taking the pinstripe off if I buy the car.

I maybe I'm confused.

D

Yes the WE4s had the hood badges. Badging for them was no different then any other 87 T.

Noticed this WE4 on ebay with 26k miles and in almost equal condition except this one looks like it's turn key, bidding is only up to 12,800 with 2 days left which seems low to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Regal...f35e4c49:g:fMwAAOSwQaJXQlNq&item=201651539017

Wait till the end of the auction. It will jump 5/6k on the last hour if they are real bidders. there are only two bidders and they may be shill bidding to get the price close to the reserve. The real bidder hasn't bid yet is my guess if he is out there.