WE-4 Value

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
So I have sold another GN and have started the search for another to fix up. I don't really make money but I enjoy the journey.
I can't believe what people are trying to get for some of the GNs these days. It's comical.
Anyway I happen to know of a 87 WE-4 for sale at a reasonable price.
It will need doors and paint to be perfect but it's a decent car with over 100k on the odometer. What would a high mileage WE4 be worth after paint? It has some tasteful performance mods.
Could it bring 15k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would need that for mine but it's turn key raceable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

GN's still get the press and for most people only a GN will do. I think you would have to find someone that car speaks to or that already knows these cars and is hunting one. Of course I think it would be worth it but I have a soft spot for WE4s.

GN's still get the press and for most people only a GN will do. I think you would have to find someone that car speaks to or that already knows these cars and is hunting one. Of course I think it would be worth it but I have a soft spot for WE4s.
I agree, if it doesn't have the GN badge it's just another old G body to most. I might have to pass and wait for another GN in need of help to pop up.
It's getting crazy though. People are trying to sell ratted out GNs for 15k. High mileage cars in good shape for over 20k. I'm sure they never actually sell at these prices. Maybe it's just the time of year. Seems like a few months ago there were nice GN ms selling in the low teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw a C-List ad where a guy is wanting 12 grand for an 87 turbo Regal. It looks pretty clean and correct but buyer beware. No where in the ad does he claim the car is a factory turbo car but on the other hand, no where does he say that it isn't. The vin engine code is not 7 and the SPID does not list LC2 so definitely not a factory turbo car.

Last edited:
I think that 15K is too high. You must realize that most car guys (except us here on this board) don't know what a WE4 is or don't really care. To them and everybody else, it's just another black '87 T-Type. About the value, it's like everything else…it's the demand that will make it valuable or not.
Speaking of WE4's, my son has one with a built motor, TH400 tranny and a few other mods, it runs low 11's and he paid less that the price you stated.

Good luck,

Claude.;)

Hi, I think it depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you are looking for a quick flip then most likely will not make much money. But if you had 2 comparable Black 87 GN and WE4 and the GN was $25K then I think the WE4 would be an easy 15K if not closer to the GN. Anyway some may value the WE4 car more down the road for it's limited production. I have a WE4 car in average shape. I am trying to get a better feel on the value of GN's, Turbo T's and WE4. These cars seem hard to value as they are only for sale by individuals it seem on this site. You look on Hemmings and all the cars are high dollar muscle car dealer showroom car. Anyway back to my We4 if it is worth under 10K then I will just keep it. Maybe another 10 years from now the value will shoot up. I also wonder when these cars start to get valued by being closer to stock than super modfied. Not sure that will ever happen but don't see too many EFI conversion on a 70 Hemi. Anyway if you find a good starter deal on the WE4 get it enjoy and the ride but I think it will go up in value. Ramble on.

I have a WE4 with 9k all original (paint, exhaust, tires ect.) and I believe when I sell it will most likely be sold to avid TR enthusiast who is specifically looking for one. Because that's who knows what a WE4 is. The average casual car-guy (for the most part) will seek out a GN or won't have appreciation/knowledge of WE4s. Basically (IMO) anything other than GN/GNX is a tough sell outside of the Turbo Regal community. Even more difficult if your asking Big Dollars

I had a personal experience with that. Tried to sell my clean WE4 with usual and professionally done mods. AND all factory parts included.

I'm sure if it was a GN, it would be sold.

I had a personal experience with that. Tried to sell my clean WE4 with usual and professionally done mods. AND all factory parts included.

I'm sure if it was a GN, it would be sold.

I know of a 16k mile WE4, car is completely stock and has all of it's paperwork and documentation and even still rides on it's original tires. The current owner bought it off of the original owner 20 some years ago. Car has not even been moved out of the garage for the last 7-8 years. I asked the owner how much he wanted for the car, he told me "somewhere in the low 30s" Price seems high to me. That is more like GN money in my opinion, I know the T-types and Turbo Ts just don't get the same love as the GNs but that's the way the market currently is. Given the Limiteds and the WE4s were very limited production, as most of us know in the collector car market, rarity doesn't always mean something is worth more.

^ Sadly it's true. (That may change in the future but for now we're stuck)
That and the fact that the cheap cars are what most people seem to be looking for. Why pay $15k when someone will post up a basket case for $10k or less... Some guys have the ability to make this work; some do not.

Well the "rarity" part applies to more then just the t-types and turbo Ts. It really applies to all collector cars. Notoriety plays a Huge role in value, probably one of the biggest influences on price.

Well the "rarity" part applies to more then just the t-types and turbo Ts. It really applies to all collector cars. Notoriety plays a Huge role in value, probably one of the biggest influences on price.

"Given the Limiteds and the WE4s were very limited production, as most of us know in the collector car market, rarity doesn't always mean something is worth more."

This is true and to prove it just look at first gen Camaros. In particular 1969. IIRC there were over 20,000 Z28's produced and less than 5,000 396/375 horse SS cars but the Z28 routinely brings much more than the SS.