RICHIE HIGH PSI

went to the track today, and the numbers seemed way off
EGT 1837
O2 FROM SCANMASTER=720
KNOCK=0
ONLY 24 PSI
BEST RUN WAS 12.01@111MPH
Last year same combo went 11.23@118

I have 50lbs inj., 62-1 turbo,ATR headers,9-11 converter,ported heads,hemco upper,front mt,28x11.50x15 et streets,1.67 60ft,.

I tried setting fp as high as 49 static.
what else can I do??
The only problem I can see with car is cross over pipe is leaking, and turbo flange to header flange is leaking, these are small leaks, can this be the problem?

Thanks
Richie

did you replace your valve springs? when i park my race car for the winter i always back off the rockers or have them replaced every spring.

Buy alcohol injection and be done with it. Don't forget the belt for me. Maybe you are running to much fuel pressure?

Valve springs will not cause a 1800º+ EGT. Better check your turbine blades to make sure they did not melt:eek:

You are waaaay lean

Fuel pump and fuel filter, along with the pump sock pop into my mind immediately.

I run ATR dual fuel pump set up. Fuel filter 2weeks old ac-delco, I wold assum it is getting fuel to the front as full throttle fuel psi is 79lbs.
I am Lost!

is that a street chip ?

sounds like it has a fuel curve for street chip which is not giving it enough fuel for that much boost.

who's chip and what octane is it for ?

Is your boost gauge correct? That would indicate 30psi of boost

Too much FP can lean you out also, since volume can decrease once the FP gets over a certain level.

What chip are you running? I would give your chip burner a call also.

Check the return line to the tank, if it is kinked or blocked the fuel cannot complete its circuit

Retarded timing can cause high EGT's, may be an ESC problem.

strip chip set for 110octane j.carter chip

Then I tried a reds 100 chip still high on egt.

Thanks for all the replies, keep them comming.

you can get high egt readings by being overly rich also (the fuel burns in the manifold and spikes the egt)

try turning your fuel pressure down a bit and see what happens to your egt

azgn, you mention that egts can go up from being rich b/c fuel in the manifolds are burning. a few times when i was playing around with 22psi of boost (100 octane of course), i had the fuel pressure way up (like 46-47psi, i usually run like 38), and my pass side manifold would be GLOWING red after a run. would this be from a lean condition, or rich??

prolly rich...if it got that hot lean, you would be picking up shiny pieces:)

Holy crap....1837 EGT is waayyy hot. I would be checking my turbine blades after seeing temps like that, just to make sure you didn't hurt something. I would also see about getting the exhaust leaks fixed. They can throw the ECM for a loop and make the car run like crap....learned that from experience unfortunately. As for the EGT, the richer my car runs, the lower the EGT. Some runs I've been lucky to get it to 1450...lol. Makes for crappy spool-up and no top-end power. You may also be causing the injectors to shut down with so much WOT fuel pressure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but have heard anything above about 70-75 psi that 50# injs have a tendency to go static (lock up).

Definitely get the exhaust leaks fixed though. That way you rule out them a cause of the problem.

azgn, i thought rich too, i just didn't have the balls to pull the fuel pressure at 22# boost. i brought the boost back down to like 17 and the fp back to normal. maybe next time

Hmmmmm
High fuel pressure, exhaust leak, high EGT's. sounds like fuel burning in the exhaust to me. Check the turbo exhaust side wheel and run it with less pressure. Not an expert, but it does make sense.

Originally posted by twizz
azgn, i thought rich too, i just didn't have the balls to pull the fuel pressure at 22# boost. i brought the boost back down to like 17 and the fp back to normal. maybe next time

Twizz IMO 100 octane is not enough for 22psi on a stock setup. I run nothing less than 110. This could be why you had to turn the FP. You will be on the fast track to a blown HG with only 100 in there. The only way to try it is with low timing, and a street chip does not have enough fueling, also a reason why you needed high FP

Originally posted by Slo86GN
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but have heard anything above about 70-75 psi that 50# injs have a tendency to go static (lock up).

Not really, They are talking about differential pressures that high (we can't really achieve differential pressures that high).

Remember, if you start with static pressure at say 45, and you add 25# of boost, yes your fuel pressure is 70psi, but the differential pressure across the injector is still anly about 45 because of manifold pressure on the other side of the injector.

:)