Water pump

Dreamcar86

I have heard people say that the n/a water pump is a better pump for our cars than the ones the factory installed. Is this true? I would like to get some expert opinions before I install something that was not designed for the turbo application.

There is no "turbo" water pump?:confused:

We use the stock pump on all our cars, even those running into the 9's. Doubt that you see hotter temps than we have here in the desert.:smile:

I second what Nick said....This is actually one thing you can buy at auto zone or napa and not have to worry about it being an OEM part......My 02......Tim

Assuming the stock setup then yes the stock pump works fine. Now if you have a 3 pass 2 row radiator then a high flow pump is recommended. A stock pump with FM and 2 row single pass radiator dual fans are not required but it does help keep your stuff under 180d on a hot day or hot wire the fan so high is just as flick away.

Ok, I have searched high and low and here is what I have come up with.
The three impeller pump is supposedly for non air cars whereas the 5 impeller is for air cars. Is this a joke or is it real?
From the feedback I am assuming the factory water pump is all that is needed. Thank you all for the input.

Attachments

• waterpumps.jpg
    waterpumps.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 298
i havent actally had my hands on a gn waterpump, but in my nova i had a stock pump and took the plate off. i installed one of the impeller discs to it. seemed to stay like 5* cooler then it did stock on a mild 400 engine. summit part # bra-3500-01
just a thought

Those are Nailhead waterpumps, not Turbo6/B350. I'm debating between the Airtex, the Flowcooler, and the Bosch pumps myself.

Those are Nailhead waterpumps, not Turbo6/B350. I'm debating between the Airtex, the Flowcooler, and the Bosch pumps myself.

Bingo! Thank you, I thought there was more to the story. Now I am remembering the write up. Have you used one of these?

The V6/B350 pumps? Nope, I haven't. Since I'm building a hybrid I'm considering the Flowcooler because of its noticed, by another hybrid owner, increased cooling capacity but from all accounts on even the more high performance G-bodies that such measures aren't needed if your radiator and fans are up to the job.

There is no "turbo" water pump?:confused:

We use the stock pump on all our cars, even those running into the 9's. Doubt that you see hotter temps than we have here in the desert.:smile:

You are correct, I will not see temps any higher than what you are seeing.:cool: Oh well, it's always nice to know if there is something better out there.

[QUOTE said:
The V6/B350 pumps? Nope, I haven't. Since I'm building a hybrid I'm considering the Flowcooler because of its noticed, by another hybrid owner, increased cooling capacity but from all accounts on even the more high performance G-bodies that such measures aren't needed if your radiator and fans are up to the job.
Today 05:18 PM

Point taken, I will just stick to the proven stocker.

You can take off a lot of metal off the mating surface to get the pump closer to the timing cover for better efficiency. Ive also run no gasket and loc-tite 518 anaerobic sealant. I didnt notice much difference in temps with any of these configurations. The radiator and fan combo is what makes the difference.

Just go electric water pump. I can cool the engine within 3 minutes not 3 hours, between a run at the track.:eek:

Just go electric water pump. I can cool the engine within 3 minutes not 3 hours, between a run at the track.:eek:

How is it connected? Do you have to remember to turn it on and off manually or does it have a thermostat that kicks it on and off?

I think that depends on how you wire it.

If you have a street car I'd recommend against an electric water pump. Most of them tend to have somewhat short lifetimes under constant use and I'm not sure what it requires to run one with the stock surpentine belt system. They have thier uses on track cars but I don't think they are quite reliable enought for a street car.

i have always wanted to go with a electic pump. i have read alot of good things about them over the years just havent goten that far with my car yet

Ive been using mine 3 years now with no problems, they are rated 2500 hours life. However they are not cheap and expect to pay over $400 for one, with a fitting for the heater outlet and lower fitting and hd motor option your at $500 now. For cooling the car will run 10 degrees cooler on average compared to a normal pump as they flow a constant 40 gph and draw 8 amps.

Draw backs are you have to play with pulley sizes and use a minvan tensioner and buy a lower pulley from RJC. Also i noticed at the end of a run the car really heats up over a normal pump at bit more. SInce the mechanical pump flows more at top rpm than the electric. But unless your under boost for minutes instead of seconds i would not worry about it. So yes you can use them on the street no problems at all.

ALso there is maybe 8-10 hp gain at the fylwheel at 6000 rpm. Mine is connected to the oil pressure light with a relay. ONe the oil pressure comes up it turns on. I have a bypass switch in the pits, and im not joking when i say minutes to cool down when you turn the fan on and pump at the same time::)