Water pump install...

Harvey Mushman

Hello everyone.

I did some searching and came up empty, forgive me if I missed something.

I am installing a new water pump on my T-Type and I am not sure which bolts require silicone, and whether the gasket needs a light coat of silicone or not. I never use silicone on any gaskets and so far it has worked for me so I am more concerned with the bolts and which if not all need silicone and should it be just on the threads or up and down the entire shaft of the bolt.

Thanks guys in advance!

Blue thread lock or permatex high temp thread sealant works well. I also used a very light coating of blue ultra RTV around the WP gasket and have no leaks anywhere on my front cover or water pump.

You only need sealant on the long bolts. The small ones and that goofy studded (for not reason)bolt don't go into the water jacket.

If you don't like using RTV, soak the gasket in water for a little while so it can swell a little.

It's a pretty straightforward job. The only trick is making sure the pulley flange is in the right place (most of the time it's not).

I believe when I replaced my water pump I didn't use any RTV since both surface was very clean and flat, and not pitted.
There are four bolts that goes through the water jacket engine block, and I also used Pertmatex Thread Sealant with PTFE (Item #80632).
The rest of the bolts you can use blue loc-tite on them

Restoring my GN after 15 years the picture above was extremely helpful. My water pump outlet pipe completely corroded, after taking off the hose there was two inches worth of solid gunk on the inside! The picture above was extremely helpful as it points out the locations of bolts that are wet as well as bolts that are dry. Just wanted to give a friendly bump just in case anyone else is doing a water pump.

Looks like the flowkooler is the way to go?

Long bolts get the sealant, the others get never seize. Steel fasteners into an aluminum housing is a recipe of seized fasteners.

Hello everyone.

I did some searching and came up empty, forgive me if I missed something.

I am installing a new water pump on my T-Type and I am not sure which bolts require silicone, and whether the gasket needs a light coat of silicone or not. I never use silicone on any gaskets and so far it has worked for me so I am more concerned with the bolts and which if not all need silicone and should it be just on the threads or up and down the entire shaft of the bolt.

Thanks guys in advance!
You need it on the three bolts around the water passages on each side. If you’re doing the whole timing cover. I used arp 567 sealer.. no leaks. If just the water pump then I’m not sure lol. I didn’t replace my water pump. Just the whole timing cover with a pump already on it.