Warrenty work question...

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
I need to take the '06 GTO in for a stuck ignition. I bought the car used, but its only 2 years old since date of sale, and has just over 21k miles on a 3/36,000 warrenty. From what I've heard, this could take several weeks (parts shipped from OZ, Aussie car). Do I get a loaner, and are there any issues with taking the car to a dealer that it wasn't bought from, especially since I'm the 2nd owner? Never had a car with a warrenty.

You can take it to any GM dealer, doesn't have to be Pontiac. The loaner will depend on the dealer. I don't believe that they owe it to you, but they may have some courtesy cars available.

As long as the car is under it factory warranty, you should have no problem being the second owner or taking it to another dealer. This may be a good time to think about an extended warranty if you are already having trouble. If the dealer suggest it and you decide to go that way, make sure it is a GMPP warranty. These are the ones sponsored by the manufactorer and are much better than the third party vendor ones.

If you decide not to go that way, make sure you keep up with the paperwork. This could turn into a reoccuring problem and you will need documentation.

As far as a loaner, I doubt the factory warranty calls for one. Usually that will be covered in an extended warranty or through your insurance company. Check with your ins carrier, most policies these days come with a loaner, but some are specific to accidents and not mechanical work.

I have several other cars I can drive, but they are all older (87GN, 95TSI Talon, 93 S15, 97 SS z28), and I need something reliable. I probably do have it on the insurance, but as was mentioned, its probably for wrecks and not for warranty work.

Thanks guys!

Double check with the your ins carrier, you never know what they slip in these days :rolleyes:

Don't waste you time calling your insurance company. It is for accidents, not mechanical failures!!!!

BLACK6PACK.

If it's just your key stuck in the ignition, or the key won't turn to unlock the steering wheel, there is a post on ls1gto.com that talks about this exact issue.
The locking mechanisms locking pin forms a groove that over time will stick and not allow the key to turn.

Here is the post.

LS1GTO.com Forums - Locked Ignition Switch

As said before, any GM dealership can fix it under warranty. And with all the dealership horror stories I've heard, I would make sure to document your mileage as they shouldn't have to test drive the car any further than around the lot for this kind of fix. This is a known problem, as well as chipping paint on the door handles. They should cover that under warranty as well. I'm going to have mine replaced here soon myself. The handles that is.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

The crappy thing is, its a small metal pin in the ignition lock that is made of a soft metal, and the parts have to be flown in from Oz. I've heard of it taking up to 5 weeks to get it fixed. At first they were replacing the entire steering column at $1500 a pop. Its a known problem with these cars.

A lot of times how you approach the service manager makes a difference. Most dealerships have cars they have assigned to rental (internally,at dealership) that they use for loaners. I have found that if you spend a little money there every now and again, they can "massage" the "rules" to do pretty much whatever they want to do.

Flip side of the coin...demanding pushy behavior will get you pointed to the..."we don't have loaners" sign.

As far as miles...tape a sticky note with the miles over the speedometer. Ask the service guy for a pen and write it down in front of him. You don'thave to say anything...he'll know.

Took it in yesterday at 1pm, they were trying to get me to bring it in in a couple of days, I said that if I don't get it in now, there's a good chance it will need to be towed in, so I didn't have much of a leg to stand on with a loaner. They gave me a ride home, and I hopped in the Talon. Got a call this morning at 8am saying the car was done.