Want to go stroker...

Hello Everyone,

I am new here although always been a fan of the GN. Anyway I picked up an 87 GN for myself for Christmas and just love it. I am looking to do a killer stroker engine for it. I have been looking at the Scat kits and the Weber Kits. So the question is: Anyone have any good or bad experience with a " Stroker " kit(s)? In addition what time of number are they making? longevity. I have no real plans to campaign the car at the tracks. Although I personally believe in extremes.

Anythoigh you could share would be a great help.

they are all very similar

probably from the same foundry in china,
go with someone you feel comfortable with,
preferably a TB vendor!

is one better than another?
my opinion......... no

I have heard great reviews about the DLS stoker kits too. But getting a kit from a proven Buick vendor would be best. DLS, Weber, RPE, etc.

Seems like Weber and DLS are the two most mentioned around here. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback.

.......I have no real plans to campaign the car at the tracks. Although I personally believe in extremes......

Since you are NOT planning track use for this car, a stroker build will be of very little benefit on the street and you will see no performance increase. :)

Below 6000 RPM we have never seen any improvement of performance due to the little added displacement. :confused:

A production 109 GN build can easily go into the 9's with a stock stroke, and have had them go 9.2's with the proper build, for a few runs anyway. :eek:

You will be better off going with a 4.1 build that has a larger bore, as that will give you MUCH more torque for street performance. :biggrin:

Since you are NOT planning track use for this car, a stroker build will be of very little benefit on the street and you will see no performance increase. :)

Below 6000 RPM we have never seen any improvement of performance due to the little added displacement. :confused:

A production 109 GN build can easily go into the 9's with a stock stroke, and have had them go 9.2's with the proper build, for a few runs anyway. :eek:

You will be better off going with a 4.1 build that has a larger bore, as that will give you MUCH more torque for street performance. :biggrin:

Well said:)

i got a weber stroker and i can say that i did notice faster spool and a little more bottom end grunt. no track times yet. got to say it is impressive at 15 psi. if your going for street use i would stick with what you got and build from it. put an alky kit and a ta49 and it will be an impressive 11 sec. street car.

i got a weber stroker and i can say that i did notice faster spool and a little more bottom end grunt. no track times yet.....

Not to be a "dick", but to "notice a little more bottom end grunt" should be normal, and expected, with a new $10K or so build. :)

So a fresh and better than stock valve job, increased, and maybe higher compression than before, are most likely responsible for your more "grunt".

When I install a fresh engine in a customer's GN, and there is no better feel than before, he would be pissed. :eek:

Personally, I have changed my rotating assembly from 3.40" stroke to 3.625" and could only document 0.10 difference in 1/4 mile performance. This is with the same tune and ALL other parameters and items the same.:rolleyes:

Not to be a "dick", but to "notice a little more bottom end grunt" should be normal, and expected, with a new $10K or so build. :)

So a fresh and better than stock valve job, increased, and maybe higher compression than before, are most likely responsible for your more "grunt".

When I install a fresh engine in a customer's GN, and there is no better feel than before, he would be pissed. :eek:

Personally, I have changed my rotating assembly from 3.40" stroke to 3.625" and could only document 0.10 difference in 1/4 mile performance. This is with the same tune and ALL other parameters and items the same.:rolleyes:

dick!:biggrin:lol

cha ching

ive seen them all fly apart if your staying on the street keep it simple ..go with bolt ons to go faster . if you decide to go to the track go DLS you wont be disapointed .but i dont have anything against weber its all good stuff

To the OP...... you are new to the turbo Buick's....... the very first thing you should do is set an ET goal.

IMHO.....you need to analyze that before you consider dropping the change on a stroker.

The ET goal and intended use of the car will lead to a recipe to get there with the right parts.

IMHO..... if you drive the car regularly....stay with goals no quicker than 11.0 in the 1/4. Once you "want" to go much faster than that......it gets alot more expensive.

i thought

probably from the same foundry in china,
go with someone you feel comfortable with,
preferably a TB vendor!

is one better than another?
my opinion......... no

scat was in cali do you know something new ive used them in the past allways top shelf made in the usa do you know when this changed

scat

uses china made crank/rods etc.
final finishes them in redondo beach , calif.
at least the did, last yr.
who knows now!

huh

been in biz for like 45 years .. before our dealings with china . nice to know .so many have gone ultra cheap trow away. sign of the times