Wanna Be Cheap

currently? I would say $5000 for a project. Back inthe mid 90's you could have picked up a junker for 2000, but now any decent running TR is between 10-15g. Even the hotair cars are going for big bucks lately. I know, have been thinking of picking up a daily driver and can't afford another one right now.

You're probably looking 8-10k for a decent ride. You can pick up a nice hot air with mods for well under 10, but I could be wrong because 2 years ago you could get a sweet hot air (84-85) for around 5 or under, now they sit higher. I picked up my car about 2 years ago. Paid 2k for it but needed a motor, has a few rust issues, and needed seats, carpet, upper door panels, basically everything wearable and that unbolts needed/needs replaced. Cheap projects are getting hard to find. Even hot air and carbed are going for decent chunks now. Best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, or start looking in back yards. I missed out on a 87 limited turbo for 1500 bucks:eek: :mad: Sometimes the best deals are sitting right out in front of you-keep an eye out, ask around, chase down whatever you hear. Where are you located?

yup, pretty much. I probably don't make enough to afford one of these cars. Hell I took a loan out just to buy my barn find. Buy a piece of crap, put it in the garage, tear it apart and don't let it out until everything fixed, working, and nice. You'll be way more pleased. I threw a motor in mine and drove it for about 1 week. I couldn't drive the train wreck any longer.

Buying cheap is great if you can find one and know what you're looking for/ know what you're doing. Buying cheap is bad if you don't know what you're buying. It could get very expensive.

you can buy them cheap but they are a big black hole that sucks your money and time in it. but the payoff is good nothing like leaving hard out of the gate in a gn. they are 20ish yrs old and require alot of money to get some satisfaction. SOUNDS FAMILIAR IF YOU A SUGAR DADDY:biggrin:

you can buy them cheap but they are a big black hole that sucks your money and time in it. but the payoff is good nothing like leaving hard out of the gate in a gn. they are 20ish yrs old and require alot of money to get some satisfaction. SOUNDS FAMILIAR IF YOU A SUGAR DADDY:biggrin:

Brian is right, these cars are money pits, lol! I have two old Mopar musclecars and I love them, but since I bought my Buick in 2004 they have moved to the back burner. The feeling of boost from a Turbo Buick is awesome and I am addicted! :eek:

Brian is right, these cars are money pits, lol! I have two old Mopar musclecars and I love them, but since I bought my Buick in 2004 they have moved to the back burner. The feeling of boost from a Turbo Buick is awesome and I am addicted! :eek:

whats up JOE!!! QUAKER CITY HERE WE COME:biggrin: GOT MY 24 ROW

Picked up my GN in 04 for 2800.. Needs seats rug rust issues pass floor board.. I have already rebuilt the motorw some nice upgrades and trans is up next... I was sooo desperate for a GN i was looking at drivetrains to put in my 85 na regal... I look at my reciepts and if I would have saved the $$$ i could have gotten a really mint one, but i drive mine everyday so it serves its purpose... For a decent GN or TType to sink a lil $$ 6500-8000 could pick you up a gd one... My opinion get a cra that is as close to as stock as possible or if its modded buy from someone u can trust...
PS- the word cheap and Turbo Buick will never be in the same sentence unfortunately.. Dont get into it if you dont want to spend...

If you have the money buy a nice one. Don't be cheap and get something for $5-7k you'll hate yourself for doing it. Performance parts add up $$$$. Why spend thousands polishing a turd. You'll be $8k into making the $5-7k car look like a $13k car. Then you need to spend more $$$$ to go fast. Unless you have the money and time don't do it. Just my opinion. ;)

The prices of these cars will continue to go up in price whether its hot air or intercooled.Lucky me I got mine in a trade.Got tired of the mustangs so wanted something very different.I'm very deep in mine,and hopefully can drive it this year. What a miss is when people double take at the car.

$4k

I bought my T-Type last year for an amazing $4K. What are the odds of that? The only problem the car had was a leaky vacuum line... $1.79 later was on its way to a new home.:biggrin: Anyhow, the previous owner didn't know how to diagnose the problem:eek: :confused: , so he was very kind and sold it to me.:D

Be patient in looking and save your money till you find a good deal or something affordable. I will probably only have 6-7 when mine is finished but then I got upgrades after that if I choose to do so (probably will;) ). If you find a project car that is complete that is the best way to go. As far as rust issues there is always someone hawking sheetmetal for these cars and there are always n/a regals to cut up cause they are nothing but DDs to me. If you got guys that know motors and guys that know body work then a project is definitely the way to go, as LONG AS ITS COMPLETE....and you don't mind the countless hours of work and frustration. I myself have always enjoyed getting my @ss kicked by every single project I've owned:)

A silver T....

Just sold here about two or three weeks ago for $5,500.00. had 89k miles on the 87. I was going to call on it, but it was gone in a week!:mad: