Waddling like a duck!

Nero328

I know this sounds strange but I am trying to figure out exactly what is happening here...

When at WOT at around 70 MPH my GN starts to waddle in the rear. I am having hell getting traction but its not like a normal loss of traction where you can just counter steer and straighten it up. The only way to arrest this "waddle" is to get out of the throttle. If I stay in it the problem begins to get MUCH worse and I am convinced it will ultimately cause me to just lose control all together. It will only do this if I really push it past 3/4 throttle at higer speeds.

I dont know if it makes a difference but I have a stock rear suspension set up with air bags that do not have any pressure in them right now. I also have a completely stock rear end but as you can see in my signature I dont have anything that really resembles a stock motor or turbo anymore.

Apologoize I spoke to my friend and he told me it was the rear end bushing that caused the rear end to sway back & fourth not the tires being to big on the rim. I'm glad you got the issue sorted out.

Last edited:
A friend had the same problem and it was because he's rear tires where to wide on the factory rim and would wobble under hard acceleration around 70mph. He was running 295 50 15 on the factory rim I believe. Hope this helps.
Interesting...I will have to look at mine when I get home. I bought this car about 6 months ago and have had a lot of other things to deal with and tires wasnt one of them so I have no clue what tires are on it other than they are round! Thanks, I will look into this when I get home this evening.

Do the Gbody shuffle! lol. Mine does this, tho less severely, when my airbags are deflated.

Control arm bushing are probably shot.

Control arm bushing are probably shot.
I am going to check that out this weekend when I can put it on the lift and really ispect everything. I have brand new H+R Control arms and busings so they may go in this weekend too!

My car was doing the same crap. Felt like someone was on each side of the car rocking it side to side. I did all 4 shocks, re installed frt sway bar and it helped but still did it under hard accel. When I replaced the rear bar with the ATR bar it's gone. I think it is a combination of control arm bushings need replacing and my rear springs have sagged and it screws up the camber/caster.

My car was doing the same crap. Felt like someone was on each side of the car rocking it side to side. I did all 4 shocks, re installed frt sway bar and it helped but still did it under hard accel. When I replaced the rear bar with the ATR bar it's gone. I think it is a combination of control arm bushings need replacing and my rear springs have sagged and it screws up the camber/caster.
EXACTLY! I will check it all out this weekend. I am fairly certain that this car has a posi track but I need to check the code when I get home...I know every time I step on the gas over 1/4 throttle both tires spin so I am 99% sure about it being a posi

So you are saying adding air to my bags will solve this issue? What pressure do you normally run?
not necessarily. I think my bushings are kind of worn so pushing the bags to 20ish psi compensates. Yours sounds more severe. I'd suspect Control Arms as well.

My control arm bushings are worn so I will replace those with the HR uppers and lowers that I have but I put 20 PSI in the right bag and 15 in the left last night and it seemed to clear things up. I think changing the control arms and bushings this weekend will fix the problem permanently...I will report back to complete this thread in case anyone else has this down the line. The only problem is that they will need to search for "Waddling like a duck"!

My control arm bushings are worn so I will replace those with the HR uppers and lowers that I have but I put 20 PSI in the right bag and 15 in the left last night and it seemed to clear things up. I think changing the control arms and bushings this weekend will fix the problem permanently...I will report back to complete this thread in case anyone else has this down the line. The only problem is that they will need to search for "Waddling like a duck"!
(y) Thats exactly what I would search for when asking about suspension! Let me know who those HR's do. Looking into them as well.

You will be pleased with the HR suspension.

X2, air or no air in the bags shouldn't make a difference, the springs support the car.
I say bushings too.
The HR adjustable control arms, Mickey Thompson streets and 15 PSI I the right and 10 in the left fixed the problem. No more traction issues and no more waddling!